Metroid Prime 4

• Thread starter Cannibalcricket
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

brector

Reaction score
I've done that too. They still have a limited life to them. I dunno if I've just gotten unlucky, but every one I've replaced eventually started drifting too.
Ouch! Did you by chance use hall effect switches? They are supposed to be the cure - but maybe not

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I've not tried hall effect anything yet. One I couple apart just to deep clean, and this lasted the longest, but at least one of those ones is back to pre-cleaning performance. Another one was a mashup of two drifting controllers to make one good one. It failed within a few months. I did one with some cheap replacement sticks from the internet, but I can't vouch for the source being any good - I maybe just bought some junk sticks, I dunno.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
My understanding is that the Joy Con in particular (and potentially the PS5 because it seems more susceptible than Xbox, but that might be a numbers thing), has a design that is prone to the drift happening. At least in the case of the Joy Con I know people are suspicious of the thinness of them potentially causing a problem.

Doesn't apply to wankerness's problem obviously, but honestly that's the first time I've heard of Pro Controllers breaking like that.

wankerness

Reaction score
I suspect 95% of these issues are just caused by dirt getting in there, but it is annoying that taking them apart and cleaning seems to make them work well for a much shorter period of time than when they're new, so there must be something else going on. maybe the dirt getting in there and wearing away at the ball or something.

Moral of the story is I need to keep my console in a clean room and also wear medical gloves while playing, I guess.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Those sticks are kinda similar to just having to guitar volume pots stuck in a little box. It's just two tiny potentiometers. Could just be that, fundamentally, there's only so reliable two tiny pots can be.

brector

Reaction score
I suspect 95% of these issues are just caused by dirt getting in there, but it is annoying that taking them apart and cleaning seems to make them work well for a much shorter period of time than when they're new, so there must be something else going on. maybe the dirt getting in there and wearing away at the ball or something.

Moral of the story is I need to keep my console in a clean room and also wear medical gloves while playing, I guess.
To my knowledge, this is why the hall effect sticks are supposed to correct the issue. They are contactless vs. potentiometers

')