Microgenrefication...

• Thread starter bostjan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of all of these genres?

• I hate genres, music is music.

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Some genre classification is good, Pop/Rock, Rap, Classical- so I can narrow down my choices.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • Rock is too broad, there needs to be Death Metal, Thrash Metal, Surf Rock, etc.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • There are not too many genres.

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
In the beginning there was music. And music was good, so the music spread and evolved. People started using music for different purposes and thus genres were created. For the last 30 year or more, genres have split into subgenres and then subgenres have split, and at the same time, genres started mingling into each other.

Some people say that classifying music into genres is useless and confusing, others say it is important to know what to expect.

At any rate, genres have gone out of control IMO. - Doom Metal, Stoner Metal, Ethnometal, Circus Metal, etc etc... good grief, where does it end?

On the other hand, if people ask you what kind of music you play, what do you tell them?

Do you think people should do away with genre or assert some sort of limits? Post your thoughts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I welcome all styles of music, if there is music that I don't like, I still respect it, doesn't matter what genre it is. I don't think it'll ever stop though, music flows on and people are getting more creative with music so.........maybe one day though....

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
circus metal? :lol:

yeah. i voted #2. some classification is good, but there are greats everywhere, and there is also crap everywhere, so, what are ya gonna do? :)

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Let me clarify- I meant "What do you think of the classification into so many genres?" Not "What do you think of all of this new music?" In all of the wordiness, I kind of lost clarity. Post whatever comes to mind, though. :)

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
some classification is nice I guess, but I agree it could get to be too much like Circus metal :lol: what is circus metal anyway? I've never heard of it.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Circus Metal is guys like Mr. Bungle, Estradasphere, Secret Chefs 3...

I'd rather just say it's metal, or maybe weird metal. :lol:

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
"Rock is too broad, there needs to be Death Metal, Thrash Metal, Surf Rock, etc."

I think subgenres are useful, but it does get out of control. At one point, they were calling the metalcore bands, "technical" metal, just because they alt picked fast. That just sounds ignorant.

bostjan said:
Circus Metal is guys like Mr. Bungle, Estradasphere, Secret Chefs 3...

I'd rather just say it's metal, or maybe weird metal. :lol:
:lol: Ahhhh Mr Bungle is just weird metal lol.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
You see, Im a fan of Mr. Bungle but I would've never have thought circus metal if anybody asked me to describe their style and music....weird but cool I'd say so maybe circus metal fits it. I would've thought sick and twisted metal or something. :lol:

By the way, one of my favorite bands -Candiria what would you classify them as?

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
Shawn said:
You see, Im a fan of Mr. Bungle but I would've never have thought circus metal if anybody asked me to describe their style and music....weird but cool I'd say so maybe circus metal fits it. I would've thought sick and twisted metal or something. :lol:

They are wayyy broad.

For them, you can say: jazz, rap, and heavy metal all in one.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
nyck said:
For them, you can say: jazz, rap, and heavy metal all in one.

Exactly. Just like 311 which im also a fan of, I call reggae, a little jazz, rap, metal and alternative too.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Shawn said:

Candiria sounds like modern rock. I haven't heard much from them, though.

If you like Bungle, you should give Estradasphere a shot. They aren't really very similar other than being odd, but they exhibit some serious musicianship.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
bostjan said:
If you like Bungle, you should give Estradasphere a shot. They aren't really very similar other than being odd, but they exhibit some serious musicianship.
I'll have to check them out then. :agreed:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Picked #3. So i say i like metal. do i like Cannibal Corpse or HammerFall?
I like having subgenres of metal. (Rock or whatever). Granted, i like just about every kind of heavy metal you can imagine (Except "Nu metal", and most popular bands that are tagged "metal" like Korn, Limp Bizkit, Marilyn Mansion, etc.). I just like to know what i'm getting. If i see "Grind" I know its gonna sound like Pig Destroyer, not Sepultura or Sonata Arctica.

For the most part, i like to differentiate rock from metal. I don't really like regular "rock music" that much, unless its some classic rock type stuff.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is an issue that drives me nuts, as it's mostly a marketing thing. Then again, genrefying (is that a word? :lol: ) everything does help sort through the huge glut of music out there - but I wonder how many people have missed out on something awesome because it's not in their narrow genre?

anarchistwar

Reaction score
when i start to read that a band pioneered a genre and it's the only band listed under the genre then you know this genre thing is getting insane...............(even if it's 2 or 3 bands still common)

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
I believe for the most part that metal is metal. Rap is Crap. Blues is blues, etc...

I tell people that I play metal, because that's what I play. What subgenre??? who gives a rat's backside?!?! Although I have been known to seperate Death metal from the whole metal umbrella, not sure why:hbang:

')