Metallica - finished recording new album...

• Thread starter Sebastian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
what I don't like these days is how they've tuned down to accomodate James voice... I tihnk they're like a whole tone down nowadays. Whereas all the classics are in standard and should remain so IMO.

I've got my fingers crossed for a good Metallica album again, but meh... not getting my hopes up too much. *Puts on Blackened*

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
I've got my fingers crossed for a good Metallica album again, but meh... not getting my hopes up too much.

I used to keep my hope up high too... but after three straight disappointing albums (like Ken said, those are BLAND rock music!), I will never buy another album by this band, period! I sincerely do not see them getting that same passion, same drive, same hunger back into their music like in the old days anymore. :mad: :noplease:

b3n

...Is unacceptable.
Contributor
Reaction score
I will never buy another album by this band, period!

I don't really undestand that attitude... If I like an album, I'll buy it, regardless of what the band might have done before... why deprive yourself of good music just because you didn't like their previous album/s?

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
I don't really undestand that attitude... If I like an album, I'll buy it, regardless of what the band might have done before... why deprive yourself of good music just because you didn't like their previous album/s?

True, or let me re-phrase it a bit. Until I hear that album in its entirety, I won't consider buying it.

That said, there are other good bands / music out there too, so why bother "hoping" something good would eventually come out of them again?

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score
This is fucking awesome as well.

Note, Hammett sounding great without a Wah in this video. People always crack on him because he's not John Petrucci, but Hammett was always just a lead guitarist in a thrash band, not some sweeping virtuoso. He never claimed to be perfect, didn't care, and wrote some damn legendary shit. He's still one of my guitar heros.

When you step back and look at it like that you make a good point Chris. I just think his playing has been so stale for so long that he catches a lot of shit for it. I think between RTL and AJFA and even the Black album he wrote some great leads that will will always be memorable for me. I just wish he progressed more.

ChaNce

Auto-banned?
Reaction score
anyone else think that Lars looks really awkward playing drums? Like... something about watching him play is kind of unnerving. Like. It seems odd that he really has to look at pretty much every drum he's hitting as opposed to naturally feeling the set. Or is that just in my mind?

He has always played like that. It's really weird, all hunched over. I think the oddest thing is just how he holds his sticks, it looks like he can't get any leverage, can't hit hard and get tone out of the drums.

The best comparison I can make (and most of us on this board will know exactly what I'm talking about): When you are in a band with a bad drummer, and you constantly have this low-level anxiety that the drummer is going to drop the ball, so you can never really relax because you have to constantly watch him to follow if he drops or adds a beat.

I just thought it was weird that Robert's mike was louder than James'. So it seemed like James was just like "Fuck it." You see him try singing the chorus half through and then he's like, "Oh yeah... my volume's turned down really low... Fuck it."

I hate James' singing style nowadays, but you can't have Creeping Death without "DIE by my hand; we creep across the land, killing first born man."

James' voice is getting weaker by the day, and they are practicing, so he is only singing lines as cues, and not really trying. He has sung it hundreds of times, so he is just saving his voice. Pretty typical in practice.

As for the "Die" section: every live version I've seen and heard them do that section as a sing-along break-down. In the vid, they play it the same way, and James sings the part. In fact, it's identical to the Live Shit version, where Jason used to sing "Die, MutherFukker, Die" (you can hear it in the vid in the background.

I've posted this before, but this is the best version of Creeping Death live:)

intereo_luuk

Reaction score
I really love the double bass patterns of Joey.. it's a bit Slipknot style, but it is way better then Lars Ulrich's shit!

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
what I don't like these days is how they've tuned down to accomodate James voice... I tihnk they're like a whole tone down nowadays. Whereas all the classics are in standard and should remain so IMO.

I've got my fingers crossed for a good Metallica album again, but meh... not getting my hopes up too much. *Puts on Blackened*

I've read somewhere that Rick Rubin pushed hetfield to write in E standard, because he thought his voice sounded better when they played in E, so we'll see...

The first time I saw this video I thought it was the best live video ever... And everytime I watch the Seattle 89 live I think that it's the best live show ever :bowdown:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I hate James' singing style nowadays, but you can't have Creeping Death without "DIE by my hand; we creep across the land, killing first born man."

Except that now you have, "Di-eee, by my ha-yand, we creep uh-cross the la-yand, killing first bowrn mah-yan."

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've read somewhere that Rick Rubin pushed hetfield to write in E standard, because he thought his voice sounded better when they played in E, so we'll see...

The first time I saw this video I thought it was the best live video ever... And everytime I watch the Seattle 89 live I think that it's the best live show ever :bowdown:

^ He oops'ed the first line.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score

Followup video to that is equally awesome.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, live Metallica from 89 to about 94 was just fucking unbelieveable. :agreed:

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score

That's a straightforward question, which deserves an honest answer. I personally am very irritated with the way that these guys have acted. They have a ridiculously disproportionate sense of entitlement. They owe their fancy cars, gigantic houses and careers to the fans of those first few albums.

Plus, they suck now compared to what they used to do. It's too late. They'll never get it back and they will never get another dime of my money ever.

I was happy to see that they are doing some charity work. Metallica should do a lot of charity work.

')