Metal fucking music...

• Thread starter Justin7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
I can name at least 30 metal bands that have no breakdowns nor screaming?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

broj15

Reaction score
i went through about a 3 year phase where i hated all things metal. I played bass and guitar for a few local punk bands (at one point in time i was active in 3 bands and played with 2 of them at the same show lol) but then one day i woke up and just kind of decided "i wanna try out playing in a metal band" so i contacted a vocalist with several connections in what was left of the scene (it's completely dried up now) and now here i am recording and writing my own solo metal ep

qazlop

Reaction score
Take a break from metal and try exploring other genres. You'll never know what type of music appeals to you. This happened to me with genres like folk, ambient and even electronic.

So explore :cool:

broj15

Reaction score
Take a break from metal and try exploring other genres. You'll never know what type of music appeals to you. This happened to me with genres like folk, ambient and even electronic.

So explore :cool:
very true. Even though i mainly play metal, there isn't one metal band that even cracks my top 6 (Modest Mouse, Brand New, The Get Up Kids, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, The Smiths/ Morrisey's solo carreer, and Niel Young). I still have periods of time where i'll ditch the metal and listen to some Crystal Castles (if you've never heard of them, check it out), Andrew Jackson Jihad, or some 60's/ 70's/ 80's rock & metal (TONS of Dire Straits, Jefferson Airplane, Old school Judas Priest, and Queensryche)

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the "djent" wave more or less saved me from growing tired of metal! I've had my head op me arse for so long I could only hear shit - nothing new, everything sounded the same - and then all the bands I adored at that time took a turn for the worse! Mnemic, SlipKnot, KoRn, In Flames etc. all put out some of their worst material ever at that time, and I was devastated to say the least...

I guess discovering Misha Mansoor, and then getting into Periphery really got me back into metal. Since then Uneven Structure, Vildhjarta, Volumes, Monuments and a lot of other bands came along, and they have the sound I've been longing for! :)

Still hear some of the old stuff though, but then again, I hear almost everything! ;)

btw, when speaking of metal. Check out 7 Horns 7 Eyes! They are releasing an album by april and so far, judging from 2 releashed tracks, it's shaping up to be a rather epic, unique take on death metal! ^_^

truecultheavymetal.com - exclusive new 7 Horns 7 Eyes track
7 HORNS 7 EYES - Vindicator by basickrecords on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Dayn

Reaction score
Hmm. For the past month or two, I actually haven't been listening to much music at all. I've been watching videos instead, really, or just giving my usual music a listen while driving.

But recently, I've gotten back into my punk, ska and pop rock collections, and revisiting old music I haven't listened to in yonks. Just a phase I'd say, but I'd never dream about changing guitars. I make do with my guitar for anything, whether it's electronica, metal, jazz or polka.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
This happens to us all (and me a lot) from time to time. I like all forms of metal, djent, the cores, thrash...point is if it rocks and the songs are quality (might not be the most tech) its good enough for me....that said:

I tend to extremely bounce genres with a single bound........I might listen to a Cannibal cd........get halfway through it and realize I'm just not in the mood, then I'll throw something else on....Coheed, Blink, or maybe some Streetlight for that ska feel. Keeps everything fresh, and exciting for me at least.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
Nobody can listen to the same kind of music forever. Listening and playing other music makes you a better player. For example, I love metal, but I also need my blues. :)

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Tbh I ain't been in to any new metal for ages, does seem to be the same old sh1t on Scuzz and on the shelves in HMV or whatever.... but then every so often one metal album shines a light my way and I remember why I have fcuking love it so much for so long.... plus as others said can't just be a metal head all your life. Incredible amount of amazing music out there to influence you

What always pleases me when I have a phase of hating metal.... going back to my metal roots digging out some of the cd's I haven't played or heard in years.... perhaps that will give you some inspiration dude

flint757

Reaction score
There are some good bands on the other end of the spectrum. Theres OK Go, Duffy, Andy Mckee, Chili Peppers, Muse, and closer to metal genre Karnivool just to name a few. I listen to these and more along that side of the spectrum, but still love me some Iron Maiden, Mastodon, Sepultura, LOG and many more.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I listen to far less metal as a percentage of what I listen to daily than I used too, but it's because my tastes have broadened and I want to give time to all kinds of music, not just metal.

The way I see it, if you truly love a genre of music and no matter how much your taste can broaden, you wont ever leave that music behind for good, you'll always come back to it and always listen to it sometimes.
I may not wear metal band t shirts anymore really or really associate all that much with general metal culture, but there's ALWAYS going to be a place somewhere in my heart for metal.

You've pretty much just described my case. I grew up listening to metal, and it was the first genre of music I fell in love with. I used to be a straight-up metalhead who wouldn't listen to anything else. I slowly grew out of it though. Nowadays the only band t-shirt I own is a Porcupine Tree shirt that I don't often wear. I've been listening to everything from jazz, to pop, to ska, to Arabic music, to stuff I can't even really categorize.

I find that for all genres there are a few bands and albums that stand out. Those are generally the artists I listen to. I'm not really picky at all when it comes to genres. However, with metal, I have some sort of bias. Perhaps it's because it's very guitar-oriented. I find myself listening to a bigger variety of metal bands than, say, electronica or blues. I also find that, for me, metal is the most fun genre to play on the guitar, along with jazz. In fact, jazz and metal are pretty much the only two genres I play, simply because I find them very fun to jam to.

Don Vito

Reaction score
jarimaenpaa.jpg

This man can teach you more about the art of metal, and the art of telecasters.

')