Microphone sounds distorted when yelling

Prodigix

Reaction score
I am using a Rode NT1a to record vocals. I have 2 pop filters in front of it, and the input volume is set low, but when I yell into it, it sounds distorted (and I don't even increase the volume) The sound is real fuzzy, even when I record it on a low volume it still sounds a little distorted. Can someone please help me with this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Elchimpy

Reaction score
Are you talking about it clipping in your input stage? you probably just need to slap an input pad on it.

Prodigix

Reaction score
Are you talking about it clipping in your input stage? you probably just need to slap an input pad on it.

If I buy a pad and put it between my mic and audio interface (which provides phantom power) will that stop the clipping

tedtan

Reaction score
Not to sound like a smart ass, but try not yelling into the mic. Either lower your volume while screaming or step back like Narrillnezzurh mentioned.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yep stand back.
A pad wont help as that is to stop preamps that can't be turned down low enough. You're not clipping at the preamp.

Latest posts

')