Metal fucking music...

• Thread starter Justin7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Justin7

Reaction score
I have listened to metal all my life and i have just hit the end of the road with it. I can't explain why, but recording an album for the past week has forced me to spend a lot of time with the overused concept of a breakdown and incomprehensible screams. Sorry to rant. I am probably selling my IbanezS7420 to buy a telecaster or something really soon. I guess this wouldn't really be worth posting unless i ask a question... so.. Has anybody else had this happen to them or was it just a phase?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like a phase. It happens.

Though, as a guy who digs Metal and owns a couple Teles I approve. :lol:

Not sure what music you're referring to though, as a lot of the Metal I listen to has neither breakdowns or screaming. :scratch:

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Are you a deathcore player? I was in the same position as you a few years ago. I still like and play it on occasion but I'll never love it the way I used to ever again.

Just try more intracite forms of metal. Something with more feel and emotion while still being heavy as fuck. Most of these new instrumental "djent" bands are REALLY good at that.

And save up and buy that tele too! Nothing wrong with variety!

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
It happens, that's why I keep a decent mix of fusion shredders, post-rockers and math-rockers within short reach.

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
I've went through all kinds of phases.. even a rap and pop music stage (Gaga, Katy Perry, I know, what the fuck?). After I got back into metal it made me love it that much more. I feel more passionate about it now and feel like I have a better understanding of what I want to do because of these no metal zones I've been in.

It'll pass..

great_kthulu

Reaction score
Though I have never gotten sick of listening to metal since I really got into it, there are times when I start to stagnate creatively and during those times I start to broaden my listening horizons.

EdgeC

Songs in C#
Reaction score
Oh, i thought this was a "tell us what music you get busy to" thread. :lol:

On topic, i'm 29 and the older i get the more heavy, intense, darker I go.

I mean it's only been in the past few years i've been really into black metal and blackend death. And I was a punk fan in highschool.

But who knows? Like what ever does it for you. If it's not metal then it's not metal. Tastes change as we age. I used to hate whisky and only drink scotch now it's firmly the other way around. Go figure.

Off topic again. Trip the Darkness by Lacuna Coil would be a good love making metal song. I mean I don't really like pop-metal but Christina Scabbia singing 'come to me'...... :wub:

flint757

Reaction score
Ya I wouldn't make any firm decisions like selling your guitar over that, save for a tele. In any case it isn't like that guitar can't be used to make other music. Only strats have a really exclusive sound to them (blues, pop, anything with a more open/thinner sound) even then it doesn't matter. I'd keep your gear either way.

Reaction score
I have listened to metal all my life and i have just hit the end of the road with it. I can't explain why, but recording an album for the past week has forced me to spend a lot of time with the overused concept of a breakdown and incomprehensible screams. Sorry to rant. I am probably selling my IbanezS7420 to buy a telecaster or something really soon. I guess this wouldn't really be worth posting unless i ask a question... so.. Has anybody else had this happen to them or was it just a phase?

?

Ninjahat

Reaction score
Well man, no not really. I look at music as relative I guess. I appreciate it when it's well written and enjoyable. I play in a pop/"proggy"(I don't know about calling anything prog really, music is art and art is about proggression, so maybe the term is a tiny bit politically incorrect?) and I can listen to some King Crimson, Behold the Arctopus, Charlie Hunter and Cattle Decapitation. It's all well written (to me, opinions differ) and I have always loved screaming and singing, I can't think of when I ever had a problem with it when I was gettin into metal. Maybe the repetition of playing those songs over and over again is getting to you, or you just don't like your vocalists voice?

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
Then do somethin' without breakdowns and incomprehensible screams? You don't really need those to be metal, but by all means, do whatever you want.

MikeyLHolm

Lightning Mike
Reaction score
Agree with the breakdown+metal combo, that is just wrong.

I've listened metal since i got Maiden's Number of the Beast for 6th birthday back in 88'. Great to teach them beastly habits to six-year-old ain't it..Anyways i still hold those early records close me and never stopped loving them. Appetite for Destruction was one of the early records i got and its still one of the records i listen most every fucking year.

I've never forgotten the genre or even gotten' bored. There is still thousands of records i haven't listened due lack of time , even if i listen 5+ hours music every day. Just so much to hear. So different stuff. Sure sometimes I gotta take months break from some artist if I've burned out on that shit but that's why i got thousands of records as well so there is variety.

During years my taste has stuck with metal but it has also gotten wider. At teens i used to add lots of black metal and other dark stuff to my playlist. Last few years it has been 80's influenced NeoProg a'la Pendragon, ARena, Marillion etc. There is just too many subgenres to get bored.

I guess Accept said it best! Won't ever change for me, it is a way of life. Moshing and playing air-guitar at gigs, playing guitar yourself, listening music its all great. I've never tried to listen some certain shit just to fit in. Thats probably the biggest reason for people to get bored and jump from one genre to another.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I listen to far less metal as a percentage of what I listen to daily than I used too, but it's because my tastes have broadened and I want to give time to all kinds of music, not just metal.

The way I see it, if you truly love a genre of music and no matter how much your taste can broaden, you wont ever leave that music behind for good, you'll always come back to it and always listen to it sometimes.
I may not wear metal band t shirts anymore really or really associate all that much with general metal culture, but there's ALWAYS going to be a place somewhere in my heart for metal.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I went through a 2-3 month stage last year where I barely listened to metal at all. I still wrote it, but I just listened to post-metal (not really metal) and things like Thrice. Now I'm back into really heavy, technical, aggressive metal even though I'm not angry or unhappy with my life in any single aspect!

thedonal

Reaction score
Metal is a small part of my music collection (though the metal bands I like are a big part of my musical education and love). I think that Metal is a very, very intense for of music and therefore it's good to have a break from it with other styles (even Gaga and Perry!!).

For example, I go through big phases of listening to almost nothing but Dream Theater, but get to a point where I have to leave it alone for a while and clear my head.

Give it a break. Come back to it and relish what you love about metal again. It's all good.

')