Metallica Unreleased song from Death Magnetic.

• Thread starter thedarkoceans
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ckackley

Reaction score
I was watching some videos from the recording of "Death Magnetic" earlier today . The guitar tones they had in the studio were phenomenal. Especially Robb's bass tone. However it seems that when the final album got mastered they compressed the living shit out of everything and sucked the good parts of the guitar tone away. Seems this track suffers from the same issues. It's not a bad song at all in my opinion. Hell , lyrically for every "Master of Puppets" the band had they had something like "Trapped Under Ice" or "Don't Tread on Me".. Goofy lyrics and Metallica kinda go hand in hand. Still some of the best Rhythm guitar playing ever.. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
its an okay song. i heard it on youtube. I had the album and hated it. Traded it for Van Halen 1984. Hopefully the new album will be better, Lulu or the newer one theyre working on.

davidengel

Reaction score
I was watching some videos from the recording of "Death Magnetic" earlier today . The guitar tones they had in the studio were phenomenal. Especially Robb's bass tone. However it seems that when the final album got mastered they compressed the living shit out of everything and sucked the good parts of the guitar tone away.

Correct. Check out the unmastered songs off of Death Magnetic. The mix's were sent to Activision for Guitar Hero instead of the mastered songs, those fucker's sound so much better.

Kamin

Reaction score
Correct. Check out the unmastered songs off of Death Magnetic. The mix's were sent to Activision for Guitar Hero instead of the mastered songs, those fucker's sound so much better.

Wow. It's hard to believe they would allow such a shit mastering job to go through.

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
The worst part of that is everyone involved in the production/mastering keeps passing the buck and saying "well it wasn't MY fault!" It just seems like none of the engineers had the guts to stand up and actually tell the band (who technically produced because Rick Rubin did pretty much nothing) that it would sound better without taking part in Loudness Wars. I still basically blame Lars. Even the Guitar Hero remasters don't sound all that much different, but they almost make it listenable.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I actually rather liked this, surprisingly enough!

Sephiroth952

Ibby Fanboy
Reaction score
Wow, that actually sounded really good. Really the only complaint I have for DM ((Beside the shitty ass production)) Was that most of the solo's sucked ass, that one sounded pretty descent and do I dare say thought out. And the lack of over bearing wah was very welcome.

BobbyBaja

Reaction score
Dunno about anyone else, but on Just a Bullet Away, I noticed two things...

1. Lots of Mastodon influence (least in a few spots in my opinion).
2. Dear god James can write some mean solos.

Kwirk

The Wrong Advices
Reaction score
Not bad. Not bad at all. James' leads are pretty awesome. I'm assuming that's also him noodling at the end of Hate Train. Also, the drums during the second half of the Just a Bullet Away section/chorus are kind of annoying.

craigny

Winning...duh
Reaction score
Cant view these at work, but I liked Death Magnetic, even though the production was shit...like stated bove the guitars sound over compressed or something....say what you want about the album but i think the black album had the best guitar tone

kaffefilter

Reaction score
You can definitely tell why these songs were left out. The arrangements are a bit so-so, and the drumming is mostly sub-par even for Lars. But after a few listens, I have to say they're kind of growing on me. Brings me back to 2008 and the excitement over new material in the Mission Metallica videos. Good times :)

Gamma362

Loomis Fanboy
Reaction score
The best one out of the 4 released is just a bullet away. its the most coherent of them, really wish it was included on Death Magnetic instead of my apocalypse. Really love the vocal delivery in the song

Omarfan

Reaction score
I like Hate Train a lot in the studio, even if it runs a little long. Does anyone else feel like the main riff is copped from Fuel though? Or Through the Never? Or like a hundred other Metallica songs actually?

I also like how they mention that this is unmastered, left in the mixes that were set before they were scrapped from DM, and they sound way better than DM. Loudness war LOL.

Latest posts

')