Mikael Åkerfeldt Masterclass Lesson and Guitar Rig Video!

• Thread starter GuitarMessenger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarMessenger

Reaction score
Hey guys, there's a new Masterclass with Mikael up at Guitar Messenger.

Go to -= Guitar Messenger =- | Online Music Magazine and then click on the LESSONS section.

Mikael talks about his chord and soloing techniques and demonstrates how to play a number of Opeth songs. Also, Opeth's guitar tech walks us through his guitar rig!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Battousai

Proud SSorg member
Reaction score
holy fucking shit... his live tone all comes out of the GT8???? FUCK!! didnt expect that..

FYP666

Kick The Gates Open
Reaction score
Great stuff! :yesway:

When he shows the riff to Hex Omega, and he fucks up a little, he was like 'sorry'. Wtf :lol:

All hail Mikael :hbang:

intereo_luuk

Reaction score
holy fucking shit... his live tone all comes out of the GT8???? FUCK!! didnt expect that..

Heard that before!.. I saw them last Saturday.. And their tone was freakin' TERRIBLE :wallbash:.. Damn you could't here a single note at the distortion parts with growling..

But hey, they switched to marshalls :fawk:

B Lopez

Vescere bracis meis.
Reaction score
This actually makes me enjoy playing guitar again. :woohoo:

Sometimes I forget how damn amazing the acoustic/clean toned Opeth is.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score

I dunno, Boss' shit always seems to come to mind as really great delay (and chorus, which they also do well) units, even if you pass on the rest of the effects. The delays just have a vibe to them... Devin Townsend has used a GP-100 for eons now for all his delay/ambiance stuff. :shrug:

chaztrip

Seeking not Found
Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

that so funny when they use the guys finger as a capo!!! :)

blackout

Reaction score
Bloody hell, quite surprised about that GT8, I woulda thought laneys could handle opeths style far better on their own.

Will watch the lesson when i'm not half asleep. Cheers for the heads up

the.godfather

Mr. Flibble
Reaction score
Really enjoyed the videos, thanks! :yesway:

His rig is pretty simple, which is nice. Must be pretty reliable without having to rely on tonnes of rack mount stuff. I was a little suprised by the GT-8 thing as well actually. He's basically fully relying on the GT-8 for his tone. The Laney's just power it all.

His chordal phrasing/ideas are awesome.

')