Metal bands that play Fender amps?

• Thread starter vilk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

broj15

Reaction score
And did this happen to come in a head only version? If so, my Ampeg may have just become obsolete.

Edit: found it, don't need it for that price
Yeah I just spotted one on reverb for about $550. They came a rack mount version or with a rat fur enclosure. Same for the Sunn 1200s (again, same amp as the 1200w class D hybrid) but these were apparently really prone to failure. Here lately I've been seeing fender versions go for anywhere from $450-550 depending on condition. There's a few people trying to sell them for more than that, but they aren't getting it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

akinari

Reaction score
only for cleans I'm pretty sure, Ron Varod says they used a Sunn Model T, a Hiwatt 100 and a Plexi for the dirt on Hubardo. I assume the other albums are similar

Those were borrowed for the overdubs. Live, it's just twins. Coffins and PHOBOS are just the twin. This is a technicality though because those aren't their most metal albums :lol:

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a ‘73 Super Reverb that sounds good for heavy stuff with the right pedal. Also have a solid state 2x12 100 watt Fender combo that gets plenty heavy on its own.

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
I use a Fender Twin for half of my rig and it sounds incredible. The open back adds a lot of space to your sound when paired with a closed back 4x12.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I use a Fender Twin for half of my rig and it sounds incredible. The open back adds a lot of space to your sound when paired with a closed back 4x12.

Just add jcm800 and aby and enjoy :lol:

Alex79

Reaction score
Since the EVH brand is owned by Fender, I’d say a lot of metal bands use “Fender” amps even if they are labelled EVH.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
If you go that far then you could include every metal band that's ever used a Sunn reissue. The Model T reissue is basically the same circuit as the Pro Tube Evil Twin that came after it, so not even that much of a stretch. 300T went into the Bassman 300 too.

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
Fender amps are pretty universally thought of as a clean canvas to paint your tone with pedals.

Pick any distortion pedal that isn't the Metal Zone and you're probably good to go.

I don't play much Metal these days but I love the sounds I'm getting from my Twin Reverb sim. Add some OD and it gets you a kind of SRV or early Punk Rock distortion (depending how hot the gain is). And if I need a little extra sustain, I'll switch to the Bassman sim.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
The Tweed Bassmans are what Marshall was trying to clone (with the valves he had available in the UK). Therefore, we all use Fender circuits, but the circuit is now in a different cabinet.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score

Totally, open back cabs are super underrated IMO, especially as a compliment to a 4x12. I have a Mesa 3/4 back 2x12 cab which I think achieves a similar effect. Lets the cab breathe a little more and sounds a bit bigger in the room while still being punchy. Not *quite* as punchy as a fully closed back cab, but seems more balanced overall. I have been on the lookout for a Road King 3/4 back 4x12 too, but they can be hard to find. .-.

Last edited:

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
The Tweed Bassmans are what Marshall was trying to clone (with the valves he had available in the UK). Therefore, we all use Fender circuits, but the circuit is now in a different cabinet.
Ehhh kind of a slippery slope. Next you'll be saying that all electric instruments are theremins or Western Europeans all speak Latin

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Ehhh kind of a slippery slope. Next you'll be saying that all electric instruments are theremins or Western Europeans all speak Latin

Not really. The cranked Fender Bassman sound is the sound of rock. Marshall made it louder. Brian Setzer is a good example of what a cranked Bassman sounds like and it certainly has nothing to do with the latter Blackface models. Tweed amps (and their circuits) are the sound.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Not really. The cranked Fender Bassman sound is the sound of rock. Marshall made it louder. Brian Setzer is a good example of what a cranked Bassman sounds like and it certainly has nothing to do with the latter Blackface models. Tweed amps (and their circuits) are the sound.
And in my high school Latin text, about halfway through they insert section that is written in Spanish without telling you it's not Latin (I think they also removed accent marks) and then on the next page is like "Actually that was Spanish, not Latin! Aren't you surprised you could read it so easily?"

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
And in my high school Latin text, about halfway through they insert section that is written in Spanish without telling you it's not Latin (I think they also removed accent marks) and then on the next page is like "Actually that was Spanish, not Latin! Aren't you surprised you could read it so easily?"

I'll try to make this as easy as I can for you, because you insist on a weak analogy. Language took thousands of years to develop. Jim Marshall took Leo Fender's schematic and changed the tubes.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I'll try to make this as easy as I can for you, because you insist on a weak analogy. Language took thousands of years to develop. Jim Marshall took Leo Fender's schematic and changed the tubes.
:lol: Take a pill, dude, I'm just goofing around. Believe it or not, I already knew that about Marshall trying to copy the Bassman.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If Grindcore counts, then Nasum was mostly a DS-1 into a Dual Showman until their last album, which was Mesas + some HM-2 sprinkled on top.

Not sure if we want to discount Doom/Stoner bands plugging a fuzz into a clean amp because it's a more oldschool sound, but then again, what's the practical difference between that and plugging a DS1 even if the result is more modern?
Already mentioned, but Alcest is a RAT into a Twin and a Jazz Chorus. If Boris counts as well, then one of their collaborators, Michio Kurihara, uses a Twin as well. Sunn O))) also had some Twins on Life Metal along with the other stuff they usually use. All Them Witches is another Twin, with a Green Muff clone and/or a Blues Driver.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
And for what it's worth, All Them Witches live sound is quite massive. They played with Mastodon up in Maine a few years back, and it was a good time.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I know Anvil's kind of a punchline, but IIRC Lips Kudlow uses a Tokai distortion pedal into Fender amps.

')