Minimalist setup for practicing/recording

• Thread starter progmetalhead
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Forum goers,

Before I begin, I'd like to say 'thank you' to anyone who takes the time provide their insight.

I'm interested in putting together a small bedroom setup. I want the setup to have the following properties: (1) allow me to practice at low (apartment-level) volumes, (2) allow me record reasonably good sounding guitar parts, and (3) be small, compact, and easy-to-move.

Allow me to discuss tone for a moment, as it is germane to points (1) and (2). First of all, it doesn't need to perfect. If and when I every finish enough songs to fill an album, I plan on hiring a professional producer/recording studio to help me record my songs. Second, versatility isn't that important to me. I'm pretty one-dimensional in the tone I want. I actually have an Axe-FX 2 right now, which I plan on selling. I'm selling it because rack units are way too big for my tastes (see point 3) and I only utilize, no joke, less than 0.1% of the unit's potential. I just basically leave it on Mesa/Boogie rectifier channel at all times. Essentially every band I listened to since high school many years ago (e.g. Soundgarden and Alice in Chains) to now (e.g. Andromeda, To-mera, Liquid Tension Experiment, and other melodic progressive metal acts) rely heavily on rectifier or other tube-driven tones. I'd like to replicate that as much as possible, but it may be problematic given points 1 and 3. With respect to effects, a nice reverb for lead playing is sufficient.

Just to get an idea of the types of distortion tone I like, here is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7BFYYI9vm4

Point (3) is especially critical. I am a minimalist by nature and abhor owning "stuff". (Just to drive the point home, the last time I moved, it wasn't necessary to get boxes, or even a box; I just put my few possessions in the back seat and trunk of my car.) Certainly, a gigantic tube amplifier is out of the question given my OCD.

So, now comes the question of what gear to use. One option would be to get a small solid state amp that I could direct record with through an audio interface into my computer. That being said, based on the small bit of research I've done on the topic, it doesn't look like much progress has been made on the solid-state front in a while. I used to own a Line 6 once upon a time, and the distortion sounded like fizz, which I'd like to avoid if possible.

Another option would be to get a smaller pre-amp than what I have now, such as the Amplifire, and play through (an audio interface to) my computer speakers. Although, again, the pre-amp's capabilities would be largely wasted on me. I wouldn't be averse to more basic distortion and reverb pedals, provided they sufficiently satisfied my aforementioned wants.

Maybe there are other options that are really cool I don't even know about.

Anyways, I think a simple audio interface (compatible with Mac/Logic) is a must, I guess. As for the rest, I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks a mill.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I highly recommend a used Tech 21 Trademark 10 or Tech 21 Trademark 30. They are everything you want and sound better than you are imagining. As for an interface, I would get an Apogee Duet for Mac and iOS. That would be a solid setup. :coffee:

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Id suggest a Pod HD500x or an Amplifire. I've never touched an amplifire (of which I've heard you don't need to know rocket science to use), but I have an HD500x and it's very reminiscent of rocket science. But once you become a rocket scientist it becomes easy to dial in tones

4Eyes

Reaction score
small audio interface, free amps simps (Lepou Lecto is great, free Recto simulation, available for Mac) and plugins for fx, buy some redwirez IRs or get some free ones, if you have laptop you don't have anything else for portable rig.

NorCal_Val

Reaction score
I agree with 4Eyes. I don't use any gear to record with into Logic. I'm just using
LePou amp sims, and their cab sims. Also, Ignite Amps amp sim and their
OD pedal sim are excellent as well.

Mvotre

Reaction score
Blackstar Id:core amps.

I got a Id:core Beam, but I believe the simpler ones have the same functions: small size, usable tones, aux input AND a usb port, where you can record the audio with the amp effects or just record a clean tone and mess with free plugins later. Has a computer interface for saving presets also.

protest

Reaction score
Reminds me of why I backed the Fryette GP/DI. I would sell mine to you but...I'd have to get it first lol. Outside of the suggestions here you could look into the little Joyo amp that's coming out at some point this year. I think it's going to be around $200 and is based on a recto. There's also the little Hotone Heart Attack that is also based on a recto. Doesn't get any smaller than that one.

lewis

Reaction score
Kemper. Pricey (although cheaper than an Axe FX) but you will never need another amp for home playing and high end recording ever again. I just picked one up and Im glad I did

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions (feel free to keep them coming). Looks like there is quite a variety of options which is a good thing. I actually was considering a Kemper for a while (I appreciated that its lunchbox shape was better for me than a rack unit) although it suffers from the same problem as the Axe FX, namely that I would be paying for ton of options that I would never utilize. That and it seemed a tad complicated for me.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Been said above, but a relatively cheap interface and some plugins, either free or paid, would get you a decent practice/recording setup for under $200. Buddy of mine just picked up a Mackie Onyx Blackjack and ReValver 4 and it's a bomb setup for cheap. Sounds great, tons of options, can use other plugins/IRs etc...pretty cool setup for that price.

