Meshuggah Megamushthread!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Holy shit that was spectacular!!
its going to take some beating for my video of the year!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Marten is the interview king. I feel like the other guys do an 1/8 of the amount of interviews he does, but He always says things that make complete sense. I feel like his (and their) ability to keep their heads on straight is what defines success.

Mårten and Tomas, I'd say.

Edit: Aaaand Mårten touched upon the thing that I feel is missing to make Djent a "proper" subgenre: A clear direction. According to the people who claim to love djent, Keith Merrow and Animals As Leaders are both Djent. There are so many bands that are supposedly djent, but I don't see how they all relate to tie into this new subgenre. The places where they meet are already subgenres: Progressive metal, Tech metal, etc. Djent is basically just a sprinkle of a few subgenres with a certain tonality to it... Except the bands don't always have that tonality either. So yeah, it's confusing, and it's the subject of a huge amount of misconceptions and misunderstandings.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
New music video is their best yet. Reminds me a lot of Tool's videos for tracks like 'Parabol' and 'Schism'.

Mårten and Tomas, I'd say.

Edit: Aaaand Mårten touched upon the thing that I feel is missing to make Djent a "proper" subgenre: A clear direction. According to the people who claim to love djent, Keith Merrow and Animals As Leaders are both Djent. There are so many bands that are supposedly djent, but I don't see how they all relate to tie into this new subgenre. The places where they meet are already subgenres: Progressive metal, Tech metal, etc. Djent is basically just a sprinkle of a few subgenres with a certain tonality to it... Except the bands don't always have that tonality either. So yeah, it's confusing, and it's the subject of a huge amount of misconceptions and misunderstandings.

That's why I've always considered it a movement rather than a genre, like nu-metal. Nu-metal had a huge range of influences: rap, world music, industrial, progressive etc, while maintaining common elements. But I don't want to turn this into one of those threads...

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
New video is fucking awesome! I'm slightly irked by the immediate comparisons to Tool though, it detracts from the incredible art direction of this video, the best music video I've seen in a very, very long time. Ho hum.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
That music video... holy fuck! Best music video I've seen in so long.

Doug N

Reaction score
New video is fucking awesome! I'm slightly irked by the immediate comparisons to Tool though, it detracts from the incredible art direction of this video, .

I hear what you're saying but stylistically it's very similar to a few old Tool vids, hard to argue with that. That doesn't make it a bad thing.

DTay47

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying but stylistically it's very similar to a few old Tool vids, hard to argue with that. That doesn't make it a bad thing.

If anything I would say it is a compliment, as the Tool video's it is being compared to are awesome. Seriously great video though.

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
That captures the feel of the song perfectly! What an ending too, the build-up is great and you're thinking "ooh show me the goddamn colossus!" and then there it is!

I think it encapsulates what made the earlier Tool videos good. I thought Adam Jones' move to 3D animation detracted from the overall experience; the sickly feeling that stop-motion gives, the visual realism (no uncanny valley stuff) and scale thanks to a shallow DoF. This is more of a continuation of those ideals than a throwback, and I really like it!

Kapee

ss.org Master
Reaction score

Saw them first time and it was awesome! I think i got tinnitus from that gig, but i think its worth it! :hbang:

Encore was fucking awesome

Maku

Banned
Reaction score
Saw them yesterday in Estonia with Decapitated and I must say that it was indescribable. No regrets.

')