Metal players who dont use a noise gate?

• Thread starter Georgeclooney5150
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
What is gated rhythm?
Set the gate so it closes aggressively and you get silent full stops. Gives a more staccato rhythm sound.

I'm not really an expert on it since it wasn't really my thing, and this was 20+ years ago. I remember them arguing over the Guitar Silencer vs Hush and which one closed faster.

I think that was the basis for what became djent? If I remember correctly djent was using a gated tubescreamer to push on a gate for more abruptness? I think that's how I ended up on SSO in the first place... I wanted to experiment with the idea and someone pointed me over here because someone was already doing it, and Periphery was just starting out or something.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Playing bass? I get that I'm not the most brutal dweeb out there, but if you need to noise gate a bass, you might be doing something wrong. Or very right. Kinda depends.
Mostly I was poking fun of string dampeners by posting a picture of a girl (Paz Lenchantin) with a flower dampening in her strings.

She played for A Perfect Circle, Zwan and Pixies.

CrystalSky

Reaction score
Set the gate so it closes aggressively and you get silent full stops. Gives a more staccato rhythm sound.

I'm not really an expert on it since it wasn't really my thing, and this was 20+ years ago. I remember them arguing over the Guitar Silencer vs Hush and which one closed faster.

I think that was the basis for what became djent? If I remember correctly djent was using a gated tubescreamer to push on a gate for more abruptness? I think that's how I ended up on SSO in the first place... I wanted to experiment with the idea and someone pointed me over here because someone was already doing it, and Periphery was just starting out or something.
Thanks for educating me 🤝🏻

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Yes.

If your guitar squeals when you get at the right angle standing next to something on stage, that's an indication that you shouldn't stand there. It's part of learning how to control a guitar a high volumes.

FWIW - I have nothing against gates. Particularly if someone's goal is a gated rhythm as an effect, as that's a stylistic decision. I don't even care if it's completely unnecessary and the only reason they're use one because they like it, that's their call and who am I to question it? I just don't find them necessary for me, and I'm giving my reasons for not using one.

I'm probably an outlier in this thread, I'm a metal player but all of my live playing has been between country and hard rock, and a cranked old school Peavey with a Boss OD-1, it's close enough to sounding like a Marshall for a like $3-400 rig.

I tried a gate, and it didn't work with my set up. We didn't have enough mics for everyone, so I was running a cranked Peavey from the 70s. I just taped the spots I could stand and not get feedback.

Latest posts

')