Mishas Sig?

GXPO

Reaction score
Good advice as always chaps! +imagination rep.

I went ahead and bought the HT6 in Amber Tiger, will post pics when it arrives. Thanks again!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Casper777

Slow Player
Reaction score
Hey just put my deposit for the Orange Limited Edition :)

Will be soon part of the family!

By the way I always liked the Dinky series at Jackson guitars better than the rest of the line...

pott

Reaction score
I've just watched Misha's video presenting the guitar and I have some questions. I'm hesitating between an HT7 and an Aristides 070, since I pretty much gave up on finding decent hardtail 7s in 25.5" scale length.

But on the video, Misha presents an admittedly gorgeous amber HT6, which had a 3 pieces back and a very bland, single piece maple neck.
For the price I find this very disappointing. The neck I can forgive (it's quartersawn and has graphite reinforcements, so fair enough). But with a transparent finish, I'd expect at most a two pieces body symmetrically joined.

How have your own HT7 held up on the timber side of things? Note that I am asking this purely on the cosmetics side of things. I have 0 beliefs that less pieces = more tone. I do, though, believe that manufacturers should put the effort to keep their multi pieces bodies for solid colors, and make the effort to present matched two pieces (or single piece, who knows) bodies otherwise.

No comments from owners?

I've visited the Aristides workshop and and speced and ordered an O7O there instead. Hard to find HTs to try here or anywhere I travel, and the timber findings made me a feel a little demotivated.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
The concept of multiple laminated woods is for the purpose of stability when it comes to necks, multi-piece bodies aren't inferior to one piece bodies. It's a production line, and they're not going to separate body woods on that level for the sake of a cosmetic feature that you literally will not look at unless you look at your guitars instead of playing them. My HT6 is a one piece body and the 7 is a 2 piece body.

As far as the neck, it's a signature and it's not your preference or mine but the person who designed it. Wenge/Rosewood/Flame Maple/etc are all fine and dandy for guys like me who record more than they're out performing. And those might look cool, but try touring with exotic woods and let us know how that turns out for you. I have never had to adjust my truss rod, save for a string gauge change to keep the neck relief set the same way it was with heavier strings. The stability of a one piece maple neck has been proven time and time again.

Aristides is fantastic as well, some of the best guitars ever and great people. You'll enjoy your 070 when you get it. If there's anything to complain about it's the lack of quality tops coming out, and while looking for an Amber HT6 with a nice top it's hard to want to fork over the cash for something that looks like this

jhhvf47qh08sory9zpzn.jpg

EDIT: There's actually some really nice ones on Reverb, but I'd hate to buy blind and end up with a guitar that looked like that when all the promotional videos are pushing the model with a top like this

http://imgur.com/a/y6g73

pott

Reaction score
Assembly line or not, for the price, I'd expect the multi-pieces back to be reserved for instruments where they would not be viewed. Especially given your comment that your various HTs have varying amount of pieces at the back. I'd expect this to be standard practice for some manufacturers (interesting fact, given that I'm fine cosmetically with 1 or 2 pieces back but always find 3 pieces to look 'off' for some reason). As it says on my post, this is purely cosmetic and my comment had nothing to do with stability for the body.

About the neck, I'm not sure why you bring up exotic woods. My comment was, again, purely on the cosmetics of things ('bland'). I know what a signature model is, and I'm not suggesting Misha changes it. Like I said right on the post, while it's something I'm not 100% in tune with, it's also something I can easily let go; I appreciate reinforced necks, and if not, it's not like adjusting them is hard.

I have an O6O already, so yeah, will definitely like the O7O.
Didn't quite know about the bland tops issue... I guess I did well not going for an HT7 then, all things considered.

Casper777

Slow Player
Reaction score
Ok so I thought it might be of interest for some...

I just have been quoted "October" for the arrival of my HT6 Orange Limbo... not that bad, but I wasn't expected so much wait :lol: well... guess it will have to be considered as my Christmas gift!!

JohnTanner

Derpin' on the guitar since 2003
Reaction score
Yikes, had no idea the tops could vary so much cosmetically. I think I'll have to wait till a dealer gets one in to see it in the flesh before I seriously consider buying one.

undead115

Reaction score
I think you will be stoked, so I say we keep it a surprise hehe.
the only case candy i got was a guitar strap. i reserved my amber tiger eye ht6 from sam ash and i took pics that day showing the rest of the case candy i didnt get. i picked up the guitar the very next day and i asked them where the rest of the stuff was and they said it only comes with a strap. i also paid extra to extend the warranty (wich i also didnt get). what should i do? i really want that case candy that a sam ash employee must have in their room right now! and the warranty too. i cant sleep at night thinking about the warranty and case candy i didnt get. i have all reciepts and the sellers info (he gave me his card) its been over two months so i cant return it and buy elsewhere. help! should i contact jackson? or sam ash?

The 1

Reaction score
the only case candy i got was a guitar strap. i reserved my amber tiger eye ht6 from sam ash and i took pics that day showing the rest of the case candy i didnt get. i picked up the guitar the very next day and i asked them where the rest of the stuff was and they said it only comes with a strap. i also paid extra to extend the warranty (wich i also didnt get). what should i do? i really want that case candy that a sam ash employee must have in their room right now! and the warranty too. i cant sleep at night thinking about the warranty and case candy i didnt get. i have all reciepts and the sellers info (he gave me his card) its been over two months so i cant return it and buy elsewhere. help! should i contact jackson? or sam ash?

That blows dude. This is definitely a failing on Sam Ash's part so try bringing it up with them first. They probably can't do anything about the case candy, but if you paid for warranty, then they need to give it to you or refund it.

Passtheapathy

Reaction score
Yikes, had no idea the tops could vary so much cosmetically. I think I'll have to wait till a dealer gets one in to see it in the flesh before I seriously consider buying one.

It's just so difficult to capture the tops properly in pictures. My laguna burst HT6 can look pretty boring in the wrong light at the wrong angle. But it actually has a top so utterly gorgeous that it looks straight out of Misha's collection. You can also just ask for a few extra pictures from different angles if you want to buy it online like I did.

That amber tiger eye picture looks downright awful, and it definitely isn't nearly as intricate and eye catching as some others I've seen - but, I wonder how it looks from an angle with the right light.

illimmigrant

A Different Logic
Reaction score
... If there's anything to complain about it's the lack of quality tops coming out, and while looking for an Amber HT6 with a nice top it's hard to want to fork over the cash for something that looks like this

EDIT: There's actually some really nice ones on Reverb, but I'd hate to buy blind and end up with a guitar that looked like that when all the promotional videos are pushing the model with a top like this

http://imgur.com/a/y6g73

I agree the tops have not been super consistent. I think I'd rather see less of these guitars made so that they carry the right tops instead of whatever they have around. It took me months of browsing to find the Amber HT6 that I own. I also got it through Reverb from a store called Eddie's Guitars in St. Louis. As soon as I saw the picture I contacted the seller to make sure that was the exact guitar being shipped. Their picture was not edited or over-hyped, but you could tell the top was going to look nice.
I've posted a picture on a prior page, so I won't take up the room again, but it's on this post: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showpost.php?p=4614887&postcount=1669

It is an awesome guitar though. For being some else's design, it feels right at home in my hands.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I agree the tops have not been super consistent. I think I'd rather see less of these guitars made so that they carry the right tops instead of whatever they have around. It took me months of browsing to find the Amber HT6 that I own.

Your amber one is super nice. Maybe I'm asking too much but I could definitely rationalize paying $300 more for a Misha-grade top, if only they would do it.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
but, I wonder how it looks from an angle with the right light.

It doesn't change much, the amber guitars are stained pretty heavily to set the figure of the maple in and what that does is throw away about 70% of the variance you'll see on the laguna stain guitars.

The most you'll see is the dark areas of the figure widen and a bit more contrast around the edges of each ripple (?). I also agree, I wouldn't buy one without shopping around and checking out what they look like firsthand.

Your amber one is super nice. Maybe I'm asking too much but I could definitely rationalize paying $300 more for a Misha-grade top, if only they would do it.

I wouldn't do that, just because there are still some situations where you get a really average/subpar top for an upcharge cost. But most of the time you'll be good paying an upcharge.

kabz

Reaction score
Tried an HT7 yesterday and the sound was great, very even clarity as every string was audible on a dual rec, totally see the draw with these electronics.

HOWEVER, the build quality I didn't love -- especially for that price.
This could have easily been 2,000-2,500 given the structure of how they set up the signature deal, everyone wants to make money on this guitar (Misha, Jackson, and reseller) so I get the high tag, but it sure as hell does not FEEL as good as other axes in this price range.

The top was pretty, but it didn't blow me away, and I love how it looks in photos, in person -- not so much
Kinda disappointed all around, definitely not even considering it as my next 7string purchase. (And I'm looking in the 2K-3K range).

Compared to my PRS Quilted 10-Top -- the top on my PRS is far superior. The build of it and playability is superior, albeit being a totally different set up guitar. Still, unless you're on par or better than a PRS for example, I can't invest my money in it.
I have been set on buying a Kiesel, but after trying the Ernie Ball Majesty, Suhr (which was just okay), and Tom Anderson guitars (simply incredible), this guitar feels like Jackson is cackling behind closed doors, loving how the Periphery fan boys (which I am totally one, seeing them live this week) will just eat up this guitar.

pott

Reaction score
What did you feel wasn't great about the build quality? Or did you mean more the choice of materials? (you mentioned the top, was there anything else?)

Casper777

Slow Player
Reaction score
Tried an HT7 yesterday and the sound was great, very even clarity as every string was audible on a dual rec, totally see the draw with these electronics.

This could have easily been 2,000-2,500 given the structure of how they set up the signature deal, everyone wants to make money on this guitar (Misha, Jackson, and reseller) so I get the high tag, but it sure as hell does not FEEL as good as other axes in this price range.

The top was pretty, but it didn't blow me away, and I love how it looks in photos, in person -- not so much
Kinda disappointed all around, definitely not even considering it as my next 7string purchase. (And I'm looking in the 2K-3K range).

Compared to my PRS Quilted 10-Top -- the top on my PRS is far superior. The build of it and playability is superior, albeit being a totally different set up guitar. Still, unless you're on par or better than a PRS for example, I can't invest my money in it.
I have been set on buying a Kiesel, but after trying the Ernie Ball Majesty, Suhr (which was just okay), and Tom Anderson guitars (simply incredible), this guitar feels like Jackson is cackling behind closed doors, loving how the Periphery fan boys (which I am totally one, seeing them live this week) will just eat up this guitar.

Is the "quality" of a guitar only related to the amount of figuring on the top for you?!?:scratch:

and even on esthetics, it's not fair to compare a PRS 10-top which is a costly option to the Jackson top! An artist top will be even better, but way more expensive.

Having many high end guitars (Suhr, PRS, Mayo) I'm really looking forward to making a review of the Jackson when I get it, as I have NEVER played one (yep it happens...). will let you know in a few weeks!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

The Jackson has a 3A top so it is what it is, not sure what people aren't grasping about that.

It really sounds like you're confusing personal preference with build quality... or you found a dud Suhr which is not easy to do along with a dud Misha sig. Suhr and Anderson are usually virtually identical in build quality with different feel, and again in the same ballpark as PRS.

I don't own one of these and am unlikely to buy one, but I've seen enough guys that I know that know quality guitars talking about how great these are and have played enough USA Jacksons to say something doesn't add up with what you're saying :2c: What were the actual issues with the Jackson, or did you just not like the top and feel of the guitar?

')