Meshuggah Megamushthread!!

Dooky

Reaction score
Didn't he do that when he was in soulfly? Or was it Roots that he started doing that? Either way I think when he did that his music started going downhill so.....

He's been doing it since the very early 90's (including the album 'Arise'). So......

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Obzen was the opposite of organic. It was an extremely cold and sterile album. It worked for that kind of music.
And Fredrik has his signature Randall amps, is he still using those? He's posted a bunch of pictures of their amps on Instagram, mostly Randall and Marshall stuff.

The Randall sig isn't happening. He stopped using Randall when Fortin left the company.

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
Production sounds a bit sub par and not hugely excited by the track to be honest :(

I agree. To me the guitars sound kinda brittle or something and the track is IMO below average for Meshuggah. I prefer the sound of Meshuggah from both "Obzen" and "Koloss".

Never liked Meshuggah one bit prior to those 2 albums. Still I am pretty excited for their new album...I do not think one track will define the whole album.

bulb

Reaction score
Just listened to the new track a bunch of times and I absolutely love it. Vibe is captured. Fantastic job Meshuggah!

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
I agree that Jens definitely sounds like he's pretty done.

dude's 50 years old and has been screaming his dick off since 1989, so you can't really blame him, but the vocals do sound a bit phoned in.

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
Eh, I'm probably just used to their old sound, but there is a middle ground between hyper-polished djent tones and doom metal mushiness :agreed:

Sure there is man, and I'm not saying they should follow my personal lead - thats dumb. I mean I like it because its different, I love Doom but I can't listen to it everyday of the week. But we are talking aesthetics and its all stamped with YMMV because what I like and what you like are obviously different things - and thats fine.

Thats why we make music anyway - I'm just offering fourth a bunch of subjective opinions about how I found the Djent tone to be horrible and I like a certain thing, my flippant jokes about progress aside. I throw it out just to be another voice in a board that does seem to favour certain trends in metal music.

Till the next trend of Nihilistic-tapdance-ambient-core or something :lol:

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
I love how every time a popular band releases a new single casual critics around the internet suddenly become tone/musical/mastering experts upon first listen.

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
The riff after the solo was the only thing I enjoyed on the first listen. Vocals were meh.
Anticipating a change of opinion when I receive the album in its entirety though.

extendedsolo

Reaction score
I love how every time a popular band releases a new single casual critics around the internet suddenly become tone/musical/mastering experts upon first listen.

IT'S BECAUSE IN OUR EVERYDAY LIVES NO ONE CARES ABOUT OUR OPINIONS....OH DEAR GOD LET MY OPINION MATTER!!!!!! *runs into room and cries*

The song is growing on me though.

partialdeafness

Reaction score

?
This is a site for music fans. When there is new music by a big band, it gets...discussed!

Comments are largely positive, and that is my impression. It's a good track, not as exciting as a lot of Meshuggah, but why would anyone expect every song to be?

Eager for more of The Violent Sleep of Reason.:hbang:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I will admit it's funny seeing people expect more uber-polished sterile Meshuggah, and are miffed that it's more like DEI/Chaosphere-era Meshuggah. :lol:

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
To me the song continues the groove factor of Koloss (my personal favorite) while bringing the tonal vibe closer to their roots. It's growing on me, feels like I'm finally fluent in "Meshuggah" just as they're streamlining the language.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
?
This is a site for music fans. When there is new music by a big band, it gets...discussed!

Comments are largely positive, and that is my impression. It's a good track, not as exciting as a lot of Meshuggah, but why would anyone expect every song to be?

Eager for more of The Violent Sleep of Reason.:hbang:

Discussion is one thing, look through this thread and read some of the nonsense people write. The same thing happened whenever periphery started having singles released. "Ughhh gosh that could have been so much better if they did it this way..."

Read my original post again because you obviously didn't understand it.

extendedsolo

Reaction score
Discussion is one thing, look through this thread and read some of the nonsense people write. The same thing happened whenever periphery started having singles released. "Ughhh gosh that could have been so much better if they did it this way..."

Read my original post again because you obviously didn't understand it.

We live in a time where ignorant negativity is masquerading as intelligent constructive criticism.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
I will admit it's funny seeing people expect more uber-polished sterile Meshuggah, and are miffed that it's more like DEI/Chaosphere-era Meshuggah. :lol:
Well yeah, since Obzen is their best album :fawk:

Is there some kind of counter on how many times they use certain words in their lyrics? I bet Meshuggah have some kind of world record on using the word "degeneration" in their lyrics. I love Jens style of writing lyrics where he's just reading aloud from a thesarus, like in Bleed. "My crimson liquid so frantically spilled", I mean, who talks like that? :lol:

Latest posts

')