Metal bands with good lyrics

• Thread starter Holy Katana
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joel

Reaction score
Death; listen to lyrics like 'Living Mostrosity'. Its not just pointless gore lyrics like some people would think. The lyrics do actually have meaning.

cosmicamnesia

Reaction score
i agree with the guy who said phil anselmo wrote great lyrics....i also think that the older lamb of god stuff is fantastic....as is some pig destroyer stuff

but i can't believe that no one's said MESHUGGAH yet.....obzen's lyrics are a work of art in themselves!

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
but i can't believe that no one's said MESHUGGAH yet.....obzen's lyrics are a work of art in themselves!

Now, there are a few metal bands that I consider to have good, sometimes great, lyrics. They are -

Cradle of Filth
Iron Maiden
Meshuggah
Nightwish
Opeth
Porcupine Tree (if you consider them metal)

;)

I think Meshuggah's lyrics are pretty much bang on as far as matching with the music is concerned. The music is sterile, emotionless and machine-like, and the lyrics likewise. Only someone like Thomas Haake could write the words "black acidic bile." Lovely.

vgguru39

Reaction score
yea, I would say meshuggah lyrics are the pinnacle for me. Opeth i hold in high esteem as well. Both bands are lyrically superior to most metal IMO. If i wanna listen to lyrics i typically don't listen to too much metal. For me metal is more about the overall sound and music than the words.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Job For A Cowboy (new), Textures, Bloodbath, Aeon, Nevemore(ish), Strapping Young Lad, Decapitated, Thrice (metal?), Sikth, Misery Signals, Opeth

Holy Katana

Wait, what?
Reaction score
;)

I think Meshuggah's lyrics are pretty much bang on as far as matching with the music is concerned. The music is sterile, emotionless and machine-like, and the lyrics likewise. Only someone like Thomas Haake could write the words "black acidic bile." Lovely.

I love how some of the best lyrics come from Swedish bands, considering English isn't even their first language. Yet, they still beat out people who are native speakers.

I do love Meshuggah's lyrics. They're very abstract, and they make you think about what Tomas is trying to say.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Nevermore, Opeth, Burzum, Emperor, Ulver, Nightwish, and Within Temptation.

Panterica

Banned
Reaction score
Nile
EMPEROR
(hate to say it) cradle of filth :noplease:
Behemoth
Marduk \m/
old Mayhem

Nevermore, Opeth, Burzum, Emperor, Ulver, Nightwish, and Within Temptation.

+1 to Burzum and Ulver

2 of the best bands imo

I love how some of the best lyrics come from Swedish bands, considering English isn't even their first language. Yet, they still beat out people who are native speakers.

I do love Meshuggah's lyrics. They're very abstract, and they make you think about what Tomas is trying to say.

we americanians are to busy saying fuck, and ass. the proper way of speaking to all these fucks seems old school. i prefer non native music.
Meshuggah is incredible. i thoroughly agree with your assessment :agreed:
vee concur, sir, vee concur

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Not exactly "metal" but rather rock - Thin Lizzy had some wonderfully romantic and poignant lyrics. One of my absolute favourite bands of all time...

For Metal - Nevermore, Opeth, Symphony X....all good :)

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
Death; listen to lyrics like 'Living Mostrosity'. Its not just pointless gore lyrics like some people would think. The lyrics do actually have meaning.

:yesway: All of Death's lyrics are well thought out and vary in subject matter "Flesh and the power it holds" and "The Philosopher" are awesome too

I'd also have to go with Celtic Frost it's weird but the band are Swiss German yet they include a lot of english words that I have never heard of (languid? sanguine? wtf?) in fact I think they have a better command of the english language than most english people!:lol:

BTW I know everyone hates them but I'm going to mention Deadsy too as some of their stuff mentions various historical and occult themes.

Diggi

Reaction score
Off the top of my head...

Immolation
Metallica (early)
Anata
Atheist
Bathory
Strapping Young Lad
Tool
Nile

+Tool
+1 SYL

Meh, Akerfeldt's Lyrics rape the hell out of most metal bands these days, whereas John Petrucci's lyrics are rather :noway: Just my opinion though; But Petrucci's lyrics are bland and kind of unimaginative to me.

')