Metal pickup for hss strat

• Thread starter wavez1392
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wavez1392

Reaction score
I don't have the cash for a new 6 string guitar at the moment so I was planning on changing the bridge humbucker. Want the pickup to have a lot of bit and bright tone for riffs because thats pretty much all its going to be used for. I know I sound kinda crazy trying to make a strat a metal guitar, but the thing plays really well since I continual get professional set ups on all my guitars. Any ideas?

BTW they need to be passives!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shogunate

Reaction score
Bite and bright humbuckers for metal leaves a lot of options open. Seymour duncan JB, Dimarzio Evolution, EMG 81, Bare Knuckle Painkiller are all typically described as bright and bitey, but with some differences in character and price.

What amp are you running into, what bands/artists are you shooting for a sound similar to, what's your budget like?

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep that is totally crazy trying to play metal with a Strat........... Good thing nobody told Adrian Smith and Dave Murray that.

What type of metal do you want to play with it?

rockerjeff

Reaction score
Another option for active humbuckers are from Halo. They're currently being used by Arcanium's guitarist on the Bullet for my Valentine tour.

Other popular bridge humbuckers for metal are Seymour Duncan Blackouts, Seymour Duncan Invader, and DiMarzio DP160 Norton.

onefingersweep

Reaction score
What type of metal, if it's oldschool you should go for the Superdistortion! :D

But if it's more modern and if you tune down and stuff I think, Painkiller, Evolution or EMG 81 if you want active is a better choice.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Evolution, Dirty - Finger (hard to control the gain in my opinion still love it), Super Distortion, Evolution 2 would probably be awesome.

Also, I would say a Seymour Duncan SH - 6 pickup. If you were trying to sound like this.

Necky379

Reaction score
invaders are hard to beat in strats imo. ive got one in mine and it's perfect for it. i wouldn't call it bright though, it's very balanced with plenty of power to play anything. on low gain settings you can get a nice crunch tone and it does modern metal with ease with higher gain.

wavez1392

Reaction score
Bite and bright humbuckers for metal leaves a lot of options open. Seymour duncan JB, Dimarzio Evolution, EMG 81, Bare Knuckle Painkiller are all typically described as bright and bitey, but with some differences in character and price.

What amp are you running into, what bands/artists are you shooting for a sound similar to, what's your budget like?

I have a mesa rectoverb, which I use a Keeley compressor and a Ibanez tubescreamer in front of the amp.I play/listen to modern metal like winds of plague, veil of maya,boo, all shall perish and bulb/periphery. Would like my setup to have that kind of modern metal tone with a lot of bite. Now doing some more research it doesn't need to be bright, but it needs to have a super tight sound.

wavez1392

Reaction score
Budget wise i'm not looking to spend bareknuckle prices. Anything less or around 100 for the bridge pickup works for me.

wavez1392

Reaction score
Was looking at the sh-6, but I heard there cleans are pretty muddy. Is this true? Would like to be able to play occasional clean parts in the bridge. Although, i'm willing to sacrifice having crisp cleans for killer djenty toned riffs.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Was looking at the sh-6, but I heard there cleans are pretty muddy. Is this true? Would like to be able to play occasional clean parts in the bridge. Although, i'm willing to sacrifice having crisp cleans for killer djenty toned riffs.
Would say this is muddy? I'm not sure if he used those pickups or not on this album. But he says all his guitars have them and he mainly used his own as far as I know.

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
I actually just did this to my American Standard HSS. I put a DiMarzio D-Activator X in the bridge, and two Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the middle and neck pickup positions.

It rocks. I mean, it sounds really, really good.

If you decide to go that route and you need any help wiring it, then please let me know. I also have a thread on here about it, with some great contributions and help from Dirtdog and GuitarWiz2K.

')