Mic'd test

• Thread starter frajerik
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asilayamazing

Reaction score
sounds pretty good the guitar anyway to me, it sounds like you could turn your amp up a bit, placement sounds good is it mono? its a little thin, try recording 3 tracks one left 70-80% panned, same for right then one dead center. try lowering the two side track 1-4db's lower than the center. i did that the other day and it really "filled" up the space and thickened the sound.

but nice mic placement IMO :yesway:

Borges

Reaction score
Which amp did you use?

If you want a fatter sound use more gain.

IMO I think it would sound better if the mic was facing towards the center of the dust cap more, but then again it's all preference.

Enselmis

Reaction score
sounds pretty good the guitar anyway to me, it sounds like you could turn your amp up a bit, placement sounds good is it mono? its a little thin, try recording 3 tracks one left 70-80% panned, same for right then one dead center. try lowering the two side track 1-4db's lower than the center. i did that the other day and it really "filled" up the space and thickened the sound.

but nice mic placement IMO :yesway:

I have no idea what kind of sound you're going for but for anything clear or defined at all I find it very hard to believe that would help.

:nuts:

As the other dude said, try pointing the mic a bit more towards the cap, it'll give you a little more attack and bite which seems to be what this needs.

frajerik

Reaction score
Well, im using bugera 6262 + 212 orange cab. Mic was little offcenter and offaxis. And guitars 2 tracks - 100% left and right.

i will try move mic more to center and post here results.

Borges

Reaction score
Well, im using bugera 6262 + 212 orange cab. Mic was little offcenter and offaxis. And guitars 2 tracks - 100% left and right.

i will try move mic more to center and post here results.

Also what was your gain at? Sounded pretty low.

asilayamazing

Reaction score
I have no idea what kind of sound you're going for but for anything clear or defined at all I find it very hard to believe that would help.

:nuts:

As the other dude said, try pointing the mic a bit more towards the cap, it'll give you a little more attack and bite which seems to be what this needs.
IMO it needs to sound thicker, more "bite" isnt gonna make it thicker. AND really your telling me 3 guitar tracks cant be clear and defined.... why do people quad track....? most people agree more tracks = thicker(to a point) thats why everyone says "double track bro"

@OP: i wanna hear the difference, as ive been trying to get good mic'd sounds as well. ive been messing around with placement for days. :lol:

Also what was your gain at? Sounded pretty low.
agreed sounded like the volume was too low on the amp or could use a bit of gain... sounded like low volume though to me.

EDIT: also it seems if you have the tracks panned slightly overlapping ie. 70-80% it gets thicker and you can notice mistakes easier as well. i was reading something the other day about how 100% is horrible to do, but then again i read it on the internet. ive had other people listen and they always pick the "overlapping" rhythm tracks and say "it sounds better" FWIW.

Borges

Reaction score
IMO it needs to sound thicker, more "bite" isnt gonna make it thicker. AND really your telling me 3 guitar tracks cant be clear and defined.... why do people quad track....? most people agree more tracks = thicker(to a point) thats why everyone says "double track bro"

@OP: i wanna hear the difference, as ive been trying to get good mic'd sounds as well. ive been messing around with placement for days. :lol:

agreed sounded like the volume was too low on the amp or could use a bit of gain... sounded like low volume though to me.

EDIT: also it seems if you have the tracks panned slightly overlapping ie. 70-80% it gets thicker and you can notice mistakes easier as well. i was reading something the other day about how 100% is horrible to do, but then again i read it on the internet. ive had other people listen and they always pick the "overlapping" rhythm tracks and say "it sounds better" FWIW.

triple tracking usually isn't worth it I've tried panning L R and one in the center and it's not that much of a difference..just a volume increase. The work involved to triple track isn't worth the quality that's pretty much identical to double tracking.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
hey guys. yep i was recording at a little more than "bedroom" volume and gain set to 3,7-4.

i moved mic closer to center and here's result:
left 100% right 100% gain 6:
http://discovery.czechian.net/dafuq3hp.mp3

left 70/30 right 70/30 gain 6:
http://discovery.czechian.net/dafuq2.mp3

what do you think?

