Michael Ammot joins Dean Guitars

• Thread starter sami
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
after all the dean thing, isn't this the worst moment to join them???

Would you care about what a company was up to if they were offering you loads of cash and free custom shop guitars? Those issues are problems Dean have to face not Michael Amott. He's all set on his end.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HammerAndSickle

Guitar Comrade
Reaction score
I dunno. I can't see why a company would pay you to get free gear and guitars, just because of promotion. I think the free gear, the signature models, playing the gear live, etc. certainly generate publicity for the brand. But I think that balances out the equation. It's symbiotic, they both benefit. So why does Dean give him free stuff, create his signature model, AND pay him for the publicity they both enjoy?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I dunno. I can't see why a company would pay you to get free gear and guitars, just because of promotion. I think the free gear, the signature models, playing the gear live, etc. certainly generate publicity for the brand. But I think that balances out the equation. It's symbiotic, they both benefit. So why does Dean give him free stuff, create his signature model, AND pay him for the publicity they both enjoy?

You don't have to see it but that's how it is. These are contracts where people get paid. Certainly lower level endorsers may only get discounts, limited promotion, and no free stuff/cash. Bigger names however are definitely getting a lot of cash from these companies in addition to free guitars/promotion.

M3RC1L3SS

....in' epiiiiiiic
Reaction score
This is exactly what I didn't want him to do. How do you go from an ESP to a Dean? Oh well, it was his choice, and apparently, he made the "right" decision.

Beardo

Reaction score
Because Caparison wouldn't pay him the most money. Guys, endorsement deals are rarely about what these guys like the most or what makes them 'happy'. It's about getting paid. You think Mick Thompson volunteered to play Ibanez? They pay him 6 figures. No reason to get worked up over it, it's just business :)

exactly! they pay him to promote their brand name so people will want to buy it.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
This is exactly what I didn't want him to do. How do you go from an ESP to a Dean? Oh well, it was his choice, and apparently, he made the "right" decision.

Have you ever played a USA Dean? They are fantastic. Of course, the inevitable Chinese-made cheapo sig model of his will suck, just like those 50,000 Dimebag variations, but it's not like Amott will be the one playing them...

ire_works

Djent ,Djent ,Djent
Reaction score
You think Mick Thompson volunteered to play Ibanez?

Well considering he was playing B.C. Rich guitars before ... i say its a step up.

But Amott is made of fail now. I should have known this would happen when i heard that bluesy riff screw up the song "The Great Darkness" on Rise of the Tyrant.

Bastard.

Seven

Contributor
Reaction score
Well considering he was playing B.C. Rich guitars before ... i say its a step up.

But Amott is made of fail now. I should have known this would happen when i heard that bluesy riff screw up the song "The Great Darkness" on Rise of the Tyrant.

Bastard.

They were handmade custom shop BC Rich's to his own specifications, if anything, it's a step down.

I'd go to Dean if they made me the best offer. Michael will be playing handmade USA Deans, nothing from China like we'll get as a sig model, it's a win/win for him.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Why....Why?:noway::(

His ESPs were so cool.

I feel like unleashing the fucking fury upon reading about the switch Dean.....:scream:
Too bad I don't actually have any Yngwie albums made after the 80s to actually do that though:lol:

sami

porkshop sammiches
Reaction score
image.php

DEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAANNNN!!!

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Why....Why?:noway::(

His ESPs were so cool.

That's honestly my only gripe about him going to Dean. The ESP/LTD Ninjas were such cool guitars. Especially the new ones they had just released with the beautiful tops!

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Sorry I have to say, but in all honesty I know I'd rather play guitars I like and love rather than jumping from company to company. And he's changed companies a fair amount now, it's looking a lot like the mustaine way of changing all the time.

But, whatever really, it's all about chrisopher amott!

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't understand why this surprises anyone at this point - all of these guys play the guitars that give them best deal, not because they "like" them any better.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
I agree with 7 Dying Trees. I'd want to play the equipment I love and am comfortable with rather then get some extra $. A guitar you "connect" with is much more inspiring and to me is easier to play. When I see people jump from company to company, they lose credibility in my eyes. To me it makes them look like a whore chasing the dollar.

I'm a digital artist myself and why "Painter" is amazing program and alot of people do incredible stuff with it I'm just more comfortable with "Photoshop". :)

Seven

Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with 7 Dying Trees. I'd want to play the equipment I love and am comfortable with rather then get some extra $. A guitar you "connect" with is much more inspiring and to me is easier to play. When I see people jump from company to company, they lose credibility in my eyes. To me it makes them look like a whore chasing the dollar.

I'm a digital artist myself and why "Painter" is amazing program and alot of people do incredible stuff with it I'm just more comfortable with "Photoshop". :)

I'd be the opposite I think. Obviously I like nice guitars, but I only see it as a tool for my music. As long as it looks and sounds good i'm OK with it, I couldn't care less if it was MII, MIC, USA whatever, I just want it to be consistant and stay in tune. I'm usually reluctant to spend money on set-ups to because I can live with it usually, unless it's terribly intonated or something of course.

So maybe an extra few 0's on the end of the number on my cheques would interest some people more than a guitar to connect with. And also with these guys touring so much getting attached to a guitar would be difficult, what with them getting broken alot, and also stolen.

Reaction score
I'm sure this will be the first of many brand changes for Michael.. it seems like that's the popular thing these days: hop from one company to the next every couple years with people throwing sig models and cash at you.

Jim Root for instance: he has played and endorsed/promoted guitars from Jackson, B.C.Rich, Paul Reed Smith, Maverick, Gibson, Charvel, and Fender...
its crazy :nuts:

')