Metal players who dont use a noise gate?

• Thread starter Georgeclooney5150
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No foam, no wrapping things around the strings past the nut, no gate.

BRING THE HISS, BRING THE FEEDBACK, BRING THE NOISE.

I liked your post, not because of the comment (mute the hiss) but because of the Public Enemy: love that song.

NexusMT

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To be fair, Dime had a human noise gate in the form of a guitar tech backstage who would literally cut his signal by hand on rests, and I'm pretty sure Wylde currently employs the same guy, lol.
With Pantera yes, but with Ozzy and BLS he plays without NG.

TBF... JCM 800 aren't very noisy.

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
Not gonna hear any arguments from me about pedals. I think in my heyday, I had a maximum of an OD/Gate in front, and a reverb and delay in the loop, and that was it. At one point I think I had a weird Ibanez Chorus/Flanger combo for weird noises, but that was the absolute max.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
A noise gate is against my religion. Feedback GOOD.

On the other hand I also have high-end ABY and stereo line isolator boxes that cost me more than a lot of my pedals, because ground hum BAD.

I also don't play metal. That shit's for dweebs.

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
A noise gate is against my religion. Feedback GOOD.

On the other hand I also have high-end ABY and stereo line isolator boxes that cost me more than a lot of my pedals, because ground hum BAD.

I also don't play metal. That shit's for dweebs.
Hey now. We are not just dweebs.

We're brvtal too.

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
Who owns the brand? :lol: I know basically zero about pedal shit...

Not a bad name at all, though.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
my bad dude I wasn't trying to offend any brvtal dweebs

also I will say the owner is a clown but Endless Blockade is an incredibly cool name for a noise gate
I'm gonna' get in trouble for the no "P" in "P&CE" rule, but a dope ass mutherfuken name for a noise gate is... The Filibuster.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I have some sort of dampener behind the nut of nearly every guitar I own. I hate that noise. A lot.

Although you don't have to spend all that dosh on a Gruv Gear when you can use a hair tie, or I usually just stuff some of the foam that pickups get packed in there.

But yeah. Something needs to dampen that. I hate that sympathetic noise.

My string dampening method of choice is a set of rubber grommets like these:

20240614-142331.jpg

I've tried different types of tapes, foams, and scrunchies, but these seem to work the best and don't wear out or leave a residue. You can get a big box of assorted sizes from Harbor Freight for a few bucks, which is nice if you want to outfit a bunch of guitars with different headstocks and string spacings or behind the bridge if you have a Tune-o-Matic setup.

A few friends of mine have the Fret Wraps and they're handy for muting the strings on the fretboard while recording, but I've never felt inclined to drop the cash for one of my own since I can get the same performance with a microfiber cloth or a block of foam held on by a rubber band :shrug:

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
My string dampening method of choice is a set of rubber grommets like these:

20240614-142331.jpg

I've tried different types of tapes, foams, and scrunchies, but these seem to work the best and don't wear out or leave a residue. You can get a big box of assorted sizes from Harbor Freight for a few bucks, which is nice if you want to outfit a bunch of guitars with different headstocks and string spacings or behind the bridge if you have a Tune-o-Matic setup.

A few friends of mine have the Fret Wraps and they're handy for muting the strings on the fretboard while recording, but I've never felt inclined to drop the cash for one of my own since I can get the same performance with a microfiber cloth or a block of foam held on by a rubber band :shrug:
Those actually look pretty dope. Might have to try it out. Smart idea.

CrystalSky

Reaction score
Yes.

If your guitar squeals when you get at the right angle standing next to something on stage, that's an indication that you shouldn't stand there. It's part of learning how to control a guitar a high volumes.

FWIW - I have nothing against gates. Particularly if someone's goal is a gated rhythm as an effect, as that's a stylistic decision. I don't even care if it's completely unnecessary and the only reason they're use one because they like it, that's their call and who am I to question it? I just don't find them necessary for me, and I'm giving my reasons for not using one.
What is gated rhythm?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Mother Nature's string dampener
Playing bass? I get that I'm not the most brutal dweeb out there, but if you need to noise gate a bass, you might be doing something wrong. Or very right. Kinda depends.

I'm on team no gate, no wrap, no boost. Just guitar+amp and go. Basically just always have the pinky at the ready to quickly turn the volume down when I want silence. And yes, I do this live, at volume, on loud stages with cabs. Only thing I'll conceded to is the foam behind the nut while recording so you don't get that ugly ringing noise on mutes. I think the Fractal I've been using gives you a really mild gate by default, but it starts at a "if you so much as look at it funny the gate will open" setting, so that barely counts.

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
I don't use a noise gate and I play super loud with single coils and a usually lot of fuzz. I just use my tuner to mute between songs or whatever and I turn off the fuzz so the hiss isn't as loud. It's not really a big deal at all if you know your setup and how to play the amp properly and control it regardless of volume so it doesn't do random feedback. If absolutely can't play without a noise gate I think you need to reevalute your life and work on your muting techninque tho lol

Latest posts

')