Microphone problem

• Thread starter dynamitr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dynamitr

Reaction score
I was trying to record a rough demo for my powerpop happy no djent band. and i recorded my guitars with a sm57. as i have never done this before the guitars sound like there is a brick wall between the microphone and the cabinet --> http://soundcloud.com/user8898927/untitled
when i fiddle around with my line 6 ux1 for 5 minutes the guitars already sound like they are "closer" or something like that-->http://soundcloud.com/user8898927/nobodys-gonna-stop-us
what can i do to make the guitars sound more in your face ?
(i fail at english so sorry)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Munk

Reaction score
A couple of things come to mind....

1)Experiment with different mics and placements.
2)Try running a second line off your direct out to a second recording channel while recording your mic'ed track. Then you can blend the two tracks together.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
How big is your room, it sounds really small and dead? :scratch: You could try different amp positioning (like 45 deg. in a corner, a bit away from the wall) and dual mic'ing with something like a 421 to get more "space" into it. I think your mic positioning might be bad as well. Find the location and dial in the tone through headphones... even leave the room if you have to. :cool: What sounds good coming out of the amp standing next to it, doesn't usually sound great in a mix. Keep that in mind. Also, check your mixes with at least a high and low pass on it, if not a little shelving and notching in the infamous sweet spots too... Sometimes amp settings with dreaded fizz and/or woof are getting all the right freq's out to the mic (and then some) and the ugly part of it just needs too nicked at the console/box. :yesway:

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Put some more mids in there to liven it up ( about 4k), and you'll be SHOCKED how dual tracking guitars will make such a large difference.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
I dont think it sounds all that bad. Put some drums and bass in there and you'll have a decent recording.

I do agree with the MIDS suggestion. Just experiment.

Splees

splees
Reaction score
you have a lot of room sound going on in there. try moving the mic closer to the the cone. Also cover the cab and mic with a couple heavy blankets to cut out all the room.

tone sounds good though. throw on a high pass filter and you'll be good to go.

')