Metal Musicians gone Post Rock

Moostifur

Reaction score
In the interest of staying short in the title I say "post rock" but really, I don't know what to call the genre, nor do I want to define it.

My buddies and I have played tech death metal for quite a few years now and are finding the genre change to be very liberating. Don't get me wrong, I still love me my shred, blasts, and guttural vox, but it's nice to be freed from the pressure of competing with quantized drums and midi-esque guitars.

These videos are only guitar, but since this is a guitar forum I'm hoping people will appreciate them. Guitars are Carvins: DC727 & 747. Enjoy?

http://youtu.be/kAVtykBo6sY

http://youtu.be/E5_BbnNzBOY

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
My internet was being ridiculous and wouldn't load more than 1 minute of either of them, but it was pretty sweet (not sure if I'd call it post rock, but it's niiiice).

LetsMosey

friendly ginger
Reaction score
In the interest of loving instrumental rock/metal and post-rock/hardcore/ambient stuff (and being bored of traditional radio rock or metal jobs), I would love to offer some free reamps, mixing and mastering for this project of yours. (Just to help break the mundane monotony for me. lol) PM me if you're interested. I intern at a professional commercial recording studio and have access to lots of cool outboard gear and amps and mics, and lots of editing/production/mixing/mastering experience.

These excerpts sound great so far btw

Flemmigan

Snoofin' your gear
Reaction score
Awesome, awesome stuff. The way the guitar parts work together is very cool. I feel that the tech influence comes out in the way one guitar might play a sort of "rhythm" part while still doing some interesting arpeggios or riffs while the more lead sort of part plays over. In particular, how the part around 1:00 of excerpt 2 sort of evolves into a quasi-harmonized chord progression was really cool. Really liked that tapping riff in the first excerpt. Most of all, great job playing everything so clean; no slop at all from what I could hear.
With some drums and bass I bet this would sound even cooler. The general vibe, very nice, very organic. I'd definitely like to hear more!
My one critique (which isn't really a criticism per se) is that I think it could sound even better with a slightly thicker tone on the guitars. I liked how the tone was mostly clean, but for the most part it felt just a little bit thin, if that makes sense.

')