Metalcore/Deathcore Amp Head

• Thread starter Taylo234
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
Speakers do have a big part in your overall sound.
Try playing through a 4x12 and then play through some pc speakers and you will understand that it is t just the amp head.but for anything core I suggest anything peavey with a TS-9

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mop

Reaction score
I don't suggest plugging your tube head into pc speakers, not unless you want to let the smoke out.
I also wouldn't buy a peavey valveking or classic 30 and expect good metalcore tone :lol: ymmv

LacesOutTyler

Reaction score
If you're really from Orange county, here's what ya do. I'm sure there are tons of used amps on Craigslist, go locally and test some amps. I just bought a Mesa Dual rec not too long ago and I'm running it through a POS Randall cab. It sounded pretty disappointing through that cab vs. the mesa recto in the shop, BUT I also just bought a boost that brought the sound up a whole lot. I'm also imminently buying a new cab with V30s.

But there are two things about going and playing the amp youre about to buy: you will see the condition of the amp in person, so it should relieve some of your skepticism about buying it used, AND you will know whether or not you like that specific amp. While I find 6505's to be very consistent, Rectifiers can sound really good or really bad.

Good luck finding what's "you"!

Reaction score
Yeah I know Craigslist is a life savor, after all, thats where I got my first seven string a few days ago! I just can't find a place around here to sit down and play the 6505+ The closest one to me is the combo amp, but i hear the head sounds different.

LacesOutTyler

Reaction score
To me the head doesnt sound different, beyond the difference in speakers in the combo vs the speakers in "x" cab. There might be some difference in the circuitry that may technically affect the sound, however, I think the sound is similar. I mean, it may be that you don't like the 6505 as a whole... I feel like any tweaking of the 6505 yields a similar "sound" in the sense that it sounds literally the same with the parameters of bass/mid/treble adjusted. Thats why I didnt buy a 6505. I feel like it is a limited sound... Although I like the sound, I feared that I would end up buying another piece of equipment to compensate for the shortcomings of the 6505. Thats why I went Mesa, because with a boost, it gets that saturated, "ompy", thick tone. You honestly can't go wrong with a 6505 for the sound you're going for... It just takes some v30s and a few hours of tweaking :)

But as a Dual Rec owner, I'm telling you, you can get the same sound with a boost, a few more hours of tweaking, and then some :lol:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I know Craigslist is a life savor, after all, thats where I got my first seven string a few days ago! I just can't find a place around here to sit down and play the 6505+ The closest one to me is the combo amp, but i hear the head sounds different.

212 is the + head stacked on to a 212 cab, literally - but the amp is biased a bit better, and thus to most sounds better then your usual 5150 head. 112, can't comment.

I'm still sticking with my Avenger suggestion: 5150's sound awesome, but there's so many bands using them it's getting even harder to make them sound unique.

groph

Reaction score
This is where I get confused. EVERYONE recommends 6505/5150. I haven't tried a 5150 but I played the 6505 and had the guy at guitar center (who uses one) EQ it for me, and it just sounded horrid. I tried another one and still no dice. I just don't see what I did wrong if that many people suggest it.

Well 5150's are pretty much "the sound", but what you're hearing is someone else playing. If you can't get down with a 5150 then there's no point in getting one. Still, bear in mind that at low volumes a 5150 will sound like sandpaper, and it's easy to go overboard with the EQ settings/gain. You only really need the gain at noon or even a bit under and leaving the rest of the knobs at 6 works pretty well, maybe set the treble a bit lower and keep the presence down or else it will fizz like crazy and not provide the chunk you need. But it appears you've exhausted the EQ possibilities and just don't like the 5150, which is fair enough.

Maybe look around for a Triple XXX or a 3120, or an Ultra. The general "Peavey" tone fits deathcore well; their amps seem to have a certain roughness that lends itself well.

The Randall V2 is another high gain head I'll recommend to anybody, regardless of whether or not they even play guitar. Any metal tone you want is lurking in there, including old school 80's tones right up to goregrind.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
212 is the + head stacked on to a 212 cab, literally - but the amp is biased a bit better, and thus to most sounds better then your usual 5150 head. 112, can't comment.

I'm still sticking with my Avenger suggestion: 5150's sound awesome, but there's so many bands using them it's getting even harder to make them sound unique.

It was my understanding that the transformer was different as well, though I might be thinking of the 112.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
It was my understanding that the transformer was different as well, though I might be thinking of the 112.

It's quite possible, I just remember the bias thing.

GibsonVGuy

Reaction score
Old topic is old but there is some good info here. The Peavey 5150/6505 cabinet really sucks..

I didn't like my old 5150 at all until I paired it with a Marshall 1960A. Then it came to life!! It had V30's and Greenbacks in an "X" pattern and sounded HUGE. There are better cabs than the 1960A for the money but it's what I had at the time. Check out Splawn or WhiteBox for awesome cabs for a great price!!

Reaction score
for $1100 you get a dual rec and cab around here....

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Whoa! I didn't know Whitechapel used 6505/5150. That gives me hope. I just wish I knew someone who had one where I could test it on a better cab. Each one I've played was on the 6505 matching cab, I take it that one is bad?
Matching cab is horrendous. Play it through an orange ppc412 or mesa cab. It loves v30's. The only good matching 5150 cab is the original 5150 cab that was sold with the first runs of heads, they sound devastating as well, after that they've just not used good speakers or cab construction and it just doesn't match very well

Also, put a tubescreamer in front, distortion on 0, level on full, tone midway and run the gain at about 2-4 on the lead chanel (not too high, you want it tight, and the pedal boost boosts the gain but tightens it up).

Dial the amp in at 6-6-6, set presence and resonance to taste treble on 5150/6505 becomes useless after the 4-6 range, so use presence to get more top end instead, leave the trele down, smooths it)

Then, it needs to have the post gain at 3-5 for it to open up, and voila, total complete destruction on a major scale. Trust me.

BrianUV777BK

Riffmiester General
Reaction score
This is where I get confused. EVERYONE recommends 6505/5150. I haven't tried a 5150 but I played the 6505 and had the guy at guitar center (who uses one) EQ it for me, and it just sounded horrid. I tried another one and still no dice. I just don't see what I did wrong if that many people suggest it.

Why didn't you just EQ it to your taste?

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
how about a randall t2 or v2 a few guys on here prefer those to 6505/5150

Dvaienat

Reaction score
For $1100 you could have a used 2 Channel Dual or Triple Rectifier. I've seen 3 channels go for $900. Add a Tubescreamer style pedal and you've got a perfect tone for metalcore and deathcore.

Nesty

Reaction score
You're ruling out the 6505/5150 even though nearly EVERY metalcore/deathcore band use them, hmm....

Latest posts

')