Metal + jazz amp recommendation?

• Thread starter tpl2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
Have you considered a Laney Ironheart? From the videos I've watched and sound clips I've heard, the metal tones seem excellent. And to your point about needing something for jazz: most reviewers have commented as well that the clean channel is surprisingly great for a metal amp. Seems to be a good bang for the buck, and you can pick them up for a steal used:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Laney/IRONHEART-IRT120H-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-112648007.gc

I believe it also comes in a 60 watt version as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjd3-J_XeoY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyallkRbBEs

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
I love Mesa amps, especially because they're built in my hometown. But the price point has always been high end. And they've gone up about 15-20% since I was drooling on them (figuratively) at my local store in high school.

Mesa has always been king of the heap in most regards, but now it seems there are more reasonably priced options that sound great and/or that can get close to a Mesa sound for a lot less money.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Definitely keep an eye out for a used Mark V locally and on Guitar Center, Reverb, etc. The deals are out there if you're attentive and patient :2c:

Other than the Mark V, there are some other Mesa amps that could likely do the job for you like an F-50, Nomad, or Stiletto. All of these will have different flavors, of course, but should be pretty versatile. A friend of mine has used his F-30 for everything from worship to blueswanking to Breaking Benjamin-esque alternative, FWIW. While any form of Rectifier will certainly cover the metal sounds, I've never been too impressed with their clean channels other than the Roadster/Road King, which is more similar to a Lone Star.

You might also take a look at the Egnater Renegade and Tweaker (40 or 88) heads since they offer good clean platforms and can be pushed into nice metal territory with a boost.

tpl2000

Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.
Reaction score

I looked at them, but I have always had problems listening to their overdrive/distortion channel. Really lacking, for my taste. For a little while I was considering just getting one for their tube power amp, lol.

Musiscience

Reaction score
I would say like everyone in this thread, look at the classifieds for a used mark V. I have the 90 Watts version and it really delivers for Jazz and Metal or anything in between. Never going to part with mine.

If you go that route, I recently discovered how well it pairs with Wharehouse Veteran 30 speakers. Gives a nice V30 vibe but cutting a little bit in the extra mids that the Mark V seems to have.

')