Metallica - finished recording new album...

• Thread starter Sebastian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Absolutely.

1 Ride My Rocket
2 I'll Be Alright
3 Tell Me If You Want It
4 Latest Lover
5 Biggest Part of Me
6 Metal Magic
7 Widowmaker
8 Nothin' on But the Radio
9 Sad Lover
10 Rock Out

Well... Pantera had their early years.. they were.. all that glam and shit .. but whatever..
.. but later on they fucking kicked ass... :shred::scream:

EDIT?: Oh wait.. this is a Metallica thread :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ChaNce

Auto-banned?
Reaction score
Not to sound like an old fuck who claims to have walked to school uphill both ways but I just think unless you experienced Metallica in the early 80’s you really can’t look at what they’ve become and not feel a deep resentment towards the band, which has nothing to do with not accepting change. They went from being originators to followers and it’s just sad to see. From the Black album on they lost sight of what it was they were and maybe Bob Rock is partly to blame for that but I think in a way fame really hurt their judgment.

This. Lightening/Puppets were life-changing albums. Although I don't agree that the Black album was wrong: It was the culmination of the right sound, the right influences, producer, and environment, and single-handedly moved metal into the mainstream. It is still the go-to album for most engineers for drum and guitar sounds. It is by far the best-sounding metal album out there. A true masterpiece to be appreciated, even if you like some of their other albums better.

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
Old fart here too. Started with RTL the year it came out. The black album, while well produced, was no longer Metallica. I liked it for what it was, and have found likable elements in most of their stuff up to but not including St. Anger, and I may like a riff or two off of the new disc, but I'm not your typical codger. My tastes evolve. Mainstreamica happened to evolve in the opposite direction from where I was heading.

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
Old fart here too. Started with RTL the year it came out. The black album, while well produced, was no longer Metallica. I liked it for what it was, and have found likable elements in most of their stuff up to but not including St. Anger, and I may like a riff or two off of the new disc, but I'm not your typical codger. My tastes evolve. Mainstreamica happened to evolve in the opposite direction from where I was heading.

pretty much sums up my relationship with metallica, although for me it started with MOP, I heard RTL later

shadowgenesis

Yarrrrrr
Reaction score
i'll check out some of the songs before i buy it.. but i'll likely pick it up just to see Rick Rubin's work, as he's one of my personal heroes. Just from the little bit i saw him interacting w/ Lars in the one vid, i think he can bring something really great to the table by challenging the band and at the same time saying "there are no rules to follow"

even then, from the clips i've heard, it STILL sounds like it's gonna be too polished sounding for me. I think part of what made early metallica good was that the recordings sounded gritty. Of course i do love some real clean production for some things (Dream Theater comes to mind) but i can't see them trying to recapture the energy of their older work without going back to that general vibe.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
[edit]I cant get it to embed properly, tried a few url formats, and the [youtube] code isnt working for me :shrug:

It's youtubevid, not just youtube, and you were embedding the fullscreen version, which ya can't do. ;)

And yes, THIS = Metallica. You can tell Hetfield's voice isn't the same as his youth, but he sounds damn good anyway. The new Hetfield just sound like a washed up lounge act.

That said, LOOK at the fucking crowd in that video. They're playing to a sea of chaos, military beating people with clubs, broken glass and just energy. This is Metallica kicking ass, and why their new shit offends me. As soon as they became popular, they started to suck.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
This is fucking awesome as well.

Note, Hammett sounding great without a Wah in this video. People always crack on him because he's not John Petrucci, but Hammett was always just a lead guitarist in a thrash band, not some sweeping virtuoso. He never claimed to be perfect, didn't care, and wrote some damn legendary shit. He's still one of my guitar heros.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah i tried to post the original link (to the normal page) and that didnt work, so i tried a bunch of different url formats :lol:
youtubevid though, got it. thanks :yesway:

FWIW dudes, friday when i saw em, first night of their new tour, was badass. James didnt croon once, and hammet laid off the wah. It looked alot closer to that video than it did to other more recent metallica shows. It was really sort of a back to the roots show to. they hardly played anything post AJFA

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Would be cool if they did another album like Justice, Puppets or Ride The Lightning. :agreed:

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
I went over to Mission: Metallica (oy, cheeeez)... in addition to the teaser clips, there's a Preview and a Fly on the Wall video up... the preview in particular was interesting to me, for two reasons:

1) Lars' natural rhythm sucks so bad, he can NOT keep time without a click
2) Lars is never wrong, and he will talk incessantly about it, to anyone who will listen. Or just breath in some kind of proximity.

Actually, not to dig him too hard about the click; as a drummer, if the rest of the band is feeling slight tempo shifts and all go with it, it can be hard to drag them back. Depending on the music, small tempo changes can be cool, going with the flow of the song.

On the other hand, if fucking Rick Rubin is telling you, oh so nicely, that you can't keep time worth a shit, shut the fuck up and listen! :lol:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
well there was talk of some crazy fast riffing, and that most of the songs are from 7 to 9 minutes long... it sounds like a step in the right direction

there were a few fast riffs on st. anger and most of the songs were 7-9 minutes long (or felt like it) :lol:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
there were a few fast riffs on st. anger and most of the songs were 7-9 minutes long (or felt like it) :lol:

Yeah, one of the (many) problems with Saint Anger is that they'd have a really simple song composed of 3-4 riffs that went on for 6-7 minutes. I didn't like the song, but if you were gonna just do really simplistic riffs over and over, you could have at least shortened it to 3-4 minutes, maybe added a melodic lead, or... I dunno. something.

I didn't like Saint Anger at all, but that was one of the problems that stuck out to me. Songs that were too long, considering what the songs were composed of.

shadowgenesis

Yarrrrrr
Reaction score

oh my bad. i wasn't fooled into buying that album. :lol:

On the other hand, if fucking Rick Rubin is telling you, oh so nicely, that you can't keep time worth a shit, shut the fuck up and listen! :lol:

the impression i got was that Rick was telling him NOT to use the click, because he LIKED the little variances in time and Lars refused to play WITHOUT it because he's such a bullheaded douchebag.

oh yeah. did i mention i think Lars is a total douche? That video does a pretty good job of summing up why

shadowgenesis

Yarrrrrr
Reaction score

Metallica unlearns how to play Creeping Death.

anyone else think that Lars looks really awkward playing drums? Like... something about watching him play is kind of unnerving. Like. It seems odd that he really has to look at pretty much every drum he's hitting as opposed to naturally feeling the set. Or is that just in my mind?

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
anyone else think that Lars looks really awkward playing drums? Like... something about watching him play is kind of unnerving. Like. It seems odd that he really has to look at pretty much every drum he's hitting as opposed to naturally feeling the set. Or is that just in my mind?

I just thought it was weird that Robert's mike was louder than James'. So it seemed like James was just like "Fuck it." You see him try singing the chorus half through and then he's like, "Oh yeah... my volume's turned down really low... Fuck it."

I hate James' singing style nowadays, but you can't have Creeping Death without "DIE by my hand; we creep across the land, killing first born man."

')