Misophonia, Stop chewing or I will kill you.

• Thread starter wookie606
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

faceforward_007

Land of Ice and Snow
Reaction score
^ Nope just you, lol
I work with a guy who sucks air in his teeth, like he has a piece of meat stuck, but does it all day. I commented everytime he did it, but it really didn't work, just pissed him off more. So I decided to clear my throat whenever he sucks his teeth, and it drives him nuts! He's pretty much quit that annoying habit now, I found it amusing

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stevo1

ClearTrack Studios
Reaction score
I can't stand the sound of chewing with their mouth's open.

I also have a friend that, when he eats, sounds like a fucking Dog eating dog food with gravy in it. The slurps, the gargles, the heavy breathing, and the lackluster, monotonous stare, makes me want to bash my head in.

Dan_Vacant

Reaction score
my dad had a room mate that was louder then a jet when he ate, or drank he was loud even sleeping, but what made it worse is when he got some program on his computer he would be like "hey Dan check this out and I'm just going to stand 1/8" behind you and slurp this food." "Don't bother turning up your music I'll match the fucking volume" He neve rsaid that but I'm convinced he thought it. Other then that he's a cool guy.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm necrobumping this because, after some 12 years, I finally found that this is an actual condition. I'm extremely relieved in a way, because I thought I was just crazy. I've had this since I'm about 10 years old. People's chewing makes me rage and fire up inside. It's bad. It's a mix of all of the most horrible of human emotions put together. Parting ways with the love of my life wasn't as painful as being next to my mother while she's chewing gum. I literally want to either break her jaw, or stick a drill inside my ears and gouge my eyeballs out with a spoon, but it just has to somehow stop. Just seeing her chewing gum pisses me the f*ck off. The mere smell of spearmint combined with the knowledge that she's close by sets all my alarm systems on, and I immediately want to get the f*ck out of there. At least she somewhat understands it now, and makes a conscious effort so that I don't notice when she's chewing gum, or just doesn't do it altogether when I'm around.

Worst thing is, my father still doesn't understand it. It's not quite as bad as my mother's chewing, but ever since he quit smoking and drinking (both cold turkey, and almost at the same time), he got into the nasty habit of chewing gum whenever he's home. Literally every f*cking minute from the moment he arrives from work until he goes to bed. And I feel like f*cking MURDERING his face. I avoid him like the plague whenever he's around and chewing gum. I have to be at least two rooms away, because he's f*cking LOUD. Don't get me wrong, my family are EVERYTHING to me, and I feel extremely guilty about it, but I've imagined the most horrendous and painful death scenarios for every person that has ever been a trigger for my misophonic rage.

Also, I have a lot of classes in university during noon, or at dinner time, and some people eat in class. Most people don't sound like a knife in a sink grinder, but there have been a couple lectures that I almost completely missed because some dumbf*ck was munching nachos halfway across the auditorium, and it sounded as if someone had put marbles inside a blender and turned it on. It's so f*cking painful. The worst thing is, I'm conscious that that person could be the most awesome human being on the planet, and we could be amazing friends, but the chances of me befriending them become very small on the sole basis that he/she will piss me off if I ever hear them chewing their food.

It saddens me, really, because I feel extremely guilty about it afterwards, and I can't control it. It's an instantaneous response that my douchebag brain has that makes me want to massacre and torture human beings. I remember when it started for me as a kid. I was ashamed to tell my parents about it, and my mom would chew as f*cking loudly as humanly possible on our way home after she'd pick me up from school. When I got home, I went to my room, slammed the door behind me, locked it, and literally cried myself to sleep.

This is quite an accurate representation of what goes on in my head during the act:

Just for clarification, I don't think my life revolves around that issue as much as I might make it seem :lol:, but there definitely are instances where I just can't stand it, and it temporarily alters my mood and personality. I become very quiet and reserved, and even hostile at points, but never aggressive (thankfully).

It'd be wonderful if I could stop it, and I've tried with everything I could to stop it (including exposure to the problem), but I still can't stand it. Learning that this is an actual thing and that there are a few online communities of people with misophonia is a huge breath of fresh air for me. I might actually find something to at least relieve the burden that my asshole brain constantly puts on me.

Here's the webpage I've been browsing through since I learned about the condition (roughly about an hour ago :lol:):

Misophonia Online | The HUB

Also, I apologize for the long rant, but it's been 12 years of pure, unadulterated rage that I have bottled up :lol:

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I can't really relate to you guys. There really aren't any sounds that make me mad inherently. The closest thing I can think of is the sounds my brother makes when he comes home. He stresses me out so much with his alcoholism that when I hear him downstairs, I can feel my heart start beating faster. I get angry immediately, even if he hasn't pissed me off recently.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Hhmmm, interesting. I'm not sure what I would categorize that as, but it sounds like it might stem from a really bad encounter with your brother (or several stressful encounters) and you fear something like that happening again. It sounds more or less rational. I wouldn't rule out misophonia for your case (as I'm really just speculating here... I'm no psychologist/psychiatrist), but the thing about it is that it is completely involuntary (which you do seem to have), irrational, and you normally feel bad about it, because you know you have no reason to feel, not annoyed, but absolutely enraged at such trivial things. It's a very, very strong and irrational sense of fight-or-flight.

Latest posts

')