Metal bands with good lyrics

• Thread starter Holy Katana
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
To be honest as poetic as Opeth's lyrics are, I tend to feel that a lot of the time there isn't a whole lot of weight behind what Akerfeldt is writing. I'm too tired to go looking for it, but I seem to remember an interview where we he said that Ghost Reveries was "about Satan and stuff" or something along those line.

I think he's a great poet with a good vocabulary (or use of the dictionary), but tends to have songs that are about very little.

They're still one of my favourite bands, and I think his lyrics are really cool, but whether they're really as deep as they SEEM is still an undecided point for me.

Ian Kenny from Karnivool/Birds of Tokyo writes what I think are poignant and sometimes deceptively simply lyrics that affect me a lot. Steven Wilson's Lyrics also can be great (they can also be like :scratch::nuts::spock:)

Tool's lyrics are great.

I also like SOME of Slipknot's Lyrics (then again I like lyrics of some songs from most bands), but sometimes they pull out some lines that just make me go :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chronocide

Total Grind Hell
Reaction score
Surprised at the number of mentions of Decapitated. I've never paid much attention but kinda assumed blockheaded standard death metal functional lyrics. I'll need to break out the liner notes for a read.

Dave Hunt is a great writer, whether it be in Anaal Nathrakh/Mistress or Benediction.
Martin Walkier - Sabbat/Skyclad/The Clan Destined
Peter Dolving - The Haunted/Mary Beats Jane

Are the ones that first sprang to mind.

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
Deathspell Omega's lyrics are really amazing if you can get past the :eek:ness of some of it. DEATHSPELL OMEGA LYRICS - "Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice" (2004) album
DEATHSPELL OMEGA LYRICS - "Fas - Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum" (2007) album
DEATHSPELL OMEGA LYRICS - "Crushing The Holy Trinity (Disc 1 Of 3) (DEATHSPELL OMEGA / STABAT MATER)" (2005) split
DEATHSPELL OMEGA LYRICS - "Kénôse" (2005) album
Deathspell Omega said:
Oh how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under the foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant?
Faith and devotion shall be the stones to the temple
Fanaticism and intransigence ignite the flaming crown of malign essence
That is Your host, Lord, and our burden. Hosanna!​
Deathspell Omega said:
The sting of death is sin and the strength of sin is the law
The law of man is His presence and dominion...
We will submit ourselves unto Him
And henceforth walk in His ways
And immolate on thine altar the spirit of individuality
As thou, Lord, desireth sacrifices and obedience
We grant you all human love, kiss the burden that crushes our bones
And yell ecstatically at the spectacle of your abominations
What rewarde shall I geve unto the lorde,
For all the benefites that he hath doen unto me?

Deathspell Omega said:
Ere thou enter farther in such mysteries, comprehend:
The secret of the Lord is for those who fear Him and He will make them know His covenant.
Cursed is he that removeth awaye the marke of hys master to please men and not to serve in secrecy.
Amen.
Blessed is he that maketh the blind to goe oute of hys waye.
Amen.
Cursed is he that putteth his truste in man,
and taketh manne for his defence,
and in his harte goeth from the Lorde.
The lord prevails.
Amen.
Blessed is he that taketh rewarde to slea the soule of innocent bloude.
Amen.
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.
Amen.​

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
phil anselmo is a lyric! so that's the one for me, but also DANZIG! hahahahahah especially in the MISFITS!

thank you come again!

MikeyLHolm

Lightning Mike
Reaction score
Hold on, did I just read 5+ pages and not one mention of King Diamond?

Some of the already mentioned ones:
-Queensryche and their 3 first albums. After that the music started to get bit less interesting so haven't gotten into the latter lyrics that much either.
-Cynic, Death, Control Denied, Pain of Salvation.

And ofc the Cherry on top of all them cakes. Not Metal but Marillion's Fish wrote some really awesome poetic lyrics on 4 first Marillion albums. Easily one of best lyricists ever.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Hold on, did I just read 5+ pages and not one mention of King Diamond?

You beat me to it. King Diamond has awesome stories within the lyrics, and he sings them equally good - "you could easily fall......AND BREAK YOUR NECK...Ahahahha!" ...love that line

I'll second Opeth - although they border on cheese at certain moments

Epyon6

Reaction score
The Black Dahlia Murder has some of the most creative lyrics I have ever herd. Not to say their the greatest ever but, Trevor deffinitly gets creative with his words describing things in his songs.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
Pig Destroyer. Pig Destroyer. Pig Destroyer.

Also Baroness...

... and Anal Cunt

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
You may not like them, but Cradle of Filth (from a poetic standpoint) probably have the best lyricism in modern metal.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Misery Signals' lyrics, and The Ghost Inside's. Not sure if you think TGI is hardcore or metalcore, but either way, Jonathan Vigil's lyrics are quite awesome.

EndOfWill

Reaction score
Trevor Strnad of the Black Dahlia Murder is by far my favorite lyricist.
And The Faceless' lyrics are always a good read (the concepts behind the songs are always interesting).

')