Metallica's Black Album officially turns 30 yrs old

• Thread starter Louis Cypher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
It's a great album...that I couldn't stand the moment I heard it. It's the album that made me stop listening to Metallica. But that is because I just wanted "my" Metallica to just keep rewriting "disposable heroes" until they retire. That said...the songs are great and I can't believe it's been 30 years and in retrospect I have been much more appreciative of the songs for what they are instead of focusing on what I wanted them to be at the time I first heard them. And I agree OP, hearing Nothing Else Matters makes me want to go to the toilet.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I really dig the honesty in this thread and for me, I have to admit that the Black album was quite a bittersweet listen. My three best friends and I literally wore the grooves down on Kill Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets ( and Garage Days and the Creeping Death EP to a lesser extent)... all on vinyl then dubbed onto cassettes to take on the road, to parties, etc. Sadly in '89-'90 we all went our separate ways and that marked the end of a chapter where the early days of Metallica was often the soundtrack.

When the Black album came out, it just didn't resonate with me in the same way because so much had changed. I was living in a new town with new friends and I think that with each song I just missed my old friends and the old days more and more. I appreciated the production and everything musically about most of the album but it just never became deeply ingrained in my heart like the other earlier albums. Seriously good album though.

PS: Cliff em all/ metal up your ass

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I didnt expect Jason to do the unboxing ! That’s a cool move ;)

Definitely cool move, and great to see that he doesn't seem bitter despite everything that went down.

Regarding the album - I was 2 years old when it came out so for whatever reason I kinda missed out on the release :lol: But around 10 years later, Enter Sandman was among the first songs I learned to play on guitar. I immediately jumped on the RTL/MOP/AJFA bandwagon though, so the black album didn't get much playtime from me. It sounds great and all, but the songs just don't click the same way those three albums do. And like a couple of guys've said here, Nothing Else Matters is also a song during which I'd rather take a shit or something. I mean, it's a great composition and all, but it's just soooooo overplayed. It's a 30 year old song and it's still everywhere...

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Black album was my introduction to Metallica and metal in general. My older brother would buy the album and just listen to enter sandman, so at some point I stole it and was listening to it and I loved it. Hadn’t heard anything that heavy certainly, and loved the solos and what not. At that point I was familiar with some 80’s stuff so I knew about solos but these just sounded so rad and different.

after that I went backwards and found MOP, AJFA, RTL, KEA, etc. and was starting to go down a metal rabbit hole. I still have a soft spot for this album even though it’s definitely not my favorite Metallica album, but it’s what got me started and the riffs are really killer

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
I came to appreciate it later, I mean hell, how many bands could pull off such an about face and come out bigger? Great songs, riffs, production...totally different band!

I remember being less annoyed by pop fans getting into the band than being told over and over that Lars was the best drummer in the world.

Dooky

Reaction score
Explain how that's a compliment?
Don't take this the wrong way, but you are very high maintenance. So many questions! May I recommend you try using google. It's a convenient and helpful tool that will aid you with the many quandaries with which you appear to struggle.

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way, but you are very high maintenance. So many questions! May I recommend you try using google. It's a convenient and helpful tool that will aid you with the many quandaries with which you appear to struggle.

Calgon...take me away!

Dooky

Reaction score

Calgon...take me away!
I had to google that as I was uncertain as to what you were referring. But with the help of google, I now know and can enjoy a chuckle at your humorous response :)

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Thanks to this thread, I decided to revisit The Black Album after several years of not listening to anything off of it. While I've appreciated the album and tunes over the years and since I first heard it, it was always a kind of gray area for me regarding the band as I adored their earlier stuff so much more and that was one of the biggest influences on me to play. The Black Album was the "break point" where things changed regarding Metallica. And honestly, it really stands out on it's own, separate both from what came before and after. It's too good for me to write off, but I never embraced it the way I did Metallica's other stuff, even some of the later offerings like Garage Inc.

Coming back to it now, and it's amazing to see how large of a leap their songwriting took on this album. Bob Rock's production is of course lauded as it should be too, but it really is still somewhat undersold as to how good it is.

The Black Album is never going to be my favorite Metallica album, but I think I can finally properly appreciate it now. And truthfully, I think The Unforgiven may be the band's pinnacle.

Latest posts

')