Might sell orange rockerverb 100 mkii for Marshall jvm 410h; good idea or bad?

• Thread starter Shift
  • Start date
  • Tags
    orange
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shift

Ethereal Creator
Reaction score
So Ive had this orange for about a year now, and I'm constantly finding that it doesn't have enough gain and attack for me. I've been reading up on some different heads and it's come down to the Marshall jvm 410h

Ive read mixed reviews on this. Some people say it has the best tone on the market, and some say that it hisses like a b*tch.

I intend to go to my local guitar center and check one out.

I play mostly metalcore-ish stuff but with djent and some technical stuff mixed in. My question is is selling my orange a good idea or am I just gonna end up with a hissy botchy amp head that I'll just end up selling too.

My rig consists of a epiphone les Paul custom w/ emgs, and carvin dc727 is on the way. Currently I have a mic'd orange ppc412 hooked into reaper

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Well, the good thing about it is that it's Marshall's highest gain head.

The bad news it's noisy. As. Fuck. So, noise gate it if you have a chance to try it.

If you don't need the versatility, check out the Marshall JVM210. It has the clean/crunch channel and the OD2 channel of the JVM410 and is usually cheaper.

Shift

Ethereal Creator
Reaction score
Yeah I'll probably look into the jvm 210 as I'm mostly doing studio work right now

Shift

Ethereal Creator
Reaction score
I've always been kind of wary of mesas. I've never really played any mesas but I've known a few dudes who say that they get sick of them really quickly, although I would probably like them if I tried them

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I haven't seen much hate for the MKV. They seemed to be the most loved out of all the Mesa amps.

Shift

Ethereal Creator
Reaction score
Yeah I've also been interested in the bogner überschall and I've been wondering
If anyone here has had any experience with them

Reaction score
So Ive had this orange for about a year now, and I'm constantly finding that it doesn't have enough gain and attack for me. I've been reading up on some different heads and it's come down to the Marshall jvm 410h

Ive read mixed reviews on this. Some people say it has the best tone on the market, and some say that it hisses like a b*tch.

I intend to go to my local guitar center and check one out.

I play mostly metalcore-ish stuff but with djent and some technical stuff mixed in. My question is is selling my orange a good idea or am I just gonna end up with a hissy botchy amp head that I'll just end up selling too.

My rig consists of a epiphone les Paul custom w/ emgs, and carvin dc727 is on the way. Currently I have a mic'd orange ppc412 hooked into reaper

The only Marshall head you should be getting is something vintage or a Kerry King model with the built in gate. My personal feeling is the JVM 410 is way overkill for you. I spent at least an hour fooling around with one and its too complicated. Not intuitive at all. If you're open minded though get a Peavey 6505+ instead. Get a G-String and a Tube Screamer, perhaps a Keeley 4 knob if thats your thing and you're done.

Shift

Ethereal Creator
Reaction score
I've actually been pretty exited about all the eq options the Marshall has.
In fact its one of the reasons I want the 410h in the first place

The Scenic View

Reaction score
I've had the opportunity to try both the Marshall JVM210H and the Mesa Mark V, and I'll have to give it to the Mark V. I do the whole djent thing with my band and the Mark cuts through way more than our other guitarist's rig, and sounds way better. I even put it up to my friend's 210H and It slayed it in versatility, ease of use, and tone. Maybe I'm just not a Marshall guy, but the Marshall always got lost in the mix, both live and at jams. The Marshall also had this weird "blanket over the amp" tone to my ears which could never get eq'd out. The Mesa can be pretty in your face, but that all depends on how you eq the amp, multi watt, pentode/triode, full/variac power, graphic eq... The cleans on the Mesa also sounded phenomenal in comparison to the Marshall, along with channel 2 (whatever that relates to on a 210h), and 3. I'll also throw in that I got the chance this summer to hear some Rockerverbs live and they sounded great (mind you they were boosted).

Sorry if that was biased, I just wanted to throw in my full experience with the heads. My Mark V also runs into a v30 loaded cab and it floors. Sound guys and lots of local musicians come up to me after shows and always complement me on my tone. All in all I would recommend the Mark V over the 210H, just for the above reasons and more. Mesa's customer support is top notch, just email or call them about anything and you'll have a quick and very informative response. Or even try a boost infront of your current rig and eq accordingly. Hope this helps! Feel free to pm me with questions!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Really? Marshalls are VERY mid-heavy amps and something would have to be dialed in wrong or be used with a shitty cab to not cut through.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
He was using the standard 1960 with t-75s and he had his mids pretty high up on the amp, and the treble, bass, and presence were up where the amp would normally sound like it wouldn't have the "blanket over the amp" tone.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
He was using the standard 1960 with t-75s and he had his mids pretty high up on the amp, and the treble, bass, and presence were up where the amp would normally sound like it wouldn't have the "blanket over the amp" tone.

Use a different cab. From what I can gather, modern Marshalls don't like T75s for modern stuff. I bet if you used a V30-loaded cab, you'll get some better tones.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
I know he has a PPC412 now along with the 1960, so I'll ask him if he's messed around with the Marshall on it.

LukeNecraG

Necrabeast
Reaction score
I thought the JVM through an MF cab (with V30s) was pretty sweet. Although that wasn't very loud. I can definetly see it doing metalcore.
I used a Recto live once and even though I didn't have time to play around with it, I think I wouldve got bored too.
6505 is the obvious metalcore choice but you risk sounding like other guys using it and may miss all the options the JVM has. Perhaps a 3120?

Otherwise you could invest in some good pedals. An overdrive and EQ could get your Orange where you want it for cheaper than another head.

Shift

Ethereal Creator
Reaction score
Yeah I'm going to look into some maxons. Ola got a pretty tight tone with one on an orange
And I've always been interested in the peavey but I like being able to do really shimmering ambient tones on the clean channel without much breakup at high outputs

If I go with the Marshall ill probably rebias it to 70and see how that goes.
It seems a lot of people end up not liking the Marshall because of the factory bias being very "cold"

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
I play a Rockerverb 50 through a PPC412 in my deathcore(ish) band, and it was good but not great. I ended up getting a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive and that tightened it up a ton, helped with the gain too. I swear by that pedal. I also ended up getting an e530 and running it into the 6V6 power section. I've had a hard time finding a power section that I like more than the 6V6s, that said I still need to play with some KT88s. Bottom line, I would never sell my Orange, it's way to versatile with the right mix of toys.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
You're better off with a TS of any kind and a DSL than with a JVM 410h I'd say. The JVM is Marshall's current flagship and therefore a bit overpriced, I think only the satriani head is more expensive and then it's just a variant. (Barring limited edition stuff)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I've always been kind of wary of mesas. I've never really played any mesas but I've known a few dudes who say that they get sick of them really quickly, although I would probably like them if I tried them

Then they get sick of them quickly. That tells you nothing about your own preferences when it comes to those amps.

Go to your local shops, spend hours. Show them some cash so they know you're serious, but spend ours.

Shift

Ethereal Creator
Reaction score
Then they get sick of them quickly. That tells you nothing about your own preferences when it comes to those amps.

Go to your local shops, spend hours. Show them some cash so they know you're serious, but spend ours.

Haha yeah I tried a mark v and a triple rectifier, and I liked what I heard,
But like that one guy said, the orange is really versatile with different pedals and what not. I'm going to try out some different od's for a while and see how that goes. Way easier than selling it.

')