MH-417-Possible Re-finish

• Thread starter brutalslam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a LTD MH 417, that just sits in a case, because it's not one of my main guitars. But, I'm thinking of sanding it down and doing a natural finish.

I have no woodworking experience whatsoever, but I would like to try it. Also it is mahogany neck through, and i think that might look pretty awesome with a natural finish.

What are you thoughts? Should I try it even though I have no experience?

Also, I have access to an electric hand sander. And I thought I could buy some sanding sponges. What else would I need?

What are my clear coat/varnish options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
A spindle sander will save you lots of frustration on the inside of the cutaways. Or a sand paper covered dowel in a drill.

Also, what kind of electric sander? A random orbital sander is definitely (to me at least) the most useful and efficient kind you can get. You can utilize the soft cushion on the bottom to make it get into all the curves on the carved top. Couldn't live without it.

You also need patience. Lots of that, in fact.

Neil

Reaction score
One thing to think about is that solid finish guitars might not have very pretty woods underneath, could be knots, wood filler, body made of many odd sized pieces etc

Just in case that might bother you :)

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
One thing to think about is that solid finish guitars might not have very pretty woods underneath, could be knots, wood filler, body made of many odd sized pieces etc

Just in case that might bother you :)

eh, ESP usually uses quasi decent woods for LTD's from what I've seen. Then again, look at that epiphone thread to see all kinds of shenanigans the epiphone factory pulled on him haha.

At worst, I'd expect it to be 2 side wings, the neck, and then perhaps a "top peice" for the contoured body part.

Reaction score
I don't mind if there is some weird looking wood spots underneath, that would just make it cooler looking I think, haha.

Do I need to remove all hardware/bridge/tuners, etc?

and what about the pickups? I know how to unscrew them, but do I cut the soldered wires to get them out?

HighPotency

Reaction score
I don't mind if there is some weird looking wood spots underneath, that would just make it cooler looking I think, haha.

Do I need to remove all hardware/bridge/tuners, etc?

and what about the pickups? I know how to unscrew them, but do I cut the soldered wires to get them out?
Yes, you would have to remove all of the hardware that is possible to remove.

For the pickups, you can either desolder the connections, or cut the wires as close to the connection as possible. I'd probably recommend cutting them if you don't know what you're doing.

Reaction score
Yes, you would have to remove all of the hardware that is possible to remove.

For the pickups, you can either desolder the connections, or cut the wires as close to the connection as possible. I'd probably recommend cutting them if you don't know what you're doing.

So, cut the pickups wires right before the point where they are going into the holes in the route?

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
The MH417 uses EMGs.

unplug the cables from the pickups and pull the wires, gently, through the body routes.

If you have to cut them, cut them as close to the potentiometers as possible.

You may even be able to get away with just unscrewing the pot from the top of the body, and just taking it out that way with out having to cut anything

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
OR, crazy thought, just cut them in the middle, and if you suck ass at soldering, its ok, because you just need to twist the wires together run some quick solder over the top, tape and done... takes about 5 minutes to do the whole guitar.

Take some GOOD pictures, label everything, and you can have the stuff in and out in no time.

Reaction score
The MH417 uses EMGs.

unplug the cables from the pickups and pull the wires, gently, through the body routes.

If you have to cut them, cut them as close to the potentiometers as possible.

You may even be able to get away with just unscrewing the pot from the top of the body, and just taking it out that way with out having to cut anything

I should have mentioned, that my MH 417 does not have EMG's, because the previous owner swapped them for Dimarzio's.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
that's a terrible idea.
facepalm.jpg

If he cant solder very well, how is leaving the original connections intact, and simply cut and reconnect wires as needed a "terrible idea"?

Berserker

Reaction score
So do you think refinishing it will make you play it more? Maybe it's just me but I don't see the point in spending time and money on an axe I never play.

HighPotency

Reaction score
facepalm.jpg

If he cant solder very well, how is leaving the original connections intact, and simply cut and reconnect wires as needed a "terrible idea"?
Because then he would be halving the length of the original pickup lead, and then he'd be crossing all of the wires and soldering it all together.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Because then he would be halving the length of the original pickup lead, and then he'd be crossing all of the wires and soldering it all together.

1) It's 4 wires (unless coil tapped)... Label with tape, cut, do work, connect wires, solder. Its literally that simple.
2) these are used dimarzio's, not brand new BKP's. And "halving the length" is a bit extreme. Cutting the wires about 2-3 inches away from the pot is fine.
3) Its cleaner, and easier. Perfect for someone who hasn't soldered before.

Soldering is 50% skill and 50% art. You dont just pick up a soldering iron and go "Im gonna solder today!". A cold solder joint on a pot is rather easy to do if you dont know what you are doing. Fucking up a simple wire reconnect is next to impossible.

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
facepalm.jpg

If he can't solder very well, then why go through all that in the first place?
there's still the likely case that it doesn't go well.

Cut at the pots, that way the leads remain intact, and have someone resolder the connections for you, so you know it's done right.

1) It's 4 wires (unless coil tapped)... Label with tape, cut, do work, connect wires, solder. Its literally that simple.
2) these are used dimarzio's, not brand new BKP's. And "halving the length" is a bit extreme. Cutting the wires about 2-3 inches away from the pot is fine.
3) Its cleaner, and easier. Perfect for someone who hasn't soldered before.

Soldering is 50% skill and 50% art. You dont just pick up a soldering iron and go "Im gonna solder today!". A cold solder joint on a pot is rather easy to do if you dont know what you are doing. Fucking up a simple wire reconnect is next to impossible.

Not to mention cutting them at the pots, is just one step...

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
If he can't solder very well, then why go through all that in the first place?
there's still the likely case that it doesn't go well.

Cut at the pots, that way the leads remain intact, and have someone resolder the connections for you, so you know it's done right.

Not to mention cutting them at the pots, is just one step...

If he's gonna do that, may as well just desolder them. In a perfect world, I'd simply suggest just wire it properly lol, however soldering on a pot isnt the most easy thing to do cleanly. When I started off soldering, I ended up globbing huge amounts of solder on just to get things to stick. Its a learning process, learning to solder wires together is a better start then going to bare pots.
If you can have someone who knows what they are doing resolder it, then by all means do that! :p

Reaction score
So do you think refinishing it will make you play it more? Maybe it's just me but I don't see the point in spending time and money on an axe I never play.

Actually, you bring up a good point. But, I also don't really want to do it to one of my main guitars, in case something doesn't go so well. I thought about doing it to my RG7421, but I love that guitar, and I would be pissed if i messed it up.

I'm still deciding, what to do.

')