Michael Romeo just released his first single for his solo album, "Black."

Xiphos68

Reaction score

I'll admit, I didn't expect Romeo to have singing but the singer sounds great and of course Romeo is nothing short of exception.

It honestly sounds like a track that should have been on Paradise Lost which I why kind of wish Russell was singing it. :lol:
I am loving all the Orchestra parts which is what I figured his solo album would be like.

I cannot wait to hear the rest of it and I am hoping he did some crazy instrumental tracks. Loving his production and guitar sound.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/sy...romeo-to-release-war-of-the-worlds-solo-album

Vocalist: Rick Castellano
Bass: John “JD” DeServio
Drums: John Macaluso.

War Of The Worlds Pt. 1 is said to pay homage to “film score giants Bernard Hermann and John Williams” and will also features EDM/dubstep elements.

Romeo explains: “It’s me putting all the things I love about music in a blender. Somebody might listen to it and say, ‘What is this guy thinking?’ But it's all about being creative and having a good time with it.

“My fans might think I’ve lost my mind on this one!”

Romeo and bassist DeServio went to the same high school, with the guitarist revealing that they had always wanted to record together.

Romeo adds: “This was the perfect opportunity. The planets finally aligned, and we were able to work together. It was great to have him play on it.”

The guitarist says that part two of the album is “already finished” and adds: “It just needs a few vocals, a couple of solos and a few tweaks here and there.

“I want people to absorb the first one for a while, and then we’ll put out the second record. They’ll complement each other, but they’ll also be a bit different.”

To mark the album announcement, Romeo has launched a lyric video for Black which can be found below.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Was not expecting this!

I love Romeo's playing. Somehow he flies under a lot of people's radar, but he's a monster player. Some of the most impressive chops, and cleanest playing. I saw Symphony X on their last tour and he was pretty much flawless live, too.

This sounds like one of the more forgettable songs on Paradise Lost/Iconoclast. That's not to say it's bad, it has good hooks, good riffs, just nothing that really grabs me. However, this is only one song. Definitely excited to check out the rest of the album!

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Also, the album has a track called "F*cking Robotos" :lol:.

+100 cool points

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Had heard nothing about this until now. Love the mix on this! Drums and bass are present and gritty, but not too much. Guitar was everything I'd expect from Romeo, which is nothing short of perfection... is that a Digitech Whammy at the end of the solo??
Hmm...sounds like Symphony X, but with a more nümetally vocalist. The bridge/middle of the song, in particular, sounds just like Symphony X.

I mean, I could say that this isn't really anything new or different from him, but then, since he's already at the apex of progressive symphonic metal, where does he have to go from there? I dig this.

Dyingsea

Reaction score
I mean, I could say that this isn't really anything new or different from him, but then, since he's already at the apex of progressive symphonic metal, where does he have to go from there? I dig this.

Kind of agreed it's definitely pure Romeo in his playing but he's also completely unique in his style. His tapping lines are always superb and his neoclassical influences are always so tasty without constantly feeling re-hashed.

Avedas

Reaction score
I haven't followed Symphony X for a good 10 years or so. Not what I would have expected from Romeo but fun track and great mix.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Sounds like Romeo. I'm not a big enough symphony X fan to want something different so his works for me. Dude has such a recognisable style in his riffs and finger tone to his solos.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I haven't followed Symphony X for a good 10 years or so. Not what I would have expected from Romeo but fun track and great mix.

You are only about an album or so behind - the cat is a slooooooowwwww worker.

Duosphere

(oYo) Lover
Reaction score
What is the purpose of releasing something that already sounds like your own band?
To me that song sounds like Symphony X, even the singer has the same type of vocal.
Maybe this is Symphony X B-side lol
All I wanted was an instrumental album, we have too many singers already ;)

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
This is great! Obviously not a criticism, but you can hear how much the vocal lines sound like Russell Allen's performances on the more recent Symphony X albums, which sort of throws your ear off for a second when his distinctive voice isn't belting those melodies. But I can see why Romeo wouldn't want this to turn into a Symphony X record if it's supposed to be a solo album, and thus the lineup changes.

Either way, definitely looking forward to this release. Symphony X is supposedly writing their new album now, which makes me wonder what Romeo has planned. If Parts 1 and 2 are completed for the solo album, I reckon he's had it written and finished for some time now. Would like to see them do another proper concept album (Underworld was only loosely conceptual), but that's probably asking a lot. I've been a big fan of their new albums regardless!

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if this was supposed to be a Symphony X album.

Maybe Russ is still recovering from all that horrible stuff that happened to him with Adrenaline Mob and just wasn't ready to commit to a new album just yet.

That's what this kind of feels like - a new Symphony X album that Romeo didn't want to sit on any longer, so he just got some other guys together to record and release it as a solo album.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if this was supposed to be a Symphony X album.

Maybe Russ is still recovering from all that horrible stuff that happened to him with Adrenaline Mob and just wasn't ready to commit to a new album just yet.

That's what this kind of feels like - a new Symphony X album that Romeo didn't want to sit on any longer, so he just got some other guys together to record and release it as a solo album.

Yeah, there's a lot going on there, I bet. Russell Allen might even be of some interest to TSO in the next year or so, since his guest appearances with them were a hit, but there's a lot going on with that, too, on both sides of the equation. Whatever the case, I could see multiple reasons why he might hesitate to get back into the studio with Symphony X, including the fact that he's appeared to have gotten bigger than them in many ways, and I don't mean that to say that he has an ego or anything like that. When I met the band ages ago, they were all the most down-to-earth guys, and it seemed almost like I had known them for years. Anyway, like I started out saying, there's just a lot going on with these guys, so getting them all in a room together at the same time might be a bit of a feat.

Romeo and Pinnella really started Symphony X from a solo album anyway, but, in this case, I'm guessing Pinnella has been replaced by a sequencer. I'm always happy to see talented musicians branch out, even if they're playing the same sort of thing with new people. I'd really hate to see anything happen to Symphony X, but between knife-juggling accidents, heart disease, and side-projects rife with tragedies, I'm fine with them taking a break. These are real hard-working folks and need time to decompress.

')