A lot more presence in this one which is a good thing since the first one lacked it.

The second link in your latest post sounds too centered so I'll give my vote for the first one (first one in the latest post that is).

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Which amp did you use?

IMO I think it would sound better if the mic was facing towards the center of the dust cap more, but then again it's all preference.

lulwut?

It's the opposite man... totally the opposite. Gain smooths things out, it doesn't fatten them up.

Borges

Reaction score
lulwut?

It's the opposite man... totally the opposite. Gain smooths things out, it doesn't fatten them up.

If I record my amp on 3-5 gain there's basically no low end thump in the tone from palm mutes, etc at all as an example. It sounds really dry and sounds like something is missing. On 6 gain if I palm mute notes there's much more *thump* and fuller sound than low gain..

You're right more gain does smooth things out but that's not what I was getting at :s. I could do a recording if you wanted as a better example.

asilayamazing

Reaction score

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
If I record my amp on 3-5 gain there's basically no low end thump in the tone from palm mutes, etc at all as an example. It sounds really dry and sounds like something is missing. On 6 gain if I palm mute notes there's much more *thump* and fuller sound than low gain..

You're right more gain does smooth things out but that's not what I was getting at :s. I could do a recording if you wanted as a better example.

What is the amp, and what guitar with it.

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score
AND really your telling me 3 guitar tracks cant be clear and defined.... why do people quad track....? most people agree more tracks = thicker(to a point) thats why everyone says "double track bro"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: oh this thread...

On-Topic: OP, Move it to the center and pick harder, it sounds like you're being too nice to the strings, if you really push them, the sound improves a lot, IMO this clip has a pretty decent tone so far, what's missing is the tone from your fingers :yesway:

Enselmis

Reaction score

There's a reason that typically you don't leave rhythm guitar tracks panned dead center. It pretty much just ends up obscuring the kick drum, snare and bass guitar which are all left in the middle. Having two guitars panned hard left and hard right and then two panned 80% and 80% has an entirely different effect than two of them panned 80 and one right down the middle. OP's post did not need to be fatter in any way shape or form, each guitar just needed more definition and attack. Listen to it and compare it to some other tone you like and I'm sure you'll be able to see that.

In response to your edit: Definitely do a little research before saying things like that. See if you can find something to back it up if you read it online. 100% panned double tracking is pretty much the standard because the goal is to create width in your mix. We listen to music in stereo for a reason and it makes the most sense to take advantage of that and not have two of the same instrument fighting each other for space in the middle.

asilayamazing

Reaction score
ok heres some ive read..
"Most modern metal mixes have 100% L and R panned guitars. When you quad track, the other two tracks, usually slightly darker sounding ones and somewhat quieter, are most often placed 75-85% L & R."
"I just had great results with two guitars with the same setup paned pretty hard left and right, and then a third down the middle with a higher midrange setting on the amps EQ. All three playing the same rhythm line. This was for a hardcore/grindcore band.""So i try to summarize what i think:
- for Richness sound : two take with different sound
- for a wall of "innatural" but powerfull" sound metal guitar: two identical take panned extereme
- for atomic metal sound: two identical take panned extereme - another two identical take but different sound from the first two take..."

I digress i still had good results.. and unless there is vocals i dont see why we are so worried about the middle... also im pretty sure 80-90% you still achieve solid separation with a little extra in the middle. i digress... i should just stop telling people to experiment and tell them to go do it like everyone else!

@op

hey guys. yep i was recording at a little more than "bedroom" volume and gain set to 3,7-4.

i moved mic closer to center and here's result:
left 100% right 100% gain 6:
http://discovery.czechian.net/dafuq3hp.mp3

left 70/30 right 70/30 gain 6:
http://discovery.czechian.net/dafuq2.mp3

what do you think?

try putting them all together :lol:

')