P-Ride

Reaction score
I don't see much reason for debate here - good soundcard, good monitors and start building your VST library! Apogee are indeed excellent. Some of their soundcards work with iPad too, which for me is a big bonus.

I have no idea why you'd even consider an amp. Your requirements are very similar to mine and I use a TC Electronic Konnekt 8 FireWire soundcard and KRK RP6 monitors. I need a new soundcard and will likely get an Apogee Duet.

I also have a Peavey 6505+ half stack.. Which lives in our studio - where it belongs.

Soundcard and VST amps are what you use to play guitar in an apartment. I think anyone who does anything differently (unless they have a nice detached home with no neighbours) is crazy, personally.

I come home and turn on my iPad running Bias, which runs directly into the back of my soundcard to jam in seconds. Loads of cool apps to run it with via audiobus too.

For recording, I boot up my iMac and tap an AB switch to reroute my signal to my soundcard and start recording in Ableton Live. Sets are saved in my Dropbox and I drive to the studio, where I can reamp with our 6505+ or record again.

To my mind, there are VSTs and then big valve half stacks. I don't have much interest inbetween. I might get a 6505 Pirhana, purely so I can practise with my delay and reverb pedals at home.. That's it.

Axe Cop

Reaction score
THR10X, nothing else close for $300 for an all in one unit.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I use my mac and a scarlett 2i4. Garage Band has lots of tweakability in their rather large amp library, and so long as you have a computer, you're just in for the cost of an interface (easy to find used too) and you can be up and running in no time.

PunchLine

Reaction score
Kemper. Pricey (although cheaper than an Axe FX) but you will never need another amp for home playing and high end recording ever again. I just picked one up and Im glad I did

+1 here. I'd definitely recommend the Kemper Head.

Firstly, it is very portable and lightweight. I can easily carry it in a backpack together with my guitar. My signal goes from the Kemper out to my Mbox recording interface (the first version from wayback when) to Garageband to record and I monitor through the headphones. If I have a chance to play live in the future, absolutely no problem with Kemper as I can go direct to PA.

Secondly, it has absolutely great sounding profiles of tube amps in it, including amazing profiles of Mesa/Boogie amps. The Kemper community is always profiling the amps they have and share it on the Rig Exchange. For example Djemass has just profiled his Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ amp and you can download the profiles here:

--- HOME --- - Site de mark2cplusprofiled !

With this I think you can instantly get Liquid Tension Experiment or Andromeda tones. And some day it you would like to play another amp or get another type of sound, absolutely no problem. You have thousands of free and commercial rigs to choose from.

By the way, I did not hear about Andromeda before, I like them, thanks for introducing them to me by way of this thread :)

Thirdly, it has all the effects, super cool recording and toneshaping-related features that are constantly added to it with free-of-charge FW updates.

I am very busy with my day work and have two little kids at home so I only have very limited time to play/record late at night and I can easily do that with the Kemper. I don't need to spend hours on tweaking the system to get a good sound, but just put my headphones and start playing and recording at the same time. To me, Kemper Profiling Amp is very easy to use as it is designed that way. Its controls and functions are very familiar and intuitive.

Anyway, good luck with your search :)

Nour Ayasso

Reaction score
Just a quick post here: my quiet and portable set up is a macbook, focusrite 2i4, line6pod/farm, and sony 7605's. Pretty much as quiet and portable as you can get, in your case you could even use the axefx as an interface too. I honestly wouldn't waist time with getting an amp in your situation. Hope this helps :yesway:

P-Ride

Reaction score
THR10X, nothing else close for $300 for an all in one unit.

If this had an FX loop, it would be the one home amp I'd own, as (unlike my soundcard setup) I'd be able to use my delay and reverb pedals, without significant footprint.

However, it doesn't. So automatically it's of no use to me, when I own soundcard, monitors and VST.

A shame.

Latest posts

')