Mike Portnoy Dream Theater Reunion

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InHiding

Reaction score
Moore is doing his own thing at Patreon right now. He's prob quite happy with that.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Moore is doing his own thing at Patreon right now. He's prob quite happy with that.

Pretty sure he would donate a nut to make what Dream Theater takes in on a tour compared to doing demos for donations on Patreon. And, I say that as a fan of his music both within and without DT.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Pretty sure he would donate a nut to make what Dream Theater takes in on a tour compared to doing demos for donations on Patreon. And, I say that as a fan of his music both within and without DT.

Well, that seems a little condescending considering Moore left DT when they were already a decent-sized band. Don't forget that they've never topped the billboard success they had with 'Pull me Under'. As it is, Moore has been invited back for one-off reunion shows and he's declined them every time. He left DT because of creative differences, not because he wanted to make more money as a solo artist. As per his wikipedia page:

"In 1994, the band released its third studio album, Awake, which was the band's highest charting album to date with Moore, reaching #32. The album featured Moore's signature song, a haunting piano-driven ballad called "Space-Dye Vest." Shortly before the album was mixed, though, Moore announced to the rest of the band that he wished to concentrate on his own musical interests and would be quitting Dream Theater. According to Portnoy, Moore became interested in the independence of working on his own as opposed to the compromise of a band environment. Although Dream Theater has since invited him to play reunion shows, Moore has said he prefers to move forward as opposed to looking back. He also declined to take part in the official Dream Theater biography titled Lifting Shadows"

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Call it condescending or call it brutally honest. When Moore left DT, there was still a viable recording industry. Creative differences or not, he decided to roll the dice and head elsewhere. Today, DT is one of the few progressive bands still moving product and able to tour extensively. You can try to frame it that he is happy doing his own thing, but Petrucci and the boys are richer now than they ever were with their Pull Me Under billboard success.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
According to Portnoy, Moore became interested in the independence of working on his own as opposed to the compromise of a band environment. "

Gotta ask what *compromise* means in that band - it seems like you either get a voice or you don't, and you have to live with that.

The Mirror

Reaction score
Gotta ask what *compromise* means in that band - it seems like you either get a voice or you don't, and you have to live with that.

Absolutely. And if you just look at K. Moores output (inside and outside DT) it is pretty obvious that he was headed in quite a different direction from the getgo.

Moore would have vanished in the powerhouse of Portnoy/Petrucci. Just look at Myung. He's one of the best bass players, period. Yet he is not much more than a session player for DT. And I am not even starting to talk about LaBrie (though he has his solowork, ofc).

I don't think for someone like Moore money is the most important aspect in his life.

That all said ("hipster" incoming) to me DT had its first "death" with Moore leaving. I still like much of the stuff after he left and consider some songs to be downright masterpieces (Blind Faith would be my first vote for my top 3 DT songs), but if it comes to the overall picture, nothing beats Images and Awake. No record comes even close to Awake for me and that is first and foremost because of Moores influence.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm also a KM fan. I always thought it was apparent that Kevin left the band to do his own unique thing and get away from the glitz of the band. For one, he has a more withdrawn personality, and two, he became a nomad, basically, after leaving the band, living well under his means. Some folks just don't care as much about fame and fortune.

InHiding

Reaction score
I thonk Kevin is a doctor these days, at least he was studying to become one.

')