Metroid Prime 4

Cannibalcricket

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love Metroid. My dog's name is Samus so it's obvious that I'm excited that Metroid Prime 4 is coming out "soon". Curious about everyone else's thoughts on this and your experience with the franchise in general.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I switch back and forth between Metroid and Zelda being my favorite videogame franchises. I've been playing Metroid since the mid 90s, before Fusion came out. I remember Super Metroid being absolutely terrifying when I was like 5 :lol:. Super is one of my favorite games of all time, as well as... almost every other Metroid game. :lol:

Finally seeing a MP4 trailer was pretty relieving, and I think it looks fantastic.
It made me go back and replay the Prime remake. Hopefully it's a Switch 2 release so they take advantage of the new hardware.

Cannibalcricket

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nin
I switch back and forth between Metroid and Zelda being my favorite videogame franchises. I've been playing Metroid since the mid 90s, before Fusion came out. I remember Super Metroid being absolutely terrifying when I was like 5 :lol:. Super is one of my favorite games of all time, as well as... almost every other Metroid game. :lol:

Finally seeing a MP4 trailer was pretty relieving, and I think it looks fantastic.
It made me go back and replay the Prime remake. Hopefully it's a Switch 2 release so they take advantage of the new hardware.
Nintendo got me. Metroid Prime 4 was the reason I went and got a Switch. And in Super Metroid when the Crocomire's skeleton comes through the wall after it melts in the lava? So fuckin metal!!! Or big baby saves your ass in the nick of time and super juices you!? Yep it was the coolest game experience of my childhood.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm kind of in the same boat... I like most things Nintendo but was more into Metroid and Zelda over Mario. Super Metroid is such a great game!

That said I haven't played anything after Super! I have a switch but haven't tried any of the first person games. Is MP4 coming out on the current switch or on the next one?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the original Prime trilogy, but I've also become an old man, and a bit cynical about the state of the industry - I'm at least a bit worried that trying to recapture the proverbial lightning in a bottle, recreating the experience of something that was in some ways genre-defining, is at a high risk is missing the mark. It could stray too close to the originals and feel very dated. It could deviate too far from the originals and miss the point of a Metroid game.

I'm also running out of sympathy for the dated Switch hardware. I think this is supposed to come out on the current Switch, which is fine, but I find it difficult to continue to judge games coming out in 2024 and later by the standards of 7 year old mobile hardware. There's a tangible feeling of almost whiplash returning to the Switch from almost any other platform. Put down Elden Ring and pick up BotW and tell me it doesn't feel like you've gone back in time.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Nintendo got me. Metroid Prime 4 was the reason I went and got a Switch. And in Super Metroid when the Crocomire's skeleton comes through the wall after it melts in the lava? So fuckin metal!!! Or big baby saves your ass in the nick of time and super juices you!? Yep it was the coolest game experience of my childhood.
Right? The Crocomire thing is still so disturbing all these years later :lol: like a Cannibal Corpose album cover or something. Super was the right mix of psychological and a little bit of visual horror.

I'm kind of in the same boat... I like most things Nintendo but was more into Metroid and Zelda over Mario. Super Metroid is such a great game!

That said I haven't played anything after Super! I have a switch but haven't tried any of the first person games. Is MP4 coming out on the current switch or on the next one?
Oh man! You're missing out, so much good stuff after Super. The Prime series is incredible (at least the first two... I never played Prime 3 cause I was already a shitty teenager when it came out and thought videogames were for losers :lol: ), and Metroid Dread on the Switch was such a good conclusion to the mainline story, with super tight gameplay.

Also, if you ever play Other M... well, enjoy the gameplay, but try not to pay attention to the story :lol:

EDIT: I would be willing to bet that it will come out for the Switch successor sometime next year.

Demiurge

Reaction score
It's one of my favorite series. I have fond memories of playing the first one the most: first apartment after college, bought my broke-ass a Gamecube and a used copy of Prime 1, and played the hell out of it most nights after work because I couldn't afford to go out.

And now I'm an old man in my 40s waiting for #4 to come out.

Cannibalcricket

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's one of my favorite series. I have fond memories of playing the first one the most: first apartment after college, bought my broke-ass a Gamecube and a used copy of Prime 1, and played the hell out of it most nights after work because I couldn't afford to go out.

And now I'm an old man in my 40s waiting for #4 to come out.
I graduated high school and played prime 1. Can't believe I have 3 kids and a wife and looking forward to playing the 4th one. Picked up the remaster to share with the kids and show them what games were like when dinosaurs roamed the earth

Cannibalcricket

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the original Prime trilogy, but I've also become an old man, and a bit cynical about the state of the industry - I'm at least a bit worried that trying to recapture the proverbial lightning in a bottle, recreating the experience of something that was in some ways genre-defining, is at a high risk is missing the mark. It could stray too close to the originals and feel very dated. It could deviate too far from the originals and miss the point of a Metroid game.

I'm also running out of sympathy for the dated Switch hardware. I think this is supposed to come out on the current Switch, which is fine, but I find it difficult to continue to judge games coming out in 2024 and later by the standards of 7 year old mobile hardware. There's a tangible feeling of almost whiplash returning to the Switch from almost any other platform. Put down Elden Ring and pick up BotW and tell me it doesn't feel like you've gone back in time.
I feel you on the games getting out paced so rapidly by the bleeding edge of technology. I am excited about a remaster af the old prime stuff being a possibility with this new release. But I am cautiously optimistic that it will be a solid addition to the mix. Hoping them scrapping bandai and going with the og retrostudio was worth the crazy wait

Latest posts

')