Mike Portnoy Hate?!

Carrion

Et tu, Brute?
Reaction score
Now before I begin, I am no drummer and I am only a guitarist.

I noticed on a lot of Youtube videos a lot of hate directed towards Mike Portnoy. It seems it's a lot of elitists posting comments like "Shut the fuck up, you don't know anything, (______) drummer (Usually Neil Peart or Buddy Rich) is better. Now in my eyes Portnoy seems like a pretty good drummer but I am no drummer. I see a lot of people complaining about his dynamics and that's why _____ drummer is better.

Now SS.org, am I missing something or is this just general Youtube idiocracy/elitism?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't read youtube comments. They are idiots - Portnoy is great

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I know some people think he overplays, but I always enjoy listening to him. I'd ignore Youtube comments; they're invariably retarded.

Thomas

Stranger
Reaction score
I can't think of the last time I saw anything on YouTube that was worth reading. The intellectual level of the comments is so low it could make my eyes bleed.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd ignore Youtube comments; they're invariably retarded.

You tube posters are the bane of existence.

Portnoy is a very talented and unique drummer. Some compare him to Neil Pert, but they play completely diffrent. I think they get compared because of their status' in the prog rock world. Portnoy seems to be more articulate than Pert. And plus Pert is a complete BORE to watch play, as good as he is. No facial expressions EVER. I tried watching Pert's 3+ hour drum video 'A work in progress' and was falling asleep standing up! Great drummer, no flair.

Now as for Buddy rich, meh. He's all speed, which is only cool the first time you see him. Like that guitar player that plays like... 38npm or something like that. Cool the fist time, lame the rest.

Listen to Gene Krupa!!! Gene Krupa >>>>> Buddy Rich. :yesway:

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, he is accused of overplaying, but I seriously don't care. It's his style & I happen to really enjoy it. Plus, a majority of YouTube comments are mostly from bratty 14-year kids who think they have the entire world figured out. :rolleyes:
[action=Shannon]goes back to listening to the overplaying pleasures of Between The Buried And Me.[/action]

CasualFitzy

Reaction score
Mike Portnoy is a genius in my eyes. Aside from pretty much being called the architect for Dream Theater songs, he's insanely good at accenting and matching rhythms of what's going on with John/John/Jordan.

Reaction score
Well, on his instructional DVD he said that he really wanted to be something more to the music than a beat holder. That might be why some people think he overplays. I think its a good thing, and its not overplaying. In that case anything technical in a song is overplaying. :shrug:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Do you listen to the youtube comments that say "OMG you have read this comment, if you don't repost this in 13 1/2 days you're going to have bad luck for the next 24 years of your life!!!" too? :lol:

Fuck 'em, they don't know what they're talking about. Unless they post video proof of them being able to play what Mike does, and then do one BETTER they can blow it out their asses. Mike Portnoy is awesome as far as I'm concerned. :yesway:

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
"not bad. here is a better site for webcam girls" :lol: .
I've always been a fan of Portnoy's drumming. Nearly every youtube video has these stupid comments. You could be watching a clip of an amazing child prodigy or musician and there will be loads of comments like "kill yourself, you suck":noplease:

Nats

Reaction score
no wayz, travis barkers >>>>> Portnoy

-typical youtube response

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I can't think of the last time I saw anything on YouTube that was worth reading. The intellectual level of the comments is so low it could make my eyes bleed.

:agreed: That's why any time I've ever uploaded something to Youtube, I've disabled comments, ratings, and responses to the videos. The first time I uploaded a video, I forgot to do this and I got a bunch of assholeish comments.

I always regret it when I watch a youtube video and read the comments. If it's guitar snobbery, they'll claim that whoever their favorite guitarist is could play this piece better.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I can understand someone saying they don't like Portnoy's drumming. It's all a matter of style. But to say he's not a good drummer? That's ridiculous.

BigM555

I SS.org Salute You!
Contributor
Reaction score
People that have to play the "X is better than Y" game are immature (and that's being generous).

Portony is a great drummer, pretty decent song writer, he seems to be a workaholic, he is a founding father of one of today's most enduring prog/metal bands. I guess it's par for the course that some would be jealous.

You don't necessarily have to like his music, his style, or hell, his personality for that matter, but do dis-respect some one with his talents?? :nono:

I've seen DT live several times and what I really like about Portnoy is how effortless he makes it all look. During a live show he's always twirling sticks, prompting the crowd, giving cues, smiling, and just generally having a good time. :yesway:

That's my kind of guy.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah... success is the surest way to gather enemies. :rolleyes:

Portnoy is great, no question. I personally prefer Peart, Morgan Rose, and Jeff Pocaro, but that's all preference... has no bearing on how GOOD anyone is. Hell, I think Phil Rudd is one of the best drummers ever! :bowdown:

Mike Portnoy is talented, driven, and deserves all the success he's gotten. 'Nuff said.

Latest posts

')