Mic Blending On Guitar Cab?

Ben_Ferguson

Defining mediocrity
Reaction score
Hey dudes!

I have a Kemper and I'm looking at getting some new profiles of my Mesa 4x12 using different mics through my Blackstar Series One 200 for demo tracking.

I own a Shure SM57, a Sennheiser e906 and I have access to a Shure SM7b, a Blue Baby Bottle, and another Shure SM57.
I have a very vague idea of mic placement, (on the edge of the dust cap, any tips are appreciated!) but I'm totally lost as to how you'd set blend the mics. Should they be both at the same level, or should one be dominant?

Now, another query I have is in regard to a rumour I heard of the "arrow" mic technique used in Studio Fredman using two 57s on the edge of the dust cap. Can anyone shed light on this in regards to placement and mic blending?

Cheers! :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey dudes!

I have a Kemper and I'm looking at getting some new profiles of my Mesa 4x12 using different mics through my Blackstar Series One 200 for demo tracking.

I own a Shure SM57, a Sennheiser e906 and I have access to a Shure SM7b, a Blue Baby Bottle, and another Shure SM57.
I have a very vague idea of mic placement, (on the edge of the dust cap, any tips are appreciated!) but I'm totally lost as to how you'd set blend the mics. Should they be both at the same level, or should one be dominant?

Now, another query I have is in regard to a rumour I heard of the "arrow" mic technique used in Studio Fredman using two 57s on the edge of the dust cap. Can anyone shed light on this in regards to placement and mic blending?

Cheers! :hbang:

Your second question - this, more or less:

Fredman Micing | www.metalrecording.com

Set them so their capsules are touching, at about a 45 degree angle to each other. It's a pretty good first technique to try with multiple mics, because due to their very close proximity, the mics are in phase with each other.

As for the other question, the general philosophy for using more than one mic is to set one "primary" mic to capture the bulk of your guitar sound, and then a "secondary" mic to fill in something the primary one is missing. Bring the primary one up in the mix, and then start bringing in the secondary until it sounds right to you. The Fredman technique above is a bit of an exception as the mics are set even with each other, but it's also a bit of an anomaly as you're generally blending in different sounding mics, rather than two of the same.

Also, I'm sure there are existing impulses out there that can do what you're looking for, and furthermore if you've never worked with multiple mics, phase issues are going to drive you insane. This may be more trouble than it's worth if you're just going to be using a modeler to record direct anyway.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
+1 to pretty much everything Drew said.

You can use as many mics as you want, but you're better off working out the perfect tone for one mic, then finding what it's missing and adding that with other mics and tone colour. Lacking low end, put a mic BEHIND the cabinet to capture the low end off-axis information etc

Ben_Ferguson

Defining mediocrity
Reaction score
Your second question - this, more or less:

Fredman Micing | www.metalrecording.com

Set them so their capsules are touching, at about a 45 degree angle to each other. It's a pretty good first technique to try with multiple mics, because due to their very close proximity, the mics are in phase with each other.

As for the other question, the general philosophy for using more than one mic is to set one "primary" mic to capture the bulk of your guitar sound, and then a "secondary" mic to fill in something the primary one is missing. Bring the primary one up in the mix, and then start bringing in the secondary until it sounds right to you. The Fredman technique above is a bit of an exception as the mics are set even with each other, but it's also a bit of an anomaly as you're generally blending in different sounding mics, rather than two of the same.

Also, I'm sure there are existing impulses out there that can do what you're looking for, and furthermore if you've never worked with multiple mics, phase issues are going to drive you insane. This may be more trouble than it's worth if you're just going to be using a modeler to record direct anyway.

Hey guys,

Thanks heaps for the tips! I'll be taking it all on board.
This was literally uploaded a couple of days before I asked the question, so this shed a bit of light on the subject:
http://youtu.be/OWnYFRXHYgE

Thanks again!

')