Mic isolation help

• Thread starter zipline7020
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zipline7020

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have been working on my mixes for years, and Ive gotten to where Im happy with everything, except any instrument/vocals recorded with a condenser .

I live in an apartment, and its set up normally, the room I record in has air conditioning vents, carpet floors, etc.

and no matter WHAT I do, the room reflections are so horrible I cant record vocals of any kind. Ive tried foam on the walls, mic shields, all sorts of DIY solutions online, even built a foam cage around it, and still couldnt get a isolated/professional sound.

the only thing Ive seen work is drape a VERY thick blanket over myself and the mic entirely.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I dont feel like I should have to sing/play acoustic with a blanket over everyone involved. There has to be a way to isolate the microphone and not pick up every echo in the room.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have been working on my mixes for years, and Ive gotten to where Im happy with everything, except any instrument/vocals recorded with a condenser .

I live in an apartment, and its set up normally, the room I record in has air conditioning vents, carpet floors, etc.

and no matter WHAT I do, the room reflections are so horrible I cant record vocals of any kind. Ive tried foam on the walls, mic shields, all sorts of DIY solutions online, even built a foam cage around it, and still couldnt get a isolated/professional sound.

the only thing Ive seen work is drape a VERY thick blanket over myself and the mic entirely.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I dont feel like I should have to sing/play acoustic with a blanket over everyone involved. There has to be a way to isolate the microphone and not pick up every echo in the room.

Can you give us a rough layout of your apartment?

zipline7020

Reaction score
the room Im working in is about 14x16 feet with a 12 foot ceiling, its also the game room, so its got shelves and furniture on every wall as well as in the middle.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
1. Find a quieter space to record.
2. Use the thick drape as you described.
3. Use thick drapes or mats, like the one you described, to form a makeshift isolation booth around the subject and the mic. I've used boom stands and PVC pipes as frames to do this before.
4. Try using a different mic. Some large dynamics (z.B. Shure SM7B) can obtain a professional sound, yet don't capture quite as much noise.

zipline7020

Reaction score
actually that PVC booth is a great Idea,

Id have to do some engineering to get one I could regularly break down and rebuild. but definitely doable

')