Metallica - finished recording new album...

• Thread starter Sebastian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Sweet! I liked the teaser clips they posted.
I hope it's filled with some catchy metal/rock goodness, like Load.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
I liked this comment

Anyone who think Load and Re-load are good albums are new school know nothings that don't know shit about metal or Metallica. Buy the first four albums and educate yourself.

Can't people just listen to music instead of judging what 'metal' is supposed to be?
I love Load and Re-Load.

I also love Metallicas first 4 albums. :shrug: Don't see the big deal.

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know. It's really hard for me to feel too excited about this. I would love to be pleasantly surprised when it comes out but I'm having a hard time believing that will happen.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know. It's really hard for me to feel too excited about this. I would love to be pleasantly surprised when it comes out but I'm having a hard time believing that will happen.

I'm being pretty reserved about it, especially since it's Metallica.

I was stoked about St. Anger, then when I heard the song on the radio, I wanted to throw up, as that would have been more pleasent. It's a shame, there were a few really cool riffs on St. Anger, but it was drowned by the shameful mix, and the even more shameful song writing. (The 'live' version of Some Kind of Monster, on the single, is actually damn good, i'd say it's more of a remix really)

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I liked this comment

Can't people just listen to music instead of judging what 'metal' is supposed to be?
I love Load and Re-Load.

Most people that shit like that felt like they were stabbed in the back by their favorite band. It happened to me about a month ago when i heard the cryptopsy disc. If they had broken up and changed their name to release those songs, they'd have never gotten the animosity that they did for it. Load & ReLoad On their own, i think there's some cool riffs here and there, but for the most part its just bland rock music.

Sebastian

Reaction score
I liked this comment

I love Load and Re-Load.

Same here...
I love the early and the new Metallica albums
and I like St.Anger ( yes its not a joke) I like the tone it has etc.

I just find a lot of bad ass songs in every album

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Most people that shit like that felt like they were stabbed in the back by their favorite band. It happened to me about a month ago when i heard the cryptopsy disc. If they had broken up and changed their name to release those songs, they'd have never gotten the animosity that they did for it. Load & ReLoad On their own, i think there's some cool riffs here and there, but for the most part its just bland rock music.

Now that I can understand.

I guess the thing with me is that I didn't get into Metallica until about 10-12 years ago (As I wasn't into metal at all when I was younger). And I didn't discover Master of Puppets until 2001, at which point I bought the other 3 (I don't care for the black album that much).

Seeing as I grew up in the 90's more than the 80's (I was born in 84), I was never exposed to it.

I like your line about feeling 'betrayed' by their change

You're the first one to explain WHY people don't like Load and Re-load in a way that wasn't just "OMG TEHY ARE TEH SUX!" :yesway: It actually makes sense now :lol:

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score
Besides the awful production and song writing on St. Anger, the thing that is most disturbing for me is the vocals. Not that I consider James a great technical singer but for some reason it just seems he's forgot how to sing in general.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Now that I can understand.

I guess the thing with me is that I didn't get into Metallica until about 10-12 years ago (As I wasn't into metal at all when I was younger). And I didn't discover Master of Puppets until 2001, at which point I bought the other 3 (I don't care for the black album that much).

Seeing as I grew up in the 90's more than the 80's (I was born in 84), I was never exposed to it.

I like your line about feeling 'betrayed' by their change

You're the first one to explain WHY people don't like Load and Re-load in a way that wasn't just "OMG TEHY ARE TEH SUX!" :yesway: It actually makes sense now :lol:

It wouldn't have been even as bad if metallica didnt spend the first half of their career saying shit like they wouldn't do anything commercial, would never make a music video and never be on MTv. Then they went on to do all that. People were calling them out in 1988 cause they made a video for one, and that was 'selling out'. One of my friend's bands did the sell out thing 'right.' They used to play thrash metal, etc. really fast, heavy. Then they decided since they were getting nowhere they wanted to play radio rock. They just changed their band name and everything. And i'm glad they did, cause i never liked their new songs they're working on :lol:

I'm the same age as you, except i heard the old metallica first, and as a result, could never get into the new metallica.

DevourTheDamned

Fossicker
Reaction score
of course the earlier ones are the best, but arent all bands earliest efforts the best?
theyre raw and un-fucked-with now its going to be so processed it might suck :/
ill still stand strong beside that band, but they seriously need to step it up, even if its just in order to live up to THEMSELVES.

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score
Well I'm old (36) and I heard Ride The Lightning when it first came out and it really changed how I felt about music. It opened up the doors for so many of the other great thrash bands from that era and to see what this band has turned into is just sad for me. Looking back I would have been happier if they called it quits after Burton was killed and ended with MOP, their best album IMO.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Honestly, my first real Metallica experience was actually the S&M album, which I consider to be a truly stunning piece of work. It actually spoiled me so I had a hard time listening to them for a while as without the orchestra it just felt 'empty.'

However, I generally like most of Metallica's albums, with St. Suck being the only one I couldn't stand. RtL, MoP, AJFA, and the Black album were great thrash records, and the Black album had some great melodies to go with them.

Load and Re-Load were more classic rock-ish, which is perfectly fine by me because I love classic rock... and Hetfield wears his Skynyrd influence like an old shirt. Even "Mama Said," a country song by any other band, was pretty damn listenable to me.

I guess it's cause I came in late to the Metallica thing and listen to other music than 'just' metal, but I honestly like every album they've put out except for St.Anger.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
It wouldn't have been even as bad if metallica didnt spend the first half of their career saying shit like they wouldn't do anything commercial, would never make a music video and never be on MTv. Then they went on to do all that.

Rampant theory time.

This is just my opinion, but I think that's why they made St. Anger. After hearing about how they're over produced and such, I think they decided to give a big 'fuck you' to the fans:)noway:). That's how I see it. And that's why I don't see them ever making an album like that ever again. They just tried a million different things and fucked around and made a shit-tastic album... Another theory of mine is they could have made it just to prove that they can write anything and it'll sell anyway, even if it's terrible, in a vein attempt to say they aren't sellouts.

:shrug: I think too much.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
It's probably difficult to understand the impact Metallica had in the mid '80s if you weren't around then. I think that's where a lot of the resentment comes from about their post-AJFA albums. They were sort of the Led Zeppelin of the 1980s--they really changed everything.

')