Metal bands with good lyrics

• Thread starter Holy Katana
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Holy Katana

Wait, what?
Reaction score
Now, I just posted in another thread that I don't really listen to much metal anymore. It's not that I don't like it anymore, it's that I'm bored to tears by the lyrics.

See, I got into writing poetry last spring, and pretty much ever since then, I've begun to care a lot more about lyrics in music. Metal has never really been about lyrics, but I know that there are some great metal songwriters out there, like John Petrucci, Warrel Dane, and to a lesser extent, Mikael Åkerfeldt. I'd like to know of some more metal bands that have great lyrics, or at least bands that put a real emphasis on lyrics. I don't care what subgenre they are, although I'm not that fond of power metal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Harris

Banned
Reaction score
Cannibal Corpse, Bloodbath, Nile, Dying Fetus, etc.

Start with those, you can't go wrong. ;)

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
Off the top of my head...

Immolation
Metallica (early)
Anata
Atheist
Bathory
Strapping Young Lad
Tool
Nile

Metal has never really been about lyrics, but I know that there are some great metal songwriters out there, like John Petrucci, Warrel Dane, and to a lesser extent, Mikael Åkerfeldt.

Meh, Akerfeldt's Lyrics rape the hell out of most metal bands these days, whereas John Petrucci's lyrics are rather :noway: Just my opinion though; But Petrucci's lyrics are bland and kind of unimaginative to me.

Holy Katana

Wait, what?
Reaction score
Off the top of my head...

Immolation
Metallica (early)
Anata
Atheist
Bathory
Strapping Young Lad
Tool
Nile

Meh, Akerfeldt's Lyrics rape the hell out of most metal bands these days, whereas John Petrucci's lyrics are rather :noway: Just my opinion though; But Petrucci's lyrics are bland and kind of unimaginative to me.

I like Mike's lyrics, but, I don't know. I didn't mean he wasn't a great songwriter, I just think he abuses the thesaurus too much. Then again, so do I, so I'm probably just projecting.

I like Petrucci's lyrics. Well, some of them. I love "Misunderstood." As it turns out, most of the songs I thought Petrucci wrote were actually by James.

Sonata Arctica!! :lol:

Jesus Christ, no. Thanks for reminding me of that horribly botched abortion of a song, "Shy."

troyguitar

Reaction score
Nightwish maybe.

I don't listen to lyrics in any music. If I want to hear/read good writing, I'll pick up an actual book.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I know from a musical aspect, most people hate Whitechapel. But read some of the lyrics. Genius.

I also suggest:
After the Burial
All Shall Perish
The Faceless
The Black Dahlia Murder
The Human Abstract
Protest The Hero
Rose Funeral

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I actually think Phil Anselmo wrote some pretty great lyrics for Pantera. He definitely wrote his fair share of bullshit, but there was more than enough good that I think he comes out ahead.

Daylight Dies is great for really personal, depressing stuff. I think Kevin Moore's lyrics absolutely blow away those of any other Dream Theater member (I also prefer the music from the Moore years). Disillusion's lyrics are pretty eloquent. Despite fairly frequent mispronunciations, Vurtox's use of the English language is pretty impressive, I think. Pain of Salvation pre-Scarsick (i.e. not horrible goatshit) was great, although they're not a very "metal" band. I really enjoyed Mike Muir's lyrics from Suicidal Tendencies' thrash period, although they certainly lacked subtlety at times.

CynicEidolon

And still he waits..
Reaction score
One of the best lyricists ever is Aaron Turner. Not much of a singer per say, but he writes beautifully!

Isis is the band, that is.

jaredowty

Reaction score
Metal has never really been about lyrics, but I know that there are some great metal songwriters out there, like John Petrucci, Warrel Dane, and to a lesser extent, Mikael Åkerfeldt.

Mikael and Warrel are two of my favorites but Petrucci's are just DRENCHED in cheese and blandness, IMO (as with most of DT's lyrics, although there are notable exceptions).

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Nevermore has always had some of my favorite lyrics in metal.

JouniK86

Autistic philosopher
Reaction score
Cradle of Filth have great lyrics, even though kinda "outdated" as a style and way of writing. I also love Åkerfeldt's lyrics on Opeth, Schuldiner's lyrics on Death-albums (especially the records of 90s). I also like Peter Dolving's style on all the Haunted -albums he participated as well as Garm's minimalistic but multi-dimensional style (on latter Ulver).

I am absolutely enthralled by people who have a way with the words and I'm trying to recreate the same kind of multi-dimensionality like Garm, same kind of straight-forwardness as Dolving and the same kind of passion and twist like Dani Davey. They are my top three favorites from the metal scene, but there are so many great lyricists outside metal too.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
I too am of the opinion that metal bands do not place enough emphasis on good lyricism. The strange thing is, I consider Dream Theater's lyrics to be one of their major flaws - I find them shalllow, banal and unoriginal. These are all flaws that Opeth's music does not suffer from. At all. In my opinion, at least.

Now, there are a few metal bands that I consider to have good, sometimes great, lyrics. They are -

Cradle of Filth
Iron Maiden
Meshuggah
Nightwish
Opeth
Porcupine Tree (if you consider them metal)

')