Mircroshaft alternatives FTW!

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
I downloaded Ubuntu last night (twice, since I accidently shut the computer down the first time when it was near done. :ugh:), and am installing it on my older machine at home right now. :woohoo:

If this install goes well I may decide to use the OS on another older computer I've got around the house. :yesway:

And thanks for the tips, Samer. :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Ubuntu=yay

Also, speaking of Microsoft alternatives there is also an OS called ReactOS. They're attempting to recreate windows with OSS sensibilities....but, it's still in alpha..

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder how long that will last before they get the shit sued out of them by Microsloth :lol:

OzzyC

Reaction score
I wonder how long that will last before they get the shit sued out of them by Microsloth :lol:

Who knows? From what I've heard, their sue-happy corperate lawyers are substantially faster then their R & D.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score

They almost did, which is why they have gone through a major code audit, making sure there's no Microsoft code in the OS.

It's Windows compatible and will apparently have support for linux as well. I've tryed it out but, at the point it's at now, it's barely usable...

Samer

Dybbuk
Reaction score
I downloaded Ubuntu last night (twice, since I accidently shut the computer down the first time when it was near done. :ugh:), and am installing it on my older machine at home right now. :woohoo:

If this install goes well I may decide to use the OS on another older computer I've got around the house. :yesway:

And thanks for the tips, Samer. :wavey:

Hey no prob man let me know how it works out!

OzzyC

Reaction score
So far I'm about 75% through the installation and things are going smoothly. :yesway:

Right now, the main problem with it is a sticky keyboard. (Not what you're thinking about, you pervs. :squint: :lol:) I've got a bottle of alcohol that'll take care of that, though.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
So far I'm about 75% through the installation and things are going smoothly. :yesway:

Right now, the main problem with it is a sticky keyboard. (Not what you're thinking about, you pervs. :squint: :lol:) I've got a bottle of alcohol that'll take care of that, though.

:lol: You should really rise after each session.

Sorry, I had to go there.

The last linux I used as a desktop was SUSE. What kinds of changes are there in the latest Ubuntu?

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
:yesway:

[action=Leon's]Linux heart grows one size larger.[/action]

Buzz762

Destroyer of Worlds
Contributor
Reaction score
:yesway:

[action=Leon's]Linux heart grows one size larger.[/action]

LG4s.jpg

?

//Photo done with Gimp on SuSE 10.2
///Yeah, I know... I blame any shittyness on me using a laptop to do the edit.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
:lol: You should really rise after each session.

Sorry, I had to go there.

The last linux I used as a desktop was SUSE. What kinds of changes are there in the latest Ubuntu?

too many to mention. It's a fantastic distro, really easy to get stuff you need, add non-free software apps, get DVD playback support. The interface is snappy, feels faster than XP on the same box. Quite impressive. I use SuSe for work, and I still prefer this.

I've just loaded up Kubuntu 7.04 on another work laptop, because I want to see how it is with KDE.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
You could also give Ubuntu Studio a try - if you already have Ubuntu installed you can install everything from Ubuntu Studio into your existing installation, so no worries there, but you can get into free software and audio work at the same time and save tons of money over commercial DAWs.

EDIT: Jeff, I think you had mentioned using the low-latency kernel, or Ubuntu Studio, somewhere in the past - would you mind sharing what latencies you got at different buffer sizes? I'm down to 5ms without that kernel, but if it makes a huge difference and doesn't slow anything else down I might give it a try.

Jeff

OzzyC

Reaction score
I'm starting to like this system. :yesway: Other then it not being fully compatible with PTE it seems to suit my purposes. :D

BTW, I'm posting from the Ubuntu machine right now. (Although, I won't most of the time, I'm just downloading plugins right now.)
I'm considering having the laptop we got recently duel boot vista and this OS, although I'm not sure what my parents have to say. :evil:

Also, I think I remember hearing something about "unlimited resources", where you can load up as much as you want without the computer freezing, and it'll slow down work on inactive items. Is that true with this system?

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Reaction score
anyone tried PCLOS? its badass. has all the media codecs, and stuff pre-installed. its the most complete out-of-the-box linux OS, im pretty sure of it. its its repo's there are about 6000+ more apps, games, and utils you can load up with a couple clicks. and its sooo sezzzy lookin, rofl. boring ass name though. heh.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I just tried out some stuff like Berry linux, it was pretty freakin sweet, there are tons of awesome distros out there, I would know, I have 6 pages of linux distros in my DVD binder :lol:

Reaction score
rofl. I too, and sort of a Distro collector. i've got everything from Redhat 5.2 to DragonLinux, to the latest Fedora Core. rofl. have yet to try Berry, i i have the ISO, rofl.

OzzyC

Reaction score
Well, my Vista/Ubuntu dual boot plan is failing. My mom said this morning:
My mother said:
It's a new computer, don't put anything on it; it works, don't do anything
:noway:

Latest posts

')