Metronome

skitter

Reaction score
Hi all (I'm new here)

What is your recommended metronome? (Software not hardware)

I put this question in this thread because I'm looking for the best metronome to use for speed training... I'm after something that has features like the ability to gradually speed up to a set point.

I hope this makes sense and sorry if this really is posted in the wrong area. :cool:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
Any DAW has a built in adjustable metronome. You can typically change time signatures too. I personally tend to load up a quick drum patch and loop a simple drum beat. Kicks on 1 and 3, with snares on 2 and four, and 8th notes on a closed hi hat.

I have FL. Studio Mobile, so this applies on the go too.

ghost_of_karelia

Utrydd dei Svake
Reaction score
Guitar Pro 5 has that speed thingy you're on about. Somewhere else probably does it better, but if I need to speed something up gradually that's where I go. Otherwise I use Silverdial, free app, awesome functionality, easy to use. :D

Lokasenna

Reaction score
I'm sure every DAW these days can do the same, but in Reaper you could set the starting tempo to 120, add a tempo change to 240 after a few hundred bars, and there's a box you can check off labelled "gradually adjust tempo" to have it slowly increase as you go.

redstone

Reaction score
My advice : don't use it for speed training. When working on speed, every day is different. Your brain is trying different things, different paths, your muscles are not always at 100% of their ability, you must listen to yourself and do your best. Don't ask a machine to tell you how fast you should play. Sometimes you might need to alternate between various tempos randomly to get what you want, to grasp the right motion, a metronome will only disturb you and you'll end up focusing on it rather than what you really have to do.

SKoG

Reaction score
I use Open Metronome. Small visual footprint, hotkeys to change tempo, easy to adjust sounds, time signature, subdivisions.

')