Mishas Sig?

nicktao

Reaction score
This isn't aimed at any guitar in particular, but why is it really rare to see a perfect bookmatched top that looks proper from all angles? Is it just the nature of the wood and the lighting/angle?
I know it also depends on the thickness of the top, but I've only seen a few guitars with a perfect bookmatch.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pav

???
Reaction score
This isn't aimed at any guitar in particular, but why is it really rare to see a perfect bookmatched top that looks proper from all angles? Is it just the nature of the wood and the lighting/angle?
I know it also depends on the thickness of the top, but I've only seen a few guitars with a perfect bookmatch.

It's the nature of wood. Just because the grain looks one way on the surface doesn't mean it will be completely uniform throughout. The thicker the top, the higher the chance the grain will deviate somewhere inside.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score

Plus also when a top is bookmatched, you lose a certain amount of wood depending on how thick the saw blade is.

Angelus

Reaction score
Long story short... Once I purchased mine at Wild West Guitars, I offered to let misha use it for the clinic after the guitar was set up. I spoke to Misha and asked for a video interview. He was nice enough to let me film the process and describe the specs of the model. It's actually on YouTube right now. :) Anyway, a couple hours after the interview, the performance began and misha played a few songs with it. Once it was over, he did a meet and greet. I was lucky enough to get the backplate signed. :)

Do you have the youtube link? Thanks

shpence

Reaction score
I know it has been discussed throughout this thread but what is the consensus on best vendor(s) to go through? I was thinking Sweetwater but the recent price change has made me think again.

bulb

Reaction score
I know it has been discussed throughout this thread but what is the consensus on best vendor(s) to go through? I was thinking Sweetwater but the recent price change has made me think again.

The guys at Wild West Guitars, Capitol Guitars and The Guitar Sanctuary were all really awesome when I did the clinic run, and they all really knew their stuff, also The Axe Palace is a ss.org favorite and if you ask nicely, you might could convince Nick to honor the old price!

bulb

Reaction score

It's just the nature of wood. I have some guitars with some absolutely insane 4A/5A tops, and there is always a certain angle where the bookmatch will look more even or be more pronounced, and there is another angle where the top will not look incredibly impressive haha.

big_aug

Reaction score
I asked before and didn't see a response. Will there be an import version or strictly USA?

shpence

Reaction score
The guys at Wild West Guitars, Capitol Guitars and The Guitar Sanctuary were all really awesome when I did the clinic run, and they all really knew their stuff, also The Axe Palace is a ss.org favorite and if you ask nicely, you might could convince Nick to honor the old price!

Your attentiveness to sales and quality-related matters has been one of the many reasons I've been excited to order guitar. Thanks!

Braden717

Reaction score

I wish the axe palace would do a clinic with you. Make that happen ; )!

bulb

Reaction score
I wish the axe palace would do a clinic with you. Make that happen ; )!

I would love that. The dealers and Jackson were very happy with the first clinic run I did, so Jackson wants to put together an east coast run for me, just need to work out the details, I would love to hit The Axe Palace then!

Bigredjm15

Reaction score
It's just the nature of wood. I have some guitars with some absolutely insane 4A/5A tops, and there is always a certain angle where the bookmatch will look more even or be more pronounced, and there is another angle where the top will not look incredibly impressive haha.

There is one angle, an awkward angle that if you look at my HT7 looks like a plain blue guitar. I can only speak to the Laguna Burst but it is, as Misha said, completely light dependent. Some pictures I've managed to grab blow my mind. If inconsistency is a concern, get the matte blue frost, silver burst, or matte black. Those should be almost flawless.

mniel8195

Reaction score
Im not sure but do these come with NYXL's? the strings that came in the guitar case don't say anything

MattThePenguin

Reaction score
I would love that. The dealers and Jackson were very happy with the first clinic run I did, so Jackson wants to put together an east coast run for me, just need to work out the details, I would love to hit The Axe Palace then!

Yeah if you could come anywhere near Atlanta that would be pretty freaking rad. Maybe let your guy at Jackson know ;D?

SonicBlur

Reaction score

Stop by Chicago! We have pizza!! LOL

Braden717

Reaction score

So, just talked to Nick at the axe palace and he did put in a request with Jackson for a clinic with you. He told me to tell Jackson I was interested. How should I go about that exactly?

')