Metal/Deathcore Mix Improvement

• Thread starter Kontra5t
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kontra5t

Reaction score
Just curious on some honest opinions on how my current mix set is
for a new project/EP I have coming in the near future.
Now as far as equipment goes I feel I'm at pretty bare minimum, Guitars/Bass Line 6 UX1 - Pod Farm no packs with it, Superior Drummer with no extra packs and reaper.
Where I'm at with it now has came from browsing various posts and asking questions here and there and it's come a long ways from a year or so ago, just wondering from possibly some more seasoned ears/skill on anything you can easily notice wrong or need a slight boost or cut here or there, comparing to other mixes of similar styles it feels extremely weak to me. I know a part of this is various differences in equipment etc..but any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks for your time,,

https://soundcloud.com/user-502689199/swallow

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GodOfChugs

SSO's Chugmeister
Reaction score
In my honest opinion, I think you're just beating yourself up. For "stock" pod farm AND Superior Drummer this is crazy awesome. LOVE the guitar tone and drum tone. Me personally, I HATE stock superior kit (reason I've bought various sound pack expansions)
As a whole mix together, for the style and everything, I think you ....ing nailed it dude
:hbang:

Kontra5t

Reaction score
In my honest opinion, I think you're just beating yourself up. For "stock" pod farm AND Superior Drummer this is crazy awesome. LOVE the guitar tone and drum tone. Me personally, I HATE stock superior kit (reason I've bought various sound pack expansions)
As a whole mix together, for the style and everything, I think you ....ing nailed it dude
:hbang:

Hey thanks alot!!
Yeah I mean I guess for the equipment used its not the worst thing ever.
I just figure comparitively its not up to a standard I'd like to achieve.

Would you happen to know anything upgrade wise as far as software or hardware is concerned to bring something like this to the next level??

pearl_07

Reaction score
This is a perfect example of working with limited resources while still getting great results. Your tone beats the majority of the AxeFx or EZ Mix 2 examples that I've found on here. As far as the mix, you seem to know exactly what you're doing so keep up the good work!

For future investments I'd look into getting a different interface that has a decent mic preamp in it. Focusrite, Avid, and Presonus are all affordable options that'll give you a solid mic preamp. Waves' plugins have really helped my mixes become more polished once I learned how to properly use them.

Kontra5t

Reaction score
This is a perfect example of working with limited resources while still getting great results. Your tone beats the majority of the AxeFx or EZ Mix 2 examples that I've found on here. As far as the mix, you seem to know exactly what you're doing so keep up the good work!

For future investments I'd look into getting a different interface that has a decent mic preamp in it. Focusrite, Avid, and Presonus are all affordable options that'll give you a solid mic preamp. Waves' plugins have really helped my mixes become more polished once I learned how to properly use them.

Alright, well hell thanks a lot then!
Definitely look into that, that being said is an AxeFx worth an upgrade at this point?

pearl_07

Reaction score
Alright, well hell thanks a lot then!
Definitely look into that, that being said is an AxeFx worth an upgrade at this point?

That's a tough questions to answer. The AxeFx is such a powerful unit that comes with a learning curve which is why a good portion of the demos far from accurately represent it. If you got an AxeFx and learned how to properly dial it in, you'd have a great live and studio tone.

')