Metal Vocals Critique

• Thread starter GinoBambino54
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GinoBambino54

Reaction score
So im going to be doing metal vocals for my band Novallo,
here is a sample of me doing some for my other guitarists side project "geostigma"

Since i just learned how to do these vocals i was wondering if you guys think there good or not, or what i could improve on

thanks

<div style="width:473px; border:solid #999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG.png')">
<a href='http://www.soundclick.com/novallo'>
<div style="background-color:width:460px; height:45px; cursor:pointer; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_460.png');"></div></a>
<div id="lower"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" height="60" width="473" data="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
<param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
<param name="movie" value="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf" />
<param name="loop" value="false" />
<param name="menu" value="false" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
<param name="flashvars" value="playType=single&songid=9404008&scid=9404008&q=hi&ext=1" />
<param name="scale" value="noscale" />
<param name="salign" value="b" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
</object></div></div>

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

controversyking

ss.org regular
Reaction score
Was your voice effected in anyway for this track?

Honestly I'm not a fan of the "group vocals/chorus-y thing going on around 1 min.

The big scream at 1 min 6 seconds is pretty brutal :metal:

Everything sounds incredibly professionally done and the track is awesome. You seem like a pretty talented vocalist and I give you props.

My only thing is the vox seem kinda "phlegm-y or warbley" which isn't my cup of tea, but if that's what you were going for then spot on. (I like more of a straight roar, clearer tone which i think you hit well at 35 seconds)

Well done though

Vangoatguitar

Rational Gayz
Reaction score
I can't understand you. Idk if you were going for that though, my personal preference is to be able to understand what the singer is saying when screaming or growling. Articulation is a beautiful thing!

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
You're a powerful vocalist, but its painfully obvious you're compensating something with layers. Or maybe your voice just sounds like its layered.

I'm not talking about the OBVIOUS layers, where its two different voices on purpose. I'm talking about the "single" voice areas.

EDIT:

Forgot to add, the track is killer and your voice fits very well, besides the layering thing.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
I dig your vocals a lot, the only thing I would work on is your articulation so that we know what your screaming about!

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
This is a pretty intense mix, it's done well, the seems a tad bass heavy, and the kick is pretty in your face. Kind of masks the guitars, really hard to hear.

But, the vox are great, the panning gets kind of crazy, unique, but dunno how well it works. Maybe pan them a little less hard at times, so there is still a more focused center for the vocals, giving a bit more room for the guitars.

Also, I plus the articulation part, the vox have great thickness, but with a bit more bite from the articulation, that would send them to a high level of awesome.

Joelan

Ukulele Shredder
Reaction score
I'm not usually a fan of growls or screams but I quite like your vocals. They have a similar kind of sound to Akerfeldts growls. If you could make them slightly punchier/articulated they would sound top notch to my ears :)

The mix on the whole sounds pretty fucking awesome too by the way.

GinoBambino54

Reaction score
I double tracked vocals for everything and all i did was compress them, no eq no verb, nothing. just purely dry

i will post some new shit here soon with vocals:hbang:

thanks for the feedback

-Gino-

Nostrildamus

Reaction score
Really dig the vox actually. It was pretty obvious to me that they were simply double tracked. I was surprised there was no verb or anything on them. As far as articulation, sure it would improve the listening experience but if you've ever listened to really deep death metal vox you know it's not absolutely necessary for a fan base.

Well done.

manana

Reaction score
I like the vocals. How did you just learn how to do them? Want to explain haha because im also trying to learn but i dont have any money for lesson. Really like the mix too.

Might-is-Right

As a Lion...
Reaction score
Great track. I think the vocals are very well done. Fits solidly with the song. I'd like the guitar to come thru a bit more in the mix buts thats not the critique your looking for. Well done!

Latest posts

')