Mishas Sig?

Pav

???
Reaction score
I get the sense you own Jackson CS guitars that look like this (the top is all inlay work by the way.) :

fe2856387000-xl-02.jpg

Add more MOP in the skull and abalone in the fish and sure, it pretty much looks like one of my guitars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Possessed

Reaction score
Found something interesting from CMC Guitars

Jackson USA Misha Mansoor Juggernaut HT7 Silver Burst Sparkle 7 String Guitar Specs:
Body: Caramelized Basswood

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
^ People with no experience with basswood will still hate it because it's basswood :lol:

I've heard some really dumb complaints about it, then forward videos of several basswood guitars that sound fantastic. Dunno why people are so opposed to it.

MrYakob

Reaction score
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that the non figured top models were basswood? Unless you're pointing out the Caramelized part, which I can't say that I've ever seen before

Possessed

Reaction score
At least i dont know the body wood is baked until i read the specs from CMC guitar

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
I love me some basswood. Paulownia, too, though that one might be a bit too light. There are some guitars that are made out of straight garbage that sound great. A buddy of mine made a body out of a cutting board once for ....s and giggles and it sounded pretty good.

But yeah, it's the "caramelized" part that's weird to me. I'm assuming it's, as has been hinted at, just a buzzword to make people think that it's not "just" basswood.

Possessed

Reaction score
I love me some basswood. Paulownia, too, though that one might be a bit too light. There are some guitars that are made out of straight garbage that sound great. A buddy of mine made a body out of a cutting board once for ....s and giggles and it sounded pretty good.

But yeah, it's the "caramelized" part that's weird to me. I'm assuming it's, as has been hinted at, just a buzzword to make people think that it's not "just" basswood.

The aim of caramelization is to make the basswood more robust against outside environmental changes, as Guthrie Govan did on his signature Charvel.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
The aim of caramelization is to make the basswood more robust against outside environmental changes, as Guthrie Govan did on his signature Charvel.

The body doesn't need to be any more robust against outside environmental changes. Guthrie's Charvel has a roasted neck.

Possessed

Reaction score
The body doesn't need to be any more robust against outside environmental changes. Guthrie's Charvel has a roasted neck.

Sorry you are wrong. Only the few prototypes at the beginning have normal basswood body. Rest of them in the market now have Roasted Basswood body :fawk:

Charvel® Guitars
Caramelized Basswood with Bird's Eye Maple Top
Caramelized Basswood Body with Flame Maple Top

Dont underestimate my addiction to Jackson and Charvel :lol:

narad

Reaction score
Sorry you are wrong. Only the few prototypes at the beginning have normal basswood body. Rest of them in the market now have Roasted Basswood body :fawk:

Charvel® Guitars
Caramelized Basswood with Bird's Eye Maple Top
Caramelized Basswood Body with Flame Maple Top

Dont underestimate my addiction to Jackson and Charvel :lol:

I might be wrong, by omission, in the triviality of not knowing/stating that the Charvels now had roasted bodies as well, but I think you're wrong in its purpose: it does not seem very plausible that the body of a solidbody guitar, which is a thick, wide slab of wood sitting under sealer, paint/stain, and clear, and is not being acted upon by nearly as much constant force as a guitar neck, would need roasting to somehow improve how well it fares in different environments. I don't remember hearing any account of a warped solidbody guitar body.

On the other hand, people like to build with dry wood, and baking it makes it drier without requiring it sit around for months/years in a climate controlled room. I don't have any proof as to why it's done, but that seems a hell of a lot more sensible to me, personally.

bulb

Reaction score
The basswood is baked for stability. Keep in mind, Jackson/Charvel are building the guitars so that the signature artists play the EXACT same models as the end consumer.

For that reason, even though the grand majority of people are gonna baby the guitar and probably won't be traveling through crazy climate changes, every guitar is built to withstand that abuse. For that reason they have been using cooked basswood as of late. Doesn't affect the tone, just makes everything rock solid.

narad

Reaction score
Whelp, I stand corrected. Raises the question of why the alder isn't baked.

bulb

Reaction score
Whelp, I stand corrected. Raises the question of why the alder isn't baked.

Alder is A LOT more stable. Basswood is incredibly porous and malleable by comparison, the running joke at Jackson is that it will dent if you look at it funny. Cooking isn't needed for most other woods really.

Possessed

Reaction score
Stability = robust against envrionment changes. Sorry i can not see why my point is wrong :scratch:

xzacx

Reaction score
I'm going to do a proper double NGD in the 6 string forum later, but my battery was dying. I figured I'd post a preview here though since this is where all the interest is.

I picked up an unlikely pair of guitars this week - I was looking for a 335 when I had the chance to play an HT6, and couldn't resist. I've seen this exact top criticized in here, but I love it personally. It's not the super symmetric tubular quilts that some have, but I think it's far more interesting. Looks so different from every angle. I didn't buy it to look at it though - I would have taken any finish/top after playing one.

I think these two guitars show a really interesting contrast though when it comes to tops. There's so much more variation in a thick carved top, as opposed to the thin laminate of the 335.

25zm1ki.jpg

nicktao

Reaction score
Damn, I really don't know what I should go for anymore haha. I was originally going to get a seven and was looking at a JP, but then I saw these along with the recent Kiesel Vaders and now I have no idea.

Latest posts

')