Mix Test

• Thread starter Duosphere
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Duosphere

(oYo) Lover
Reaction score
Hey guys what do you think about this mix?
It's a tiny mix just trying to achieve what I want, it's not a song.
I need opinions from different types of listeners like laptop listener, good speakers listener, car listener etc.
Thanks ;)

Thunder

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Asthenea

Reaction score
Sounds like its clipping a bit! But other then that, pretty clear! Using my M-Audio BX5 monitors

NickLAudio

Reaction score
I hear just the slightest clipping and pumping. I think it's the kick drum causing it. Listened with a sub and guitars have too much low end making them a bit muddy. Just a few tweaks here and there, you'll be on the right track.

Chris_ONiP

Reaction score
I hear clipping on the top end too and i'm using KRK Rokit 6's it sounds to me like the cymbals are being crushed too hard by compression

BillMurray

Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like some clipping is going on there.

And yeah, perhaps another hi pass filter, or two, on the guitars. They are quite bassey.

All in all though, sounds pretty good .

Duosphere

(oYo) Lover
Reaction score
I hear just the slightest clipping and pumping. I think it's the kick drum causing it. Listened with a sub and guitars have too much low end making them a bit muddy. Just a few tweaks here and there, you'll be on the right track.

I hear clipping on the top end too and i'm using KRK Rokit 6's it sounds to me like the cymbals are being crushed too hard by compression

Yeah, sounds like some clipping is going on there.

And yeah, perhaps another hi pass filter, or two, on the guitars. They are quite bassey.

All in all though, sounds pretty good .

Guys I don't know what you mean with clipping cause it's mastered, nothing is clipping here, drums bus have only a limiter set to -1 only to avoid clipping, nothing is pumping them so I don't know why cymbals sound crushed .About guitars having too much low end, I put a hi pass filter around 150 Hz, at least here I can hear bass perfectly so guitars are not fighting it.
Could uploading caused those matters?
Thanks to you all for listening and telling me your opinions :yesway:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
cause it's mastered

Clipping doesn't always mean during the master- or it could be a result of the master. Anything in the mix, or even before the mix, can clip. If your mix is super loud and you limit the snot out of it, it can sound like clipping too.

Edit:
the cymbals are being crushed too hard by compression

Duosphere

(oYo) Lover
Reaction score
Clipping doesn't always mean during the master- or it could be a result of the master. Anything in the mix, or even before the mix, can clip. If your mix is super loud and you limit the snot out of it, it can sound like clipping too.

Edit:

Yep, mix is not super loud,it's about -3dbs without any limiter in the mater bus, I left room for mastering.
Mastering is not really pushing hard, at least not as hard as I use to hear on forums.
I hear no clipping here so I can't fix it ;)

iceythe

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
The low end from rhythm guitars is soft clipping on palm mutes, especially on the left side. This squashes your mix making it sound like you just stuck a brickwall limiter and turned knobs to 11. Surely you can feel your left ear tingle? ;P Compress them or take out at least 5dB from 100Hz.

Edit: Listened on AKG 701s and DT770s

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
It's not how much you push it, it's how you push it. The palm mutes on guitar and the kick drum is definitely clipping here. Also, I'll note here that clipping is not always something you can see in your DAW going red. In this case it's just you "clipping" the audio too much so that the signal distorts...

davidgotmilk

Reaction score
Decent mix, I can hear all the instruments just fine. But just a few things I noticed,

I agree with the above, I do hear some kind of clipping on the guitars when you palm mute. Just because the signal is not clipping in the DAW meter, doesn't mean its not clipping. For example, If I set my gain all the way up on my audio interface, I'm clipping, but in the DAW the meter doesn't say I'm clipping, I have it at a average level. Perhaps check your interface. Most interfaces have some kind of indication (for me its a red light) that you are clipping. Could've clipped your guitars during tracking.

Secondly, What did you use for drums? In my opinion and personal taste, I think it lacks some clarity, now that doesn't automatically mean boost the highs, it could also mean that things are just muddy, and some mids need to be taken out. The kick sounds a bit muddy/boomy don't know how to describe. Perhaps you've over compressed.

I just feel the lower end is muddy, could be the bass, could be the kick, or could be the guitars, or could be combinations.

Take a look a Systematic Guide to Mixing, Theres a metal and a rock approach to most things in the book, but definitely help.

Hope this helps you in some way!

')