Metal players who dont use a noise gate?

• Thread starter Georgeclooney5150
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gnoll

Reaction score
I don't like them or really see the point. Why would I need less amp noise when I'm NOT playing? I could just put the amp on standby, or turn it off. And if I am playing, noise is rocknroll and part of the instrument/music. I'm not someone who wants my guitar to sound like a synth played by midi, I want it to sound like a guitar.

But I also don't use tones drenched in gain. The less gain the heavier tones. I sometimes see people dime the gain on 5150s and stuff and it's like yeah that might get noisy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Are ANY of you playing at stage volume? A noisegate is sooooo necessary at stage volume with high Gain, even with humbuckers, dialled back gain, and good power conditioning, we still squeal at high volumes if you get at the right angle standing next to something on stage. Sure, a noisegate kills like a teensy bit of sustain and high end, but the trade off in ease of use and just sounding cleaner is so much more worth it to me.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Are ANY of you playing at stage volume? A noisegate is sooooo necessary at stage volume with high Gain, even with humbuckers, dialled back gain, and good power conditioning, we still squeal at high volumes if you get at the right angle standing next to something on stage. Sure, a noisegate kills like a teensy bit of sustain and high end, but the trade off in ease of use and just sounding cleaner is so much more worth it to me.
Tuner as mute and volume knobs still work at stage volume depending on how quiet you want your dead stops. I put a vol block at end of my fx8 chain because it killed any tails too. Our dead stops were “hear keys jingle” quiet, it was fun. I also wasnt running as much gain as most here, but at 126dB i was probably louder ;)

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score

Yes.

If your guitar squeals when you get at the right angle standing next to something on stage, that's an indication that you shouldn't stand there. It's part of learning how to control a guitar a high volumes.

FWIW - I have nothing against gates. Particularly if someone's goal is a gated rhythm as an effect, as that's a stylistic decision. I don't even care if it's completely unnecessary and the only reason they're use one because they like it, that's their call and who am I to question it? I just don't find them necessary for me, and I'm giving my reasons for not using one.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Yes.

If your guitar squeals when you get at the right angle standing next to something on stage, that's an indication that you shouldn't stand there. It's part of learning how to control a guitar a high volumes.

FWIW - I have nothing against gates. Particularly if someone's goal is a gated rhythm as an effect, as that's a stylistic decision. I don't even care if it's completely unnecessary and the only reason they're use one because they like it, that's their call and who am I to question it? I just don't find them necessary for me, and I'm giving my reasons for not using one.
That reminds me heavily of the iPhone 5 fiasco where they told users to "not hold their phone that way" when making calls because their hands were blocking signal. I've been playing in loud bands for 15 years, I know how to control my guitar :lol: it's just incredibly annoying to deal with and there is an extremely easy and cost effective way to deal with it; a noise gate. I turn it off during solos when one would want the sustain and top end, but it goes back on for 99% of everything else.

gnoll

Reaction score
I think at the end of the day, everybody is different. Different use case scenarios, different music, different rooms, different amps, different settings, different tastes.

It's a tool and everybody can decide for themselves if it's useful or not.

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A tuner, the rest of the effects are details.
If the guitar tech wants a delay, let him post treat.

Guitar => tuner => amp !

Marketing and consumerism are bullshit

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
That reminds me heavily of the iPhone 5 fiasco where they told users to "not hold their phone that way" when making calls because their hands were blocking signal. I've been playing in loud bands for 15 years, I know how to control my guitar :lol: it's just incredibly annoying to deal with and there is an extremely easy and cost effective way to deal with it; a noise gate. I turn it off during solos when one would want the sustain and top end, but it goes back on for 99% of everything else.

Which, IMO, is a perfect valid reason to use one.

I don't as I don't need one. The thread is metal players who don't use a gate, and some people have questioned how players play without one, which is why I'm responding.

I think this is one of those subjects that can turn into a dick measuring contest. The whole "gates are a band-aid and good players don't need to use them" shit that I'd see when I was younger. I don't subscribe to that line of thought. A gate is a solution... and there are plenty of other solutions that don't require a gate.

I'm also conscious of the fact I'm on SSO, and if I remember correctly someone on here with a double gated tubescreamer started a whole genre (that people insist isn't a genre).

7stringDemon

Reaction score
You should check out Powerviolence. Like Weekend Nachos.

*feedback*

“This song is called urghugughalex…”

*feedback*

1. 2. 3. 4.

*30 seconds of blast beats and gurgling riffs*

*feedback*

“Thank you”

gabito

Advanced power chords user
Reaction score
I don't, because I don't feel like I need one. I don't have problems with unwanted feedback, and just turn the volume down between songs.

I would use one if for some reason it turned out I needed one, but I'm fine so far. Maybe I could use one to kill amp hiss, but that's not really a problem when we're playing. Maybe when recording, or if you're playing alone at home.

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
When I'm playing at home or tracking, I dial the gain so that I can use only a very minimal gate - nothing annoys me more than a noise gate forcing hard decay on my notes or biting into the gain. When I play live, I zero it and turn it up until the line noise isn't audible and run with that to taste.

In general, as long as you don't go overboard with the gain, you can get away with a minimal gate provided your muting is really on point. As a rule of thumb, though, as long as it doesn't force my signal to decay prematurely, the gate is fine. But if you go high-gain, I wouldn't gig without one. Once you crank an amp, all kinds of things can cause ignorant levels of noise that don't even involve what you can control.

Christopher Har V

Reaction score
I'll just jump in and state the obvious here, that we should all have some sort of Gruv wrap around the strings past the nut. So when your fret hand mutes the strings, they actually are muted and there isn't that ugly headstock resonance.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I'll just jump in and state the obvious here, that we should all have some sort of Gruv wrap around the strings past the nut. So when your fret hand mutes the strings, they actually are muted and there isn't that ugly headstock resonance.
Hard no on that, sir. How am I supposed to start Running With The Devil if I can't strum behind my nut?!

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
I have some sort of dampener behind the nut of nearly every guitar I own. I hate that noise. A lot.

Although you don't have to spend all that dosh on a Gruv Gear when you can use a hair tie, or I usually just stuff some of the foam that pickups get packed in there.

But yeah. Something needs to dampen that. I hate that sympathetic noise.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I just put a thin strip of foam behind the nut/under the stings to mute that shit, I’m not putting a fucking scrunchy on my guitar.

If you run your guitar’s volume knob all the way up through an entire live set or that’s your general thing, I can certainly see why people would say “It doesn’t affect your tone”, but even if you’re using it just to kill hiss, when you start rolling that knob down things change a bit.
A full on, chugga chugga set, chances are there’s not a lot of volume knob action going on.

I current have a gate in the chain of my live rig but it’s not active, I just keep it there in case I set up somewhere where I can’t put the cab far enough away, I can just activate the gate block and move on, but outside of cab proximity/feedback, while I don’t care how other players do this, I want my hands muting everything.

#nogate

Latest posts

')