Mick Thompson using the new Ibanez X Series

• Thread starter maliciousteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
He's one of the few people that can hold an extreme shape and not look ridiculous.Dude's huge

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
it's got the same kind of vibe as his old BC Rich days, but it looks nicer to my eyes.

also, i didn't know they were back in action, never really heard anything about it after Paul died. I remember them talking about quitting it if any one of them ever died or anything like that, but apparently they realized they were wrong?

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Apparently this tour they just done for Sonisphere was kind of a 'test' to see how they would cope and if it didn't go well they would end it. But going by their performance and some of the guys attitudes it looks like they may continue.

stevo1

ClearTrack Studios
Reaction score
They got a new bassist and everything. They got one of the old guitar players to play, so they could keep it inside of there family. But yeah, there back pretty much.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Glaive just keeps growing on me. I'd never buy one, but they're starting to look better to me. Though, I have been looking at the old X-Series (before it was officially the X-Series) catalogs, so I guess I can see where it fits in better.

mountainjam

Reaction score
I heard they were going to keep playing no matter what, corey is the only one who isnt sure.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
The Glaive just keeps growing on me. I'd never buy one, but they're starting to look better to me. Though, I have been looking at the old X-Series (before it was officially the X-Series) catalogs, so I guess I can see where it fits in better.

I'm gonna have to agree with this. Of all the new 2011 X series, this one took the longest to get used to. Now I'm liking it more than the Falchion.

And it looks much better in white than black:

XG300_SWW_27_01.png

nojyeloot

Reaction score
Didn't like this guitar when I first saw it, but it's definitely growing on me.

Liked the vid to. Couldn't hear Joey much though :(

Gitte

Reaction score
i really dig jim roots new fender! the ibanez isnt doing anything for me.. but this.. :)

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
I still think it's one of the ugliest things to come from Ibanez since the series with the guitars made out of that weird material with all the brick- and beehive-inlays.

When I first saw Suicmez with the Xiphos I considered it to be daring shape for Ibanez who delivers the most attractive superstrats (IMO) on the market. But the new X-series are a real downer for me. Especially the Falchion. Looks like a Xiphos with authism.

welsh_7stinger

7=best number
Reaction score
when i saw mick with the X-series it really had my hopes up that he'd gone back to bc rich (i was there last night). but then i rememberd the x series (ibanez hopping on the bandwagon bc rich started). this one guitar imo is just a bc rich rip off. ibanez=fail

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I still think it's one of the ugliest things to come from Ibanez since the series with the guitars made out of that weird material with all the brick- and beehive-inlays.

When I first saw Suicmez with the Xiphos I considered it to be daring shape for Ibanez who delivers the most attractive superstrats (IMO) on the market. But the new X-series are a real downer for me. Especially the Falchion. Looks like a Xiphos with authism.

when i saw mick with the X-series it really had my hopes up that he'd gone back to bc rich (i was there last night). but then i rememberd the x series (ibanez hopping on the bandwagon bc rich started). this one guitar imo is just a bc rich rip off. ibanez=fail

Back in the day Ibanez did a LOT of pointy guitars, this is nothing new, just something guys in thier 20's probably just don't remember. :lol:

In fact, Ibanez was doing a lot of thier most radical shapes in the late 80's and early 90's, around the same time B.C. Rich was.

Strobe

Reaction score
I like it - but I should mention that the Rhoads is my favorite guitar shape - so I am a fan of pointy guitars in general. That said, I am a tall dude (6'4" or 193 cm for you metric types), and the tiny Rhoads body can sometimes look a bit silly on me.

That said, no one makes fun of me for it, because which one of us is holding the guitar you can impale someone with, am I right? :lol:

jl-austin

Reaction score
Not a fan of the Ibanez, but the Fender looks cool, I would consider buying one of those.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Hmm, I could not see the new bassist at all in that, that Ibanez is horrendous too, it's way too big and unless you are a mountain of a man it will look even more hilariously out of proportion.

It's very similar to the Bc Rich Beast, another large pointy guitar that was just a bit too big - Bc caught on and released a smaller bodied model.

Fair play to Bc Rich too, for keeping these extreme shapes going. Ibanez might be getting back into the market of extreme shapes for metal players, but Bc held onto their heritage models even when the general opinion became that extreme shapes were "too much".

The Xiphos was a great move from Ibanez, I'm not sure these new shapes really capture the brilliance of the Xiphos.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I actually like the Falchion better than the Xiphos. the other ones are very "meh", though.
I think I have a pic from hellfest of someone playing the other one (the glaive ?) if I can find it back, it was possibly scrapped.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Hmm, I could not see the new bassist at all in that, that Ibanez is horrendous too, it's way too big and unless you are a mountain of a man it will look even more hilariously out of proportion.

It's very similar to the Bc Rich Beast, another large pointy guitar that was just a bit too big - Bc caught on and released a smaller bodied model.

Fair play to Bc Rich too, for keeping these extreme shapes going. Ibanez might be getting back into the market of extreme shapes for metal players, but Bc held onto their heritage models even when the general opinion became that extreme shapes were "too much".

The Xiphos was a great move from Ibanez, I'm not sure these new shapes really capture the brilliance of the Xiphos.

Off stage bassist :/

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Back in the day Ibanez did a LOT of pointy guitars, this is nothing new, just something guys in thier 20's probably just don't remember. :lol:

In fact, Ibanez was doing a lot of thier most radical shapes in the late 80's and early 90's, around the same time B.C. Rich was.

This.

ibanez-xv500-2_small.jpg
ibanez-dt250_small.jpg
ibanez-pl1660-red-sm.jpg
ibanez-xing2010_small.jpg

ibanez-xing2010_small.jpg
ibanez-axstar_small.jpg
ibanez-qr-s.jpg
ibanez-rvx220-sm.jpg

Each of these models existed before the Xiphos. I'm pretty sure there's a few more I've missed too. All of the above except for the can-opener V have been around the late 80s/early 90s.

')