Messin with solid state

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
try and find an old Ampeg SS150 or VH140C. much classic death metal was forged with them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Bailey

Reaction score
Gonna keep my eye on this thread, been interested in solid state amps lately.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
You should of given the Uber Metal a try, it has a built in noise gate so it dosen't whine like a metal zone, to ME it sounds pretty awesome, I use it with a BOSS GE7 Eq pedal to adjust my sound even more, it really is a good pedal, DEFINETLY better than the metal zone.

DeathShred1

Reaction score
The Ampeg vh-140c is an awesome head for death metal. I own one and couldnt be much happier with it. I run a sonic maximizer in the effects loop and a noise gate pedal and it fucking slays. I have played all kinds of amps and pre amps and pedals in front of amps and for my taste in death metal distortion it just rules. I wouldnt mind getting a badass tube amp though for death metal just to have something else to play around with. And the Ampeg is really loud as well. I only have my heads volume set at 3 1/2 or 4 at practice and its loud as shit. Our drummer runs triggers through a monster P.A we got and our bass player plays a Ampeg bass head the same ones Alex Webster uses ( Cannibal Corpse) and it keeps up with everything at that volume. Amazing!
Too bad Ampeg doesnt make the VH-140c anymore. I have heard rumours over the last couple of years of Ampeg remaking the head again but that might just be a rumour!

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
there's no doubt the VH140C is a classic amp for death metal, but i've always prefered the SS150 over it. it does everything the VH140C does, but does it better IMO :shrug:

DeathShred1

Reaction score
You know a friend of mine has alot of Ampeg heads. He has like 4 of them from the SS and VH series. I never knew Ampeg made a VH 130c head.
I thought that was weird. It says VH-130 on one of his heads. I will have to ask him about it. I think he told me one time before its the same as the VH-140c but without chorus! :scratch:

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
I use a Marshall AVT150H- best head/solid state head ive ever played through. 4 channels, including acoustic simulator, (piezo tone without the piezos), gorgeous clean channel, 2 OD's. i think youll love it

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
That's definitely on my wish list, but I never see any for sale. I'm just waiting for warriorofmetal to put his in the for sale forum. If you know where I can get one, let me know.

:lol: i traded the amp + cash for a VHT Deliverance like 2 months ago.

i see them for sale from time to time on Harmony Central, though.

FoxZero

Zero Imperfections
Reaction score
That sounds awesome man.

I gotta say, I've heard some amazing metal tones from the Randell Warhead. I'd love to own one just too have a good metal tone at a volume that doesn't give a me a headache. I remember Phychostick (not death metal, but heavy) use to record with them, then they switch over to the 6505 and I don't like their tone as much any more. They killed my 6505 gas, brutally.

')