Metallica - finished recording new album...

• Thread starter Sebastian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I liked this comment

Can't people just listen to music instead of judging what 'metal' is supposed to be?
I love Load and Re-Load.

I also love Metallicas first 4 albums. :shrug: Don't see the big deal.

Hey, I kind of dig Load and Re-Load, too. They're great hard rock albums. However, they're absolutely shitty thrash albums, and Metallica was one of the greatest thrash bands until they hooked up with Bob Rock.

Funny thing is, I don't even like early Metallica THAT much - I think it's the drumming - but I at least respect them for MoP and RtL.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
It's probably difficult to understand the impact Metallica had in the mid '80s if you weren't around then. I think that's where a lot of the resentment comes from about their post-AJFA albums. They were sort of the Led Zeppelin of the 1980s--they really changed everything.

+1

I remember how freaking awesome they were in the 80s - The and Justice For all show is one of my all time favorite concerts (Ryche Mindcrime opening didnt hurt that show either)

Everything from the black album onwards just didnt have that spark of anger that the first 4 albums had. (at least not to me)

Reaction score
w/e i never really cared for metallica, i find the rythems super boring and nothing special because everybody else has already blatantly ripped off of them.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey, I kind of dig Load and Re-Load, too. They're great hard rock albums. However, they're absolutely shitty thrash albums, and Metallica was one of the greatest thrash bands until they hooked up with Bob Rock.

Funny thing is, I don't even like early Metallica THAT much - I think it's the drumming - but I at least respect them for MoP and RtL.

You like the Rolling Stones, your opinion on matters of thrash is null and void, sir. :vince:

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
I have to agree with TemjinStrife.

I was in high school when Ride the Lightning came out, and yes, it changed everything for me, and for everyone. It, MoP and AJFA are incredible albums, absolutely.

And so was the black album. Different, but excellent. Hell, at least it had audible bass! :D

Load was, again, different. I loved it. ReLoad was... well, honestly, it sounded to me like the stuff that didn't make the cut for Load. Good, but not up to par.

After AJFA, they took risks; they tried different things. They decided to not be one-trick ponies and explore different music they liked. Some of it wasn't metal... so what?

I think St. Anger was indeed a big "fuck you"... who it was aimed at I'm not sure, but I think they unconsciously ended up pointing at themselves. Not because it sounded awful (it does) but because they had no filters, no editor, no one telling them "guys, I'm sorry, this sucks, I know you want to try something different, but this particular thing isn't working."

(Like please God, don't ever let Lars turn off his snares again! :eek:)

I'm not sure why, though, people hate when bands change. In the recent discussion of Madonna, she was blasted for never putting the same kind of album out twice. On the other hand, bands that are consistent, like say, Sevendust, are blasted for putting out the same album over and over again.

Maybe it's not the same people... maybe there's a vocal contingent that hates change, and another that hates consistency. I say, if an artist honestly does their best, and the result is good, let it be good. If they don't do their best, or if the result sucks, let it suck - but because it's not quality, not because it's "different".

The black album and Load were different, but well-done. St. Anger was different, but poorly done. The new album... well, time will tell! :shrug:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Maybe it's not the same people... maybe there's a vocal contingent that hates change, and another that hates consistency.

The point you're not seeing is that people didn't like Load and Reload. I think both of those albums are horrible. I think St. Anger is even worse. It has nothing do with Metallica changing, and everything to do with me thinking that those are all horrible albums. You like it, right on. Other people don't like it. You're wrong if you think that everyone that says St. Anger sucks is "just hating change". They say that it sucks because they think it sucks.

"SOoooMmme KiiNND-aaA MoooOOon-StUUUURR-AAAH!"

Give me a break. That's shit regardless of the name of the band playing it. James Hetfield has put out 3 albums with him singing like some kind of washed up country crooner, and it's disgraceful. This is the guy that sang Ride The Fucking Lightning. :noplease:

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
Ill be checking it out. They just played here friday, first night of the current tour, and it was fucking EPIC. Heres to hoping they put out some thrash, like they did at the show :drew:

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
jacksonplayer said:
It's probably difficult to understand the impact Metallica had in the mid '80s if you weren't around then. I think that's where a lot of the resentment comes from about their post-AJFA albums. They were sort of the Led Zeppelin of the 1980s--they really changed everything.

I remember when Puppets came out. It was like a fist to the jaw. They did reinvent metal. That's why it sucks to see the trying to remake themselves all the time into some overly derirative band. I remember a writer in the Toledo Blade comparing Metallica to jazz fusion in terms of their musical complexity. That's all gone now.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
You're wrong if you think that everyone that says St. Anger sucks is "just hating change". They say that it sucks because they think it sucks.

If you'll notice, I agree with you. :)

I don't mean that everyone should like Load, or Reload, or anything, for that matter. Taste is taste, it is what it is. Millions of people loved Garth Brooks, I hated his music, c'est la vie. I enjoyed Korn's last album, a lot of people didn't. A lot of folks around here love Necrophagist, I just don't. I don't think it sucks, I think it's really well done... it's just not my thing.

Bob Dylan was vilified when he went electric. Some people even now refuse to listen to anything but his folk acoustic music. Now, Hetfield is no Dylan ;) and St. Anger should be an embarrassment to any artist. It could have been monstrous, but it definitely wasn't. Well, monstrous like a deformed fetus, perhaps.

Anyway, my point wasn't to denigrate anyone's opinions, or even assume I know why people like what they like... only to put forth the idea that different isn't always bad, even radically different, and to suggest that each person might see a separation between "poorly done" and "not to my taste". Even if "not to my taste" means "I want to bury it beneath radioactive waste and wipe even the memory of it's very existence from the universe!" :lol:

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
+1

I remember how freaking awesome they were in the 80s - The and Justice For all show is one of my all time favorite concerts (Ryche Mindcrime opening didnt hurt that show either)

Everything from the black album onwards just didnt have that spark of anger that the first 4 albums had. (at least not to me)
I unfortunately wasnt around then, but you can totally hear the difference in music from then to now.

http://www.youtube.com/v/551_hC414UY

You can hear james starting to do a bit more singy less agressive vocals there, but take a look at that. at ~2:40 james screams comeon. the whole sequence of 30 seconds or so before that is wild. that type of aggression is NOT in any of their newer music.

Im with ken on this. while alot of people just dont like the later music (which is completely legitimate), i think its probably WAY into the majority of people hating on it that just bitch cause its different. Its not like its uncommon to hear someone like something, until they find out who it is, regardless of genre (which is illegitimate and retarded). I could see someone being disappointed, totally. Now ripping the shit out of the band cause they made music you dont like, as if you never were into them at all, which alot of people do (mostly 12 year olds that never were around anything heavy outside of hardcore), is absurd.

[edit]I cant get it to embed properly, tried a few url formats, and the [youtube] code isnt working for me :shrug:

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
i hope its good, i won't judge comments from other people, when the albums out and i hear it, if its something different and awsome well done to them. if it sucks, i guess thats it for metallica lol. i ain't putting trust or doubting them, i just wanna see what happens. you can tell i am a korn fan by that statement lol every new album is to do with waiting and hearing what it "actually" sounds like :hbang:

either way, metallica still own, they produced some fantastic music back in their peak

neon_black88

Reaction score
I think St. Anger was indeed a big "fuck you"... who it was aimed at I'm not sure, but I think they unconsciously ended up pointing at themselves. Not because it sounded awful (it does) but because they had no filters, no editor, no one telling them "guys, I'm sorry, this sucks, I know you want to try something different, but this particular thing isn't working."

ST Anger is what it is because they didn't give a shit about what they were doing, watch Some Kind of Monster, none of them cared about what they were doing, they were just going through the motions. I said it before, music has taken a back seat to their lives now, they don't see each other outside metallica, Lars cares more about selling 1,000,000 dollar paintings than playing drums, Hetfield just wants to ride motorbikes and Kirk just wants to go surfing.

If they are "saying" anything in St Anger its because they know they have to say something.

The whole album was put together like a big pile of crap too, they just recorded riffs, and drum parts, sat behind and a computer and copyed and pasted shit where they wanted it to go. Lars was talking about how he had like thousands of random drum beats recorded so he could just drop in anything anywhere whenever he needed it like it was the best thing in the world. Then after the album was done they had to get together again and LEARN how the songs went because the songs where so chopped up and randomly put together from all these differnt jams. They were just so dissconnected from the songs that it was ridiculous.

Not to mention the therapist writing lyrics for them. Theres parts in it where they record and write lyrics that they look genuinly displeased at and they chuckle about it and they ENDED UP ON THE FRIGGIN ALBUM.

The best part of that whole movie is when Lars plays his dad a song, lars asks what he thinks and his dad something along the lines of "If I were you I would not put this song on then album" and that song became the title track if im not mistaken.

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score
Not to sound like an old fuck who claims to have walked to school uphill both ways but I just think unless you experienced Metallica in the early 80’s you really can’t look at what they’ve become and not feel a deep resentment towards the band, which has nothing to do with not accepting change. They went from being originators to followers and it’s just sad to see. From the Black album on they lost sight of what it was they were and maybe Bob Rock is partly to blame for that but I think in a way fame really hurt their judgment.

Universe74

Reaction score
of course the earlier ones are the best, but arent all bands earliest efforts the best?

Absolutely.

1 Ride My Rocket
2 I'll Be Alright
3 Tell Me If You Want It
4 Latest Lover
5 Biggest Part of Me
6 Metal Magic
7 Widowmaker
8 Nothin' on But the Radio
9 Sad Lover
10 Rock Out

')