Metronomes

• Thread starter distressed_romeo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

How often do you use a metronome?

• Every day without fail.

Votes: 23 27.4%
  • Every so often.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • Never.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Gnomes? We like underpants, we like underpants!

Votes: 15 17.9%

• Total voters

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Following on from last few posts in the 'What techniques are you working on?' thread...

How much time do you spend with the metronome?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I voted every day, although in reality I'm somewhere between that and "every so often." I'd say at least four days a week I do at least some metronome practice, lately anyhow (I've also gone through periods where I haven;t for months. My technique gets sloppier when I do this, but as I'm just improvising and jamming out most of that time, it seems to have been good for my touch on the instrument.

A metronome isn't an end unto itself (and I've heard some very good guitarists point out that eventually they can become a mental crutch holding up the deveopment of your own internal clock - Kaizen over at www.guitarwar.com comes to mind), but as a learning tool it CAN'T be underestimated.

Problem is they're kind of boring. So, I use that YMetronome program a lot to gradually pick up the tempo while practicing, or I'll sequence something in fruity loops with a 16th-note shaker click plus a drum beat and a couple chord changes or something, and use that.

I've been doing this lately working on my trem picking and alternate picking, and it's done wonders.

SevenatoR

Seven String Slinger
Reaction score
I voted "every so often" but I'd say not often enough. I usually fall back on it when I'm starting to have problems. If I would do it more often, I don't think I would run into the problems that cause me to go back to it.

Uhh...I think that makes sense...

God Hand Apostle

Tin Foil Central
Reaction score
I voted "every day."
My 7 string guitar has been in its case for about a month, while I keep the 7 string fretless bass out, and I really need to work with the metronome for my right hand technique for that monster.

It is especially helpfull when trying to learn slap technique so it will be even when you want to do some slap style scaler playing...It just has a different attack than finger style.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
when i get 'in the zone' for practice, every day.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
everyday, but I also consider a good drum beat to be a metronome... clicking is boring, but if you make it a quick snare every 1/2 beat, with 1/4's on the bass, it works:)

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't say every day, because I don't play every day...but when I do play, probably half my practices are at home with the metronome for part of the time, and the other half are with my drummer, and he plays to a click all of the time

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Haven't used a metronome much, but I like to break out the drum machine. I get a lot of energy from hearing perfect drum parts. I would like to start hitting it more often. Click tracks rule, too.

7stringninja

Southpaw Bastard
Reaction score
I'd say 50% of my "focused playing" is done with a metronome.

If I'm trying to be creative, its turned off. If I'm working on technique or someone else's material, it's on.

Chris D

Fiddich or Morangie???
Reaction score
Right now I prefer the drum machine or a backing track/loop.

Backings are cool for hearing stuff in context, like improv practice over progressions, even just noodling scales over a 1 chord loop.

I still go for a metronome sometimes for "excercises" but I'm going off stuff like that for now, I'd rather spend my practice time doing stuff that's more musical.
I'm getting a lot more out of hearing the context of stuff, my timing's okay & I'm not really looking to increase my speed at the moment, more concentrating on working on tension/release stuff over vamps.

[edit:note over-use of word "stuff"]...& stuff.

usagi

more gain please
Reaction score
David said:
everyday, but I also consider a good drum beat to be a metronome... clicking is boring, but if you make it a quick snare every 1/2 beat, with 1/4's on the bass, it works:)
+1
I find metronome boring but with a drum beat you get a more practical exercise. You won't be playing onstage with a metronome, I hope.

Miss UV

Reaction score
7stringninja said:
If I'm trying to be creative, its turned off. If I'm working on technique or someone else's material, it's on.

Same holds true for me, especially when I want to improve my speed.
Some people (often depending on the musical style they're playing :)) seem to underestimate the value of a metronome, but I think you really need it if you want improve your technique and speed...

Reaction score
Metronome metronome metronome!
And metrognome.
But really, timing, as far as I'm concerned, should be as perfect as pitch. I don't really like listening to people play unless their timing is at least nearly flawless. Including myself.
Attack of the bitchy perfectionist, I know.

tehk

Yes..
Reaction score
I recently discovered how absolutely important metronomes are. For about 3-4 years of guitar playing I've always learned songs by tabs and assumed the tempo without really knowing what was going on. So when I actually tried playing with a metronome 1 month ago, I found out I couldn't even play something simple (ie. eight notes) to 60bpm! That's really when I kick myself and got a metronome and started learning music theory (I didn't know what the hell "E" was, lol). I can play to a metronome and I use it everyday without question. Music theory however is really difficult to put to practice. I can write out scales and notes on the neck (with struggle of course ;)), but when I play I forget everything. I think it might be a good idea to take lessons heh.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
I VOTED FOR GNOMES AND THEIR AWESOME LOVE OF UNDERPANTS!!
And I think all of you should do the same.

Back on topic, I rarley use a metronome. My friend has one that I used once or twice, but that's it.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
abyssalservant said:
Attack of the bitchy perfectionist, I know.

Not at all...certain things are universal, timing and pitch being primary amongst them. I've taught people who come in wanting to learn all the flashy stuff straight away when they can't strum chords in time or bend notes in tune, and it never sounds impressive.

')