Metal Master + 707

• Thread starter drshock
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drshock

Street-good guy
Reaction score
Does anyone here use a EMG 707 through a Digitech Metal Master? I was just wondering because I may be getting a Hellraiser soon and I wanted to know what it might sound like.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DeL07

SS.org Sushi Whore
Reaction score
You want to add a distortion pedal to a 7 string guitar with active pups.... Right.... :nuts: :scratch:

Ha, I dont think you'll be needing it much...

Black Watch

Contributor
Reaction score
To expand a bit on DeL07...

The 707 will give you a very large signal output. If you set it up with a single 9v battery it will be at least 30% "hotter" than a stock pickup on say, and Ibanez.

In my experience, using a pair of 707s on an RG7, a distortion pedal may not do what you want it to. A solid state distortion pedal works by amplifying and then clipping the signal (with some variations for tone coloration like the Tube Screamers). A DSP distortion digitizes your signal first then applies a model of a "Distorition Transform" to it, then turns it back into analog. In both those methods the 707's large peak to peak signal will at best make little difference in the performance of the pedal, and at works make it tough to dial back the amount of "fuzz" you get from them.

In the case of a tube pedal, such as the Mesa V Twin that I use, the first thing that pickup sees is a set of nice warm tubes. The tubes are all analog systems so the larger input signal causes them to go into soft and hard distortion easier. For me this makes it a lot easier to get a very throaty heavy sound.

Of course your milage will vary, and what sounds good ot my old ears may not be what you are looking for at all. My suggestion is to try it out yourself, but be ready to turn down the input gain on your pedal.

drshock

Street-good guy
Reaction score
Hmmm, thanks for the info, I'll probably buy a Blackjack then and replace the p/u's. One more question: I've played a Hellraiser through a Spider 2 before and thought it sounded alright- so does a s/s distortion pedal do the same thing as a solid state amp head distortion?

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
Ill tell you rigth now, my best friend bought a Hellraiser 7 and he played through my amp all the time which all i used to use was the cd input of my marshall mgdfx100 and ran a metal master. that thing sounded sick as fuck!!! theres a lot of bass to be had in the Hellraiser though, so be sure to dial your bass in accordingly, but you wont be disappointed. He got a really righteous Fear Factory tone out of it.

l_eaf057e606ca6d2e4cc2bfd28b2d71c2.jpg

thats him playin it right there

maglor

Reaction score
I was going to start a new thread about the Metal Master, but then I decided to use the search feature so you all wouldn't yell at me for cluttering up the forums!:cool:

Anyway, I’ve been thinking about getting one of these because I'm trying to find a way to record natural sounding heavy guitar in my apartment and the Metal Master has the second output with cabinet emulation. I plan to plug it directly into my M-Audio external sound card.

Does it sound like I have the right idea?

metalmaster.jpg
Looks nice!

Sonds nice here too:http://www.digitech.com/products/metalmaster.htm

P.S. I am also using active pups. (ESP Viper with EMGs)

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
you absolutely DO have the right idea. I record exclusively with my Metal Master direct line into my pc. heres a link to my myspace solo project, and the track "Click" was made with my setup:

Jackson DKMGT (EMG 81) ---> Morley Bad Horsie 2 ---> Digitech Metal Master ---> ISP Decimator (noise gate) ---> PC Sound Card

heres some more links, the first two are with my RG7321 ran the same way with a DiMarzio Blaze in the bridge

Chimaira - Let Go

Flaw - Recognize

Nothing Sacr3d - Click

Hey I hope these sound samples help you with your decision, and just as a hint to you, this is my eq that i use

mm.jpg

SORRY, I USE OUTPUT 2 (MIXER OUT). MY BAD